A Couple Of Oddities

sandpaper600

So, I finally got everything updated in the game. I did an EDB rebuild and I have no faulty, missing or faulty dependencies, open for edit, or any other "red" categories. I also have found and updated all the "newer version available" files.

I opened my route and worked on it some, mostly involving invisible roads and tracks. I checked everything out in driver and all seemed fine. I was pleased to see that the road traffic was all touching the ground and all was right with the world.

Today, I'm doing some more work with invisible roads and I notice 2 things:

1) Some of the cars are no longer touching the road. These are all in-game assets. I have not placed any additional road traffic.

2) My invisible roads that I placed today are not generating any traffic in driver. I use 3 or 4 different invisible roads and they are all suffering the same. They work as expected in surveyor, but not one car generates in driver (on these particular roads I did today.)

Other invisible roads I placed previously seem fine. All the invisible track I have used is also working as expected. I laid out strips of around 6 different invisible roads side by side and only 1 of them produced any traffic in driver, however it was visible in driver in the form of a red stripe, (which it isn't supposed to show in driver.)

Doubly perplexing is that I created another route called "test bed", and laid out 2 roads there and used my same invisible road splines and they were fine in driver.

What could possible be the problem?

Mark

Some of the cars not touching?

That would indicate that it's the car assets. I have no issues with that here.

Roads not generating cars is usually a sign of a default region in the route setup. Try editing the route, located under the edit menu (just to the right of the 3-bars, aka the main menu).

It also depends upon which region do use. There are some with no active cars at all. There are also some invisible roads that generate no cars. I recommend trying a piece of regular road and finding out if that generates cars.

I have no issues with traffic. There's not a lot of carz which is fine with me, but there are vehicles.

Regarding crickets. Sometimes people take time to respond to technical posts. It's the nature of an asynchronous environment.

Last edited:
So, I have DLed Carz, but haven't added any in manually. Would they show up on the roads just by me DLing them? Should I delete them to see if that takes care of it?

I'm using SAP Yarnish Asphalt Roads, both with traffic, <kuid:620364:100044>,and without, <kuid:439337:103270>. The traffic variety generates cars just fine (although some cars float.) On the variety without traffic, I have also used JJS Road Stripes, <kuid:46819:37045>, and that also works fine.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how invisible road works. I am using Jons One Way Invisible Road, <kuid2:95230:111759:4>, in a parking lot trying to simulate parking lot traffic. There is no pavement spline, just painted ground texture.

Am I wrong in using it like this?

Is it that invisible road can only be used to connect road splines, for example to make intersections?

Are cars only generated in surveyor as some sort of indicator so you can see how the traffic will do in driver?

Would I/could I use a traffic generator to make this work?

I was only using the "crickets" thing to bump the post. But also, I saw that it had been viewed 47 times without a comment from anyone. I guess it was more out of curosity on their part.
BTW, I did bump up my pagefile to 32GB and you were right, it did help with the performance.:Y::clap:

Thank you.

You're getting into a slightly complicated area. Nothing wrong with invisible road, and not usually used to make intersections, as there are function intersections already available. There are also a ton of different road types, and older (and lower build #) types don't play well. Traffic itself is generated by the region file used by the route, so downloading traffic does nothing until you edit the region file and add them in. It appears there is nothing obviously wrong with what you're doing, so there are two questions. What region file are you using, and is traffic even turned on in the environment settings?

...so there are two questions. What region file are you using, and is traffic even turned on in the environment settings?

By "What region file..." are you asking what region I have the route set to? If so, the that would be United States.

And under edit environment, the location tab, traffic is set to enabled.

I don't have any problem with traffic appearing on 95% of the roads, (other than some of the cars floating.) It's just this one road I made using asphalt ground texture and invisible road that won't generate traffic, and the parking lot with invisible road on ground texture.

I don't like the looks of pre-made roads. If by "functional intersections" you mean as long as you want traffic to turn left, then yes, there are. But I find it's better to lay road splines across each other and direct the traffic to do what I want it to do.

It's not 100%, but it's more random. I can cross 2 road splines and place turnoffs to the right on all four corners and traffic will sometimes go straight, sometimes turn right, or sometimes turn left.

My major problems are the car floating thing and the invisible splines on ground texture not generating traffic in driver. All other roads work fine.

EDIT: I just checked the invisible road asset's config file and it states Trainz build 3.7 and region US;CA.

Thanks for your thoughts.

SP
Mark

Last edited:
Regarding the floating cars problem, here is what I did to fix:

Look closely at various roads, some have thickness, others don't. By using only "thick" roads (YARNISH for example), the problem is solved because the thickness fills in the gap between the bottom of the road and the bottoms of the tires.

Great news on the page file. Yay, at least something is fixed... just kidding!

There's nothing wrong with using invisible roads. This is done all the time. In fact, there's a whole set of road lines that can be placed on asphalt-textured ground.

The carz that are floating, will be those that are included in the region you chose for your route. You assign this when you are setting up a new route and can be changed later if you want. The cars like all Trainz content is pointed to in a giant table within the region asset. The problem is these particular vehicles were created to run on thicker roads and not just on the ground. How can you tell who is going to work where? I don't think you can unless there's an offset value from the ground somewhere in the config.txt files. We would need the actual KUID number and the name to research the asset. I'll explain this system in another post. Remind me.

Regarding the zero cars on the invisible roads. Try attaching a regular piece of road at the beginning somewhere. It maybe that these roads don't have any traffic associated with them, or perhaps the roads have a very, very low carrate tag. You can actually create no-traffic roads and I made a bunch of various styles for various purposes ranging from backstreets where I don't want traffic to 4-lane roads I use with another texture, such as concrete, for mill yards and docks. In particular I used the thick YARN roads, disabled the traffic, and they work perfect for this because they are thick enough so the tracks only poke through instead of sitting on top of the roads.

@schweitzerdude - Yeah, but It only happens to some of the cars. Most of them are on the ground properly.

I'm using a Yarnish road made by msgsapper. It's thick. Take a look at the pick link in my #2 post in this thread.

Thanks for your input though.

Great news on the page file. Yay, at least something is fixed... just kidding!

Hey, it's a start!

There's nothing wrong with using invisible roads. This is done all the time. In fact, there's a whole set of road lines that can be placed on asphalt-textured ground.

The problem is these particular vehicles were created to run on thicker roads and not just on the ground.

The cars are on thick roads. They're YARNISH Roads by msgsapper. Check out the pic link in my #2 post in this thread. The no traffic thing is the problem on the ground texture. And it's only when using Jons One Way Invisible spline. JJS Road Stripes works fine on ground texture. (See my #4 post in this thread for kuid's.)

How can you tell who is going to work where? I don't think you can unless there's an offset value from the ground somewhere in the config.txt files.

I am posting the config file from the invisible asset I am using that fails.

Regarding the zero cars on the invisible roads. Try attaching a regular piece of road at the beginning somewhere. It maybe that these roads don't have any traffic associated with them, or perhaps the roads have a very, very low carrate tag.

I'll try attaching a piece of road spline, but according to the config file, it should generate traffic on its own.

username "Jons Oneway V4 Invisible 1L np Road,15mph"
kind "track"
trainz-build 3.7
carrate 1
traffic-speed 6.7
istrack 0
isfreeway 1
isroad 1
numlanes 1
visible-on-minimap 0
surveyor-only 1
category-class "SR"
category-region "US;CA"
category-era "1950s;1960s;1970s;1980s;1990s;2000s;2010s"
description "This invisible road is used by many of the YARN models. It generates Traffic on its own. In Surveyor, a somewhat transparent purple line is visible along the the road; this is not visible in Driver.

Draw out your Invisible Line in the opposite of the Traffic Direction.
Revision History:V4 This is not visible in Driver, With Oneway Traffic 15mph, One Lane, no Passing.

Granted (Approved Permission to use).
Created by Madeline Usher"
license "Enjoy!"
author "Madeline Usher"
contact-email "usher@cs.northwestern.edu"
contact-website "http://www.sentient-potato.org/"
organisation "Sentient Potato"

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "yarn_invis-road.im"
auto-create 1
light 1
}
}

track
{
mesh-length 1

track-lod-tree
{
mesh "default"
}
}

thumbnails
{
{
image "$screenshot_240-180$.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
}
kuid <kuid2:95230:111759:4>

kuid-table
{
}

Thanks for your help John.
I hope this doesn't suck the life outta you...cause it startin' to do me....:)

Mark

Back