Virtual connection

Hunter58

Is there a way to connect two pieces of the layout using some kind of virtual connection without any delay. For instance to make a connection from an industry loading facility to the shadow station without creating the actual track or to go from one level to another level without a graded spur.
It is something that EEP and 3d train studio both have implemented and is very useful

Ruud

Hi,

You should be able to use the industry "portal".
You set one up at the end of a length of track, and another where you want the train to come out.

You need to set up the portal details (use the "?" key over the portal) to accept a train and sent it to the other one.

I understand that there are problems with some of the portals provided, but I don't use them myself.

In the older Trainz programs it was possible to send a train from one layout to another across the internet...

Regards,

Colin

iPortals?

iPortals?
Yes, they work and very well.

In summary, using an i-Portal, multiple routes can be strung together as if they are a single route. The consists of one route, filled with commodities, sent to an i-Portal configured to connect to another route. The connected route's i-Portal then either send the consist out of the ready for driver commands to carry on the journey. Multiple trains sent to the same i-Portal stack up and come out in sequence ready for their destination.

I've set up multiple i-Portal connected routes to my own very large route. It's far easier than merging in routes and needing to reconfigure ATLS and TRC crossings, and worst of all the need for multiple 'tween boards to connect routes that are at different heights that are too high or low for an easy transition.

Hi,

You should be able to use the industry "portal".
You set one up at the end of a length of track, and another where you want the train to come out.

You need to set up the portal details (use the "?" key over the portal) to accept a train and sent it to the other one.

I understand that there are problems with some of the portals provided, but I don't use them myself.

In the older Trainz programs it was possible to send a train from one layout to another across the internet...

Regards,

Colin
I don't exactly know what asset you are referring to?! There are some old industry portals on the DLS but those simply have no option to send a train over and won't work in 2022. The regular portals (even the small and basic) can sent a consumed train back to another portal with two major issues: a. The minimum time between consuming and reoccurring is 1 minute, not instantaneously and b. A reoccurring train has lost all driver commands so comes to a stop after it is fully on the layout.

Regards,
Ruud

I don't exactly know what asset you are referring to?! There are some old industry portals on the DLS but those simply have no option to send a train over and won't work in 2022. The regular portals (even the small and basic) can sent a consumed train back to another portal with two major issues: a. The minimum time between consuming and reoccurring is 1 minute, not instantaneously and b. A reoccurring train has lost all driver commands so comes to a stop after it is fully on the layout.

Regards,
Ruud

I think he means this;
<kuid2:30671:23501:1> iPortalBasic

Here are some instructions I saved for setting up iPortals.

HowTo/Configure an iPortal
< HowTo
An iPortal is a scenery object with track and is placed and linked into your Route in the same way an industry is. The two iPortal assets can be easily found in the scenery items list as they both start with “iPortal”. To function in the Driver Session, the iPortal needs to be configured. There are no rules needed, just open the properties window for an iPortal placed on your Route. To get the iPortal working, not only must your TANE installation be configured to work with your Planet Auran account, but the iPortal itself also has several parameters that need setting as well.

iPortal id
Unique ID name that this portal is to be identified by.

Send to user
Name of the remote Trainz user that you wish to exchange train consists with. This setting isn’t needed if you are just transferring trains to other iPortals on your own Route but is needed if sending between different routes.

Destination iPortal id
Unique ID name of the destination iPortal that this iPortal is to exchange trains with. This can either be remotely located on another user’s system or from your own Route.

Send Trains
Specifies whether trains are sent over the internet and exchanged with another user or just transferred locally to another iPortal.

Check for trains
Enable this option if you want the iPortal to wait for trains that another iPortal may send to it.

Driver mode after create
Determines how trains emitted from the iPortal will be controlled on your Route once they have exited the iPortal. Trains transferred through an iPortal will retain their vehicle loads so one potential fun activity is to operate your Route such that it requires an incoming loaded train from someone else through the ==iPortal== Don’t forget to use iTrainz Chat so you can communicate with your friend and arrange iPortal exchanges. iTrainz Chat will also let you know if your friend is online.

UPDATE:

Since TRS19, the configuration of iPortals has to be done in the Session and not the Route. It's recommended to create a base-session and use that to create other sessions from.

Last edited:
I think he means this;
<kuid2:30671:23501:1> iPortalBasic
Hello Christopher and others,

I tried iportalBasic for this but the outcome is almost the same. Minimum time before re spawn is 1 minute and the consist lost all command and is only spawned with a standard drive command. It can't be that hard to create a real virtual connection but unfortunately I lack the knowledge to do so :confused:

Ruud

I use <kuid:99999:80009> InstantMoveTrain2 from one track mark to another. It is used as a driver command. Instant Move a train to a selectable trackmark, Trackmarks must be named MOVETRAIN_0 till MOVETRAIN_19, Make sure the track is long enough, Add the command in Edit Session to the list of Driver commands, it can be used as a portal replacement. Mad by G.M. It works great.

@Lewiscc65
I couldn't wait to try that. Never heard of that rule. I got it from the DLS and made a simple test track. You are absolutely right it works fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for. You saved me a lot of work in planning and tracklaying. Thank you so much and a big thanks to G.M. whoever that may be, for this little gem

regards,
Ruud

I use <kuid:99999:80009> InstantMoveTrain2 from one track mark to another. It is used as a driver command. Instant Move a train to a selectable trackmark, Trackmarks must be named MOVETRAIN_0 till MOVETRAIN_19, Make sure the track is long enough, Add the command in Edit Session to the list of Driver commands, it can be used as a portal replacement. Mad by G.M. It works great.

<kuid:99999:80009> InstantMoveTrain2 - Does not move a train to another route, but it does work great within one route. I joined New iPortals? channel on Discord and we are actively working on an updated version called iPortal New. The original code was made by LLJ or Lars and the code was encrypted, and the originals are lost as far as we know. The originals are build 2.4 and library is 2.8.

I talked with G.M. and I'm going to try to add the move to route option to his InstantMoveTrain2 asset.

hello folks I'm still a newb but am learning Trainz. please explain. "Not only must your TANE installation be configured to work with your Planet Auran account,"
i have tried on trs19 as well as Tane. can't get them to work. Followed instructions in this thread but to no avail. an explanation would be of great help.
regards John B.

hello folks I'm still a newb but am learning Trainz. please explain. "Not only must your TANE installation be configured to work with your Planet Auran account,"
i have tried on trs19 as well as Tane. can't get them to work. Followed instructions in this thread but to no avail. an explanation would be of great help.
regards John B.
They work just the same in TRS19 and up.

You need to configure the settings in a session and not on the route. The instructions need to be updated to reflect that.

For permanent settings in a Session, create a separate session and do not use the Unified Driver Surveyor option found in Surveyor or Driver. That is good for a quick drive or testing and not for doing what you want to do.

At the main menu where you select your route, click on the route and click on View sessions.
If you already have a default session, click on that and set up your iPortals and any other objects that require configuration in the session such as industries.

Important:

Save the session with another name such as Base-session and do not delete this one.

If you want to create other sessions, open this Base-session for editing and then save a new version with a new name.

Back