Wedge in terrain after merging routes!

PhilChorusch01

I just tried merging PGibbons Tumut Branch routes all 3 and noticed there's a huge wedge in the terrain inbetween where the routes needed to be merged. I have noticed this issue in some other routes too, but I forgot to mention anything about it!

Any way of fixing it? I am using TRS22 PE, build 123799 on Steam. Non-Trainz Plus user.
Edit: I wouldn't know how to upload a screenshot here and I don't have any photo/image hosting site anymore.

This is an ancient problem that's been elusive since the earliest days. The voids to the bottom of the earth form at the edge of the routes most of the time, although I have found them in other places as well. They look awful but they're easy to repair.

Place road splines in strips over the great void as if you are stitching the ground together.
Set the height on the individual splines using the adjust-height tool in the advanced pull-out (Classic Surveyor).
Once the height has been set, smooth the terrain underneath. This will bring up the earth from the depths and fill in the gap.
After terrain has been filled back in, use the plateau tool in the topology tools to smooth out any odd bumps you may have left where the splines brought the ground up higher than it should be such as on slopes or the sides of hills.

To bring in images, use the Trainz Gallery. Go to My Trainz and then Click on Trainz Gallery located in the very top right near the Welcome screen.
Login to the Trainz Gallery and upload your image(s). You will need to wait for a few minutes, I'd give it at least 10 or 15 minutes to process the images.
Search for your username and your images will appear.
Once the images are uploaded, right-click on each one individually and choose copy image link.
Click on the insert image icon located on the top of the reply bar.
Paste in the URL you copied into the space provided and your image will appear in the forums.

This is an ancient problem that's been elusive since the earliest days. The voids to the bottom of the earth form at the edge of the routes most of the time, although I have found them in other places as well. They look awful but they're easy to repair.

Place road splines in strips over the great void as if you are stitching the ground together.
Set the height on the individual splines using the adjust-height tool in the advanced pull-out (Classic Surveyor).
Once the height has been set, smooth the terrain underneath. This will bring up the earth from the depths and fill in the gap.
After terrain has been filled back in, use the plateau tool in the topology tools to smooth out any odd bumps you may have left where the splines brought the ground up higher than it should be such as on slopes or the sides of hills.

To bring in images, use the Trainz Gallery. Go to My Trainz and then Click on Trainz Gallery located in the very top right near the Welcome screen.
Login to the Trainz Gallery and upload your image(s). You will need to wait for a few minutes, I'd give it at least 10 or 15 minutes to process the images.
Search for your username and your images will appear.
Once the images are uploaded, right-click on each one individually and choose copy image link.
Click on the insert image icon located on the top of the reply bar.
Paste in the URL you copied into the space provided and your image will appear in the forums.
Good news about the images, i used to send some photos for the competition in the past, i lost access to hosting sites also. By the way can you refresh my memory on how to hide the hud information (miles per hour, driver icon , etc) so to have a clear image for photo?

Thanks for the replies :)

I knew it was an old issue as I remember seeing it way back in TRS2006! Back then, I probably should had gotten more involved with Trainz 😟
I did lay a few track pieces to raise the terrain in another route but can't remember which one. I think it was between Moss Vale and Goulburn! Everywhere else merged really good.

I am thinking that it could be because... Maybe! That the tiles in some routes are 10 meter and others are 5 meter, I will just convert the Tumut Brach routes '1, 2 and 3' from whatever tile size it is to 5 meter. Hopefully, that could solve it! I will come back :)

I am thinking that it could be because... Maybe! That the tiles in some routes are 10 meter and others are 5 meter, I will just convert the Tumut Brach routes '1, 2 and 3' from whatever tile size it is to 5 meter. Hopefully, that could solve it! I will come back :)
Only changes the wedge gap! Which is useful.

Hmm! I merged the routes in TRS19 and there's absolutely no wedge in the terrain. Seems like I've got a bug with merging routes in TRS22.

Good news about the images, i used to send some photos for the competition in the past, i lost access to hosting sites also. By the way can you refresh my memory on how to hide the hud information (miles per hour, driver icon , etc) so to have a clear image for photo?
If I remember correctly, F5 is what you use to hide or unhide.

Press F5 prior to snapping an image.

Hmm! I merged the routes in TRS19 and there's absolutely no wedge in the terrain. Seems like I've got a bug with merging routes in TRS22.
Nope. I saw it in TRS2006, TRS2009, TS2010, TS12 more than I can count, T: ANE, TRS19 a few times, and none so far in TRS22 or Plus. That doesn't mean it won't happen in Plus but it's not a new thing. The problem occurs along the boundaries between baseboards. In the olden days, we'd also get spikes that needed to be smoothed out. I once had some of those appear across a lake and I made a bunch of them into islands.

With all those years of experience, I can stitch up a slope pretty quickly, perhaps only a few minutes to get everything how I like it with most of the time spent choosing the road I want to use for the bandages.

Nope. I saw it in TRS2006, TRS2009, TS2010, TS12 more than I can count, T: ANE, TRS19 a few times, and none so far in TRS22 or Plus. That doesn't mean it won't happen in Plus but it's not a new thing. The problem occurs along the boundaries between baseboards. In the olden days, we'd also get spikes that needed to be smoothed out. I once had some of those appear across a lake and I made a bunch of them into islands.

With all those years of experience, I can stitch up a slope pretty quickly, perhaps only a few minutes to get everything how I like it with most of the time spent choosing the road I want to use for the bandages.
I know it's nothing new ;) As I stated above! I had the same issue back in TRS2006.. I never used to have the issue in TRS22, not sure why some routes do it and others don't. A big puzzle within itself

I know it's nothing new ;) As I stated above! I had the same issue back in TRS2006.. I never used to have the issue in TRS22, not sure why some routes do it and others don't. A big puzzle within itself
I don't know why it's almost a random event either. It's one of those things, probably has to do with memory or a texture used at that location that causes the event to occur. The problem is with things like this, it's nearly impossible to find the exact cause and most likely the reason why it hasn't been fixed. This sure is one of those big puzzles that will never be solved.

The 'wedge' issue was more of a problem with the version if TRAINZ the original route was built in and how the terrain was generated. I think these routes were from TRS2004 (near 20 years ago !!!) and I did the terrain in HOG maybe or freehand. Once merged in current versions you should be able to smooth the wedge. Also need to look for certain baseboard edges with a 'V' at the join and the 'rabbit hole' issue. These bugs were I think due to some issue with the original baseboard 'gnd' files which were corrupted during a merge.
Good to see some of these defunct NSW routes being of interest.
PG

I don't know why it's almost a random event either. It's one of those things, probably has to do with memory or a texture used at that location that causes the event to occur. The problem is with things like this, it's nearly impossible to find the exact cause and most likely the reason why it hasn't been fixed. This sure is one of those big puzzles that will never be solved.
Must be a special event ;) LOL

The 'wedge' issue was more of a problem with the version if TRAINZ the original route was built in and how the terrain was generated. I think these routes were from TRS2004 (near 20 years ago !!!) and I did the terrain in HOG maybe or freehand. Once merged in current versions you should be able to smooth the wedge. Also need to look for certain baseboard edges with a 'V' at the join and the 'rabbit hole' issue. These bugs were I think due to some issue with the original baseboard 'gnd' files which were corrupted during a merge.
Good to see some of these defunct NSW routes being of interest.
PG
Thanks for the heads up! I haven't 'yet' ran into the rabbit hole issue. I'm lucky ;)

Can't ever let down a good Australian route mate. I have them all now, I think! Unless I manage to run into another Australian route or 2 in my browsing adventures on the DLS :D

Back