Wanted: extreme high-spec laptop for Trainz

Saphira123456

Toxic community hater
Hey computer geeks...

What's the most extreme, highest-end build capable of running TANE?

I'm not only curious, I'm in the market for one.

See, I'm looking to get a laptop (I move around a lot) and I need a tough, rugged, mobile platform to run Trainz on (because I'm a klutz.)

And money's no object.

So what's the best-of-the-best, top-of-the-line, custom Toughbook build you can get these days?

If $$$ is not an object why limit yourself to a laptop? An Alienware Area-51 Desktop can come darn close to $10,000 with all the bells and whistles - probably other brands as well but if you are a dedicated lap-topper Alienware makes some very good ones too (and they ain't cheap either).

Ben

There's also the Alienware-15 and Alienware-17 series laptops. I happen to have the new Alienware-15 and have excellent luck with it. It handles T:ANE admirably and came in at around $2800 base price with my specifications, which include the GTX980 a 512GB SSD and a 1TB Hard drive, 32GB of RAM.

There's always the Asus ROG GX700 if you really want to go nuts. However, I'm sure it won't be long before someone squeezes a GTX1080 inside a 'laptop' chassis.

Dave:

Never heard of them before so I took a peek at the Falcon site. Gadzooks. The top of the line model with all the bells and whistles could easily run $20,000. Who would really need something like that?
22-core processors.
256Gb RAM
$4500 GPU's.
Multi TB SSD's

I'm crazy but not that crazy (ok - if I win the lottery I'll look into one, lol).

Ben

Maybe ... the rich 87 y/o Kentucky farmer, who won the 375 million powerball lottery, all he wanted a new John Deere tractor, and a whirlybird ... he could not fathom that he could move on away from Kentucky, and move to Beverly Hills

Buy a desktop, and put wheels on it

Don't play Trainz on the bus

My laptop is always on the desk ... so it is a desktop laptop

casemod03.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, as to why I'm interested in a laptop, I believe I stated that I move around a lot.

I also want something like a Toughbook, rugged, able to take a few spills and drops and crashes onto the hard, rocky ground, and still be able to churn out thousands of frames per second like nothing ever happened.

That's the core behind why I want a laptop. I work rough, play rough, and live rough, so I need a laptop that's mobile, yet is armor-protected, capable of dishing out results, even if it's practically being shot at.

And as for why I'm using a "battle-laptop" for a game like Trainz?

I'm gonna use it for planning my business---which just so happens to be a live-steam railway, complete with passengers, cargo, and hopefully, even its' own reporting mark.

Back