Water animations acting up

Mordachai

I'm running TRS 2009 and having some troubles with water animation.
The animiations seem to blink and the surface is divided in irregular patterns, some areas go ok animations, other don't.

I think I've had this problem in TRS 2006 as well, but can't remember if or how I solved it.

I've played around with the graphic setting and the only thing that seem to fix it is to change from OPENGL to DirectX, but that's a huge performance hit on everything else.

I'm running a ATI 3870X2 card so it should be able to handle it pretty well...

Cheers

/Fredrik

See it on some video cards that are maxed out. IE full antialising and antosopric filtering (sp) If that applies to just turn it down a notch

I've played around with the graphic setting and the only thing that seem to fix it is to change from OPENGL to DirectX, but that's a huge performance hit on everything else.

First thing to do is to download and install the latest drivers for your card.

settings

See it on some video cards that are maxed out. IE full antialising and antosopric filtering (sp) If that applies to just turn it down a notch

First thing to do is to download and install the latest drivers for your card.

As I said I'be played arround a bit with the settings and detail levels including AA without any improvement. I've also tried decreasing the resolution from 1900x1200 to 1600x1050 without success.

I doubt that it is the drivers since my drivers are fairly up to date. Few months old perhaps. But I'll try upgrading them anyway.

As I said, I remember having the same problem in TRS 2006 and I think that was on my old computer. Might have been that I changed to DirectX and solved it that way back then.

Can it have anything to do with the screen frequency or vertical sync? I experimented with it a bit but didn't seem to make any difference.

/Fredrik

I also wonder if this might have anything to do with the different way that 2009 handles alpha channels (which has caused major problems with trees). If the creator used alpha blending for the water textures this could well cause them to look pretty strange under some builds of '09.

--Lamont

Back