What Train Engines do you usally see in your town/city?

As I said, I'm not 100% sure of this.

!!!

I just remembered! There was a variation of the U50C that used two connected 4-axle trucks at each end! I wouldn't really call it an "8-wheel" though, more like a 4-and-4-wheel.

Lessee if I can find a pic...

9951a_sp-u50-gene_mckinley.jpg

Found one!

And even a Wiki article on the U50, which is what this is. The U50C ran on 6-wheel trucks.

Last edited:
I have to post this.
In the main town:
QR:
Passenger:
EMU, SMU Mk1, SMU MK2, SMU Mk2GT classes
Freight:
1700, 2000, 2300 classes

Last edited:
Depends
On coal trains I see Dash-9's, AC-4400's, SD-70's SD-80's, SD-90s
On through frights: SD-70's, SD-75's and the Occasional BN SD40
On locals: An ex D&RGW GP-30 and a BNSF GP38-2
And I also live in 3985 and 844 territory

NS SD70M-2

All I see in my home town are the NS Dash 9's, and NS ES40DC(GEVO). What I'm wanting to see is an NS SD70M-2. I'v only seen videos and pictures of them. And now, I really want to see one.

I see.....

Acela trains
Subway cars from R32-R160
NJT Alp 46
Amtrak Aem-7
Vactraks
M7
M3
P32
LIRR double-decks
Airtrain
And a hell a lot more

Last edited:
SD70ACe
SD70M
SD70MAC
SD70M-2
SD40-2
SD45
SD50
SD60
SD70
GP38-2
GP40-2
SW1500
AC4400
ES44AC
D9-40CW
GP9
AC6000
C30-7
SD40T-2
SD45T-2
and more

I live in a rural area and I don't live close to any railways, but when I do come across railways I see diesel and electric multiple units.
:( Boring Southern*.

*My local train operating company

CP Rail

Ummm most of what I get over here in Toronto is:

CP SD9043MAC
CP AC4400CW
CP ES44AC
CP SD40-2
CP GP9u
CP GP40/38 (Sometimes)

:cool:

RP40-2Cs, RP39-2Cs, F40s, and the occasional F59PHI. I take the Virginia Railway Express home from school so I see these all the time; they have some really old equipment. Other than that, mostly CSX and NS units with large amounts of garbage and/or orange juice in tow. Washington D.C. has some weird trains going through it.

your sig roorocz, zwab got banned.

I usually get older EMD power, like anything from a GP7 to a GP29 (and anything in between), also a few GP35/38's, and there's even a BL20-2, which to me looks like a GP60.

The local shortline railroad (San Joaquin Valley Railroad) has been leasing power or buying and not repainting power, because I see green & white California Northern engines (similar to the ones on the DLS), relettered CEFX purple & gray, and even a Canadian RailLink (the BL20-2)

So there is quite some nice older power rollin' through, even if they only go 15-20 MPH!

A few years ago, I remember seeing one Geep pull some 50+ cars, loaded and empty, but it's too bad I didn't get a video or pics!

The worst thing about the railroad is that lately(within the last 2 years), almost every engine (and most cars) has at least one type of gaffiti on it. It is kinda sad to see all these engines all painted up like they are. And the company isn't even covering it up!

Last edited:
NR class deisels mostly with an occaisional G class hauling white ballast to Pt Adelaide, and once in a very blue moon we get WA K class deisels hauling ballast... but thats been a while ago now.:wave:

In order of frequency and boringness...

Class 450 :sleep:
Class 444 :sleep:
Class 159 :sleep:
Class 158 :sleep:
Class 66/0 EWS :sleep:
Class 66/5 or /6 FL :sleep:
Class 66/7 GBRf :sleep:

*snore*

And a few kettl's in the summer. :D
34067, 35028, 850, 30777, 6233.

Guess where I live ;) ,
Robert

well pretty much everything emd still ever made from about 1958 onwards. and quite a varity from other makers as well. including a fair balanced slight majority of stuff made by pretty much all makers in north america since the 90s too.

roseville does have a major maintaince, though not rebuild, facility, as well as what WAS the largest freight yard, before the construction of the one in colton sometime in the 60s, west of the mississippi.

so there are always more kinds coming in and out then i any more keep up with knowing. everything from the latest super power units from emd and ge, back to the old f7 b units that are perminently solid drawbar coupled to the rotary snow plows that are stabled here when not needed in the summer, which provide power to the traction motors which replaced the boilers in the rotorys when they were rebuilt in the mid 50s.

only problem of course, is its all north american standard gauge freight opperation oriented. not that i don't appreciate, i mean being next to it is one of the reasons i first moved down here to this town, out of my hills i would otherwise rather be living in.

i would like to see narrow gauge and very narrow gauge mu's replacing the automobile, as i believe likely to happen, when the economics of oil becomes less favorable as the inevitable down hill slide of oil economics takes hold once, or possibly now that, peak production is, or will soon be, past.

=^^=
.../\...

Last edited:
CSX SD40's, or GP38-2's, when I'm in the US, and the Acela Express. Is anyone familiar with the yard next to Circuit City in North Haven?

yeah, im in new haven, so i know it...

anyways, I see the Shore Line East, Amtrak Regionals, Vermonters, Acela Expresses, Metro Norths.. and theres some metroliner cars in New Haven too.. and an old Pennsylvania car

Round here the local services are usually made up of Class 315 stock which runs in either 4 car or 8 car sets. The 'fast' services are made up of Class 321 and nice modern class 360.

Sometimes the odd diesel powered class 170s can be seen usually on a 'fast' service.

The Express trains from Liverpool street are handled by class 91 and sometimes 90 with Mk 3 coaches.

Freight services are usually pulled by Class 66 locos operated by EWS or Railfrieght, usually pulling container trains from Harwich and Felixstowe ports further up the coast, but sometimes the odd 'Lafarge' quarry train as well, on very rare occasions you sometimes see Class 37's and I've even seen a double Class 20 hauling a freight train once, very very noisy!

Not very exciting really, but I'm sure I saw a Nuclear container train up the road from here once. :hehe:

Last edited:
Back