Stumped on camera motion freezing...

ZapperJet

Blender Guru
I haven't started a thread here in a LONG time....

But, as it happens, the highest version I own of Trainz is 12. Unfortunately the following problem pertains to my recent copy of 10 as well.

So Trainz has this limiter now I see for draw distance. It's causing some concern for my old computer. I'll go ahead and post the specs:

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (Clocked to 3.2GHz)
4GB RAM
M2N32-SLI Mobo
nVidia 8800 GTS 640mb
Windows XP Pro SP3
A single 1TB drive, 10k RPM, etc.

Hard disks are fully optimized and defragmented.

Anti-virus disabled, background processes killed, and patting my head and rubbing my belly too!

All drivers are up to date. Current nVidia driver is 314.22.

So, my complaint is that in both 10 and 12 I have experienced significant game pauses while zooming the camera in and out, or switching between cab view and any exterior view, et cetera.

Literally, the game will freeze (sound playing) for three or four seconds, or, in extreme cases, freeze indefinitely.

My take on this problem after doing some reading comes to a number of causes:

1) The draw distance limiter's incessant need to redraw the scene for each camera change causes the game to lag considerably as the new objects are redrawn en mass.
If I reduce the draw distance to 1500m I not only can't see very far, but the problem becomes almost non-existent. It sorta makes me think, since this was around the default draw
presented in earlier versions (06, 04), the bonus distance offered now is causing an issue with my hardware capabilities I just cannot handle?

2) TADDaemon, which likes to eat CPU cycles for breakfast sometimes, is trying to make contact with the Trainz 10/12 executable and causing the game to freeze.

3) This graphics driver version might not play nice with Jet any more.

4) Something I can't imaginably predict outside the realm of this outmoded game engine...

Mind you, in Trainz 2010, I get excellent framerates. Avery-Drexel in DirectX I get 50-60 fps even with all those SpeedTreez flopping around.

In Trainz 12, I can get maybe 30 fps on Mojave, and a whopping 16 fps on Appalachian.

In both versions, using OpenGL as the render engine drops my framerates to a mere quarter of the above, however, the major lags seem to disappear.

This makes me think, maybe TADDaemon is innocent (well, ok, not entirely innocent) and it has something to do with the graphics driver or the OpenGL implementation in Trainz.

However, if it's this new limiter device that's put a ball and chain around the draw distance, then perhaps I'm screwed and should just move on.

Any input on this is appreciated. I've been wanting a stutter free Trainz since 04, and it looks like it's gone the opposite direction....

Cheers,
John

Back