What is this?

... a necessary piece of equipment, because by fitting it in that position it in now virtually impossible to see the what is ahead of the locomotive.

... a necessary piece of equipment, because by fitting it in that position it in now virtually impossible to see the what is ahead of the locomotive.

I was thinking the same thing!

The device couldn't have been mounted between the windows on the frame?

John

Normally they look down the track. But most that I've seen also aren't that big. Amtrak's appear to be about the size of 2 GoPros.
It should be mentioned that the device is on the conductor's side so it isn't blocking the engineers view as much.

peter

Here is Amtrak's for reference. It's the little grey-white box in the windscreen below the "dash board" (has a black circle on it).
Biden-Foxx-Amtrak.JPG

Here's another view of an ACe cab, device is still there, but you can see it isn't the biggest thing blocking the engineer's view.
NS1002km9.jpg

I wonder if it isn't something to do with the Cab Signals?

peter

We rarely ever see SDs over the series 60 here in Seattle, but I believe the rebuilt Geeps assigned to yard work here have something that looks similar on the inside.

If I recall correctly, it greatly streamlines yard switching for the engineers by showing the status of the next 3 or 4 switches. I don't know if it gives partial control to the engineer or conductor, but it saves time and effort for both the dispatcher and crew.

I might be thinking of a different thing, though.

Wouldn't it be neat if every locomotive had a forward facing camera, and you could go to some website and click on a represented locomotive on a railroad map and, POOF you'd be seeing what the locomotive sees down the track? You could just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Just a crazy thought from a crazy old man. Heck, I'd even pay good money to be able to gat that service!

Wouldn't it be neat if every locomotive had a forward facing camera, and you could go to some website and click on a represented locomotive on a railroad map and, POOF you'd be seeing what the locomotive sees down the track? You could just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Just a crazy thought from a crazy old man. Heck, I'd even pay good money to be able to gat that service!

All it would take is an internet connection & a webserver... The internet connection would be the difficult part.

There was a Swiss locomotive that had a dash-cam web-cam online for a while; but I think it's offline now.

peter

Here's another view of an ACe cab, device is still there, but you can see it isn't the biggest thing blocking the engineer's view.
NS1002km9.jpg

I wonder if it isn't something to do with the Cab Signals?

peter

What's the point of a giant Lavazza espresso coffee machine in the cab?:D

I thought I was joking, until I saw the two cup holders just in front of the driver's seat!:eek:

What's the point of a giant Lavazza espresso coffee machine in the cab?:D

I thought I was joking, until I saw the two cup holders just in front of the driver's seat!:eek:

That's Starbucks new plan. Put a Starbucks on every corner and then make mobile ones.

.. or keep him asleep - why else would there be a hammer on the shelf in front of the driver?:hehe:

Back