Urban railroading at its best. A trip on a Japanese commuter line.

Great find, lovely trip. Really mindblowing if you think about the scale and complexity of the Japanese rail network.

I once heard that the Japanese requires that their trains arrive on time every time. Apparently they are so serious you could face jail time if you cause your train to be late. I also heard that one driver decided to commit suicide by drowning in the ocean instead of going to jail because his train was late. I guess that the Swiss have some competition with being on time, every time.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing John. If you click on the guy's user profile there are a load more, not all have the English descriptive text and there seems to be an option of speeded up or real time versions on some of the routes. A great find.

Thanks for sharing John. If you click on the guy's user profile there are a load more, not all have the English descriptive text and there seems to be an option of speeded up or real time versions on some of the routes. A great find.

You're welcome, Vern. I'll have to check out his other videos.

This is quite an amazing railroad network. I couldn't believe what I was watching. I started this at nearly 11:30 pm and was blurry-eyed as I watched the trip. I didn't want to quit and have to use the watch later to finish. :)

Their signaling system is interesting. It's a combination of the North American NORAC practices and UK signaling at the same time.

John

Japan's passenger rail network is still (at least for the most part) privately owned, correct?

Are they able to make it work due to the extreme population density?

What a lovely ride! And such smooth acceleration. We should get more trains like those here.
After about 30 minutes in, I kept trying to predict which train would pass next.

"Silver-green/orange? Silver-blue/white? White-red? Silver-solid green? Oh! Silver-yellow! That's new." :hehe:

The "white-red" train turned out to be a Narita Express (N'EX). I've developed quite an affection for it.

Back