What is a 12-1 or 6-6-4 or 4-4-2 Sleeper Car?

fuzzybear63

I have started pulling some passenger cars from the DLS, and have seen many different kinds of sleeping cars. What is meant by the different numbers used to describe them, such as:

18 Roomette Sleeper
6-6-4 Sleeper
4-4-2 Sleeper
12-1 Sleeper

Anybody have a clue on this one? I sure don't.

well i would think it was the wheel configuration but no i guess not.
maybe its the number of bunks i dont know!

Can't remember what the letters stand for ....a 4-4-2 would be 4 Comp, 4 DBR and 2 DR...6-6-2 would be 6 Comp, 6 DBR and 2 DR....I just remember this from my model railroading....:cool:

4-4-2 Sleeper = 4 compartments, 4 deluxe compartments, 2 drawing rooms
18 Roomette Sleeper = 18 rooms (Duh)
6-6-4 Sleeper = 6 rooms, 6 deluxe rooms, 4 drawing rooms (long car!)
12-1 Sleeper = 12 rooms or deluxe rooms (depends on model) , one drawing room

US Sleeping cars were described based upon their layout. A 12-1 sleeper was 12 "sections" and 1 Drawing Room. A "section" was part of the old pullman layout of an upper and lower berth, partitioned off from the aisle with curtains. Such a car would have 6 sections on each side, and then the aisle would zig-zag around the drawing room, which would be on one side of the car, with a corridor on the other side of it.

A 6-6-4 sleeper had 6 "compartments" (larger than a bedroom), 6 roomettes (small rooms on each side of a center aisle) and 4 double-bedrooms.

A 4-4-2 sleeper had 4 double-bedrooms, 4 compartments, and 2 drawing rooms.

A 10-6 sleeper had 6 bedrooms and 10 roomettes.

A 12-4 sleeper had 4 double-bedrooms and 12 duplexes (duplexes were tiny bedrooms stacked top and bottom, but offset to save space. Funky looking, but cheap, as you could get a lot of people in a little space. Forerunner of the "slumbercoach")

18 and 21 roomettes were also popular, as well as 13 bedroom cars, and 11 double-bedrooms. Other variations existed (such as 10-5 sleepers, which were the same as a 10-6, but with only 5 bedrooms), a 12-5, and a 214, which had 2 drawing rooms and 14 roomettes.

Then, of course, there were other cars which combined both sleeping compartments with lounges or observation sections.

now they have names at least

US Sleeping cars were described based upon their layout. Of course, there were other cars which combined sleeping compartments with lounge or observation sections.

Magicland,
Thanks for the great answers, that was exactly the data I was hunting for. Now, if only I could figure out the "ranking" of luxury of the differing options presented. I am pretty sure that sections are the least desireable, then duplexes, then roomettes, but beyond that I have no idea... except that I think drawing rooms must be the best of the options, since there are far fewer of them on the various cars than any other option. Do you have any idea where the rankings should go? These are just my (lame) guesses.

#1 Best: Drawing Rooms
#2 ? Double Bedrooms
#3 ? Bedrooms
#4 ? Compartments
#5 ? Roomettes
#6 ? Duplexes
#7 Worst: Sections

Have a great Trainz day.
Michael

Back