Use of "Invisible" KUIDs - a bit confused

rmp090946

I've been learning as I go, many helpful sources on the forum and tutorials. But, I'm have some difficulty grasping the concept and use of/for "invisible track, roads, etc." as it is used (in nearly all the routes I've explored). I'd appreciate it if someone could direct me to a source that explains the reason for using "invisible" Kuids within a particular route's circumstance and what they should accomplish. Thanks very much for any help, Bob.

If you mean to ask, what are invisible tracks or roads used for, there are a few answer's.

Invisible track for example, can be placed so a drivable car can be driven down a road, or a plane can fly. Remember, all drivable assets must be treated as a train car.

An invisible road can be used to spawn in road traffic someplace where there is no road. Maybe you want cars to drive along a dirt road, but just want to use a dirt texture for a road. An invisible road can be used in that case.

Usually an invisible assets config file has the line: -surveyor only, and that makes the asset, which is visible in surveyor mode, now invisible in driver mode. Hence an invisble track, speedboard, signal, etc ... etc ... which can not be seen when driving, although it is still there, and is functional, but is just unseen.

Last edited:
Invisible track can be used as a spur off the main line to fool the Ai driver, also to place "scrap" assets on so they look the part as you go past.
There is a signal box with interior by samplaire which needs invisible track to sit on.

And that signal box is drivable on invisatrack, so you can view all your trainz from inside a switch tower view with Armstrong levers, layout wide.

Thanks very much to all who have provided input. I now have a better understanding (conceptually anyway) of the purpose(s) of invisible KUIDs. Now, I've just got to improve my Trainz Surveyor experience to identify when there is a practical opportunity for me to apply an "invisible" KUIDs within a route I might be creating. Again, thanks for help. Bob

Possibly the drivable Signal Box I am talking about is by Jetsteamsky, or Alex23.

I think is in actuality a drivable loco, press 1, or 2, or 3, or 4 for various views, also press [ or ].

The line -freeintcam placed in the trainzoptions file will enable roaming in cab view using the KB arrow keys.

You can place a nearby loco, and roam outside of the cab, to get any view you want.

Last edited:
Rather than start a brand new thread on Invisible Assets, I am posting here:

Do you use invisible assets ? Yes

Triggers, Direction Markers, Trackmarker, Speedboards, Bi-Directional Bell and Horn, Signals ... etc ... etc

All these assets have the tag in their config file: -surveyor only 1 , the 1 means YES,which makes them invisible.

By edit in explorer, and changing the 1, to be a 0, which means NO, the invisible asset now becomes visible.

Why on earth would you want to make an invisible asset, visible ?

For trouble shooting your route, and seeing where to move bell, whistle, speedboards and trackmakers... the tag can always be changed back to -surveyor only 1 at a later date.

Just be sure that you only change the numeral, as you may be changing a built in asset that can't be re-downloaded.

If you mess up the config fle, someone could send the original config file "text" to you, should you ruin anything.

Last edited:
Here are a couple more uses for "invisible" assets:

Invisible switch levers (built-in to Trainz) for use on tram/light rail lines, where you don't want to see switch levers embedded in the pavement.

Invisible track for use on top of road splines to allow driveable buses. I recommend cyberstorm's busroute series since they show you when the height compared to the road spline is just right.

Invisible track (any will do) to create ski runs. Thanks again to cyberstorm, I was able to use his Drivable Superadaptor to make a drivable skier and a drivable snowboarder. Again, an invisible switch lever would be appropriate here.

Last edited:
Back