A track in the woods, an abandoned line.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
Trainz allows us to build long lost mainlines and branch lines which we can bring to life. The question is what about those lines that have outlived their usefulness?

As sad as it maybe, there are some lines that become redundant and closed. In the real world a railroad company will want to ensure its lines make money and will want to remove from service and outright abandon those that are no longer in service because the railroads pay taxes on the assets as well as property taxes on the ROW. The railroad may have once served a factory or steel mill, however, the business have now closed. Rather than pay taxes on the infrastructure, the railroad will remove the tracks and abandon the ROW.

In other cases there may have been a washout on the line which has made repairing a dilapidated old branch line that saw service to a factory one day a month not worth repairing. In many cases, the rail company would put the repair cost back on the business and this usually means the service will end because that business does not want to pay the maintenance or rebuilding costs. The other reason maybe tat there is a secondary line which serves the same area so why restore this line that has been washed out.

Another situation maybe a highway cutting through an area, and the road company did not want to pay the premium for a road bridge over the railroad, especially if the line is hardly used to begin with. We see lots of these today. What was once a branch line or even a mainline, is now only a string of power lines owned by the local power company. We can tell this power company path was once a ROW because of the raised grade that the wires follow. The line that runs from Bradford, MA to Newburyport via Georgetown, and from Georgetown to Peabody, through Topsfield and Danvers is such a line. This ROW was abandoned in the 1940s after a washout took out a major bridge. Since these lines served a very rural area, at the time, the railroad opted to remove the tracks. Service, however, remained on the ends up until the 1980s.

Then there are those mainlines that are foolishly closed due to political or bad management decisions. The Maine Central Mountain Division, which did well under the Main Central, was closed by Guilford because they did not want traffic from that region. Instead of handing the line off to a regional, they ripped up the track on either end to prevent anyone from operating it. Since then the states in the area have been rebuilding portions of the line, which will hopefully come back into service.

We also have abandonments due to mergers. A competing line that has been merged into a larger company usually ends up on the short end of the stick. In New England the Eastern Railroad and the Worcester Nashua, Rochester and Portland both met a similar fate. The Eastern Railroad which once ran from Boston to Portland via Portsmouth was purchased, after a long lease, by the Boston and Maine. Even though the Eastern Railroad was faster and had fewer grades, the B&M abandoned a good portion of it in favor of its own mainline farther inland. The Eastern remained active as a secondary line up into the late 1950s and portions are still operated by the MBTA in the southern end for commuter rail. Great Portsmouth sees some freight, though not much because Pan Am discouraged online freight customers, and the same for the greater Portland Maine area.

The WNR&P was an earlier victim of the B&Ms hunt for control over the region. The portion between Worcester and Ayer Mass is still active, as well as, a portion near Portland Maine. The middle came up in the early 1920s once the leased line was merged in. This line was quite popular with the New York to Maine vacation trains with it's Worcester connection. People would come up the New Haven (Providence and Worcester) and head north to their summer cottages in New Hampshire and Maine. The great parades of passenger extras must of been quite the site. The Worcester to Ayer remains as the B&M's Worcester Mainline, and after the route abandonment, the passengers were transferred to the B&M at Ayer where they continued their journey north until that passenger service ended in the 1930s.

Another important mainline which saw a similar fate during the 1970s was the famous Cheshire Branch, which is sadly all gone today. This line ran from Ashburnham and Gardner Mass up to Bellows Fall, Vermont. During the 1980s, the B&M and Central Vermont combined services to save on costs. The B&M abandoned the Cheshire in favor of the Central Vermont's mainline. The southern portion exists only as a short branch up to Wichendon, MA. The Ashburnham portion has been totally wiped out and there is barely a trace today in South Ashburnham. The portions around Bellows Falls exists as the yard used by the Green Mountain Railroad. It's too bad the line which once served Keene, NH, Ashuelot, Fitzwilliam, and other towns was not kept.

My own Enfield route features such abandoned lines. To model these I've placed track in and used invisible track to hold bridge abutments in place. In other places, I have left the crossings in place with no track on either side, or sometimes there will be track, but it will be rusty.

There are cases on my route where an abandoned route has been returned to service, as this might happen in real life. ;) Whenever I have removed track from an area, I don't remove the grades. I will put in a cinder ballast and cover the area with trees. If you look at my maps, there will be dark stripes where lines once ran. In some of these locations, when I have expanded the route, I will return some of these lines back to active lines. This means cleaning up the route by removing the trees and then placing the infrastructure back in. The track laying is pretty easy at this point since there is no need to grade.

What's interesting about restoring a line back to use is the overall scenery looks better with the track going in after adding in trees and other details. The ballast texture blends in better and the tracks seem to fit better.

Here are some pics of some of my abandoned lines. This is a truly redundant line which was closed once the Westville branch was opened. Today there is still a bridge across the Little River and some stubs on either end. Sadly there is no hope for this line to be restored at anytime soon.

One of the quirks of Trainz and probably other sims is that it is easier to build new things than old stuff. Most new items have straight edges, clean textures and well defined edges. Old, broken and abused things are just the opposite: discontinuous parts, random textures and fuzzy edges, all of which require many extra polys . And even then, making them look right is a challenge. Most will have to be one-of-a-kind objects since few if any objects would deteriorate in exactly the same way.

It would be an interesting project to show one of those old lines but what a challenge.

One of the quirks of Trainz and probably other sims is that it is easier to build new things than old stuff. Most new items have straight edges, clean textures and well defined edges. Old, broken and abused things are just the opposite: discontinuous parts, random textures and fuzzy edges, all of which require many extra polys . And even then, making them look right is a challenge. Most will have to be one-of-a-kind objects since few if any objects would deteriorate in exactly the same way.

It would be an interesting project to show one of those old lines but what a challenge.

This is definitely one of the issue I've run into in general. Everything is truly too clean and neat even for everyday newer infrastructure. No matter how much dirt and clutter we add, we can never get that really dirty and cluttered look, and then we add just that little bit more to dirty things up and we see a slideshow.

I agree that would be interesting to do. The lines I mentioned are long gone now, mostly paths in the woods today.

I forgot another big important line - the Central Mass. This line has been partly rail banked, or it was awhile ago so hopefully it might be brought to life.

Hmm... another idea... Rail banked routes which are intact but rusty. Again there's that too clean thing to contend with.

John

One trick that seems to work with abandoned sidings next to a running line is to give it a missing rail or two.

In the screenie above, I have used rusted rail only (no ballast or sleepers/ties) to give the siding track the look of being partly buried by dirt. In one segment I have replaced the normal double rail with a rusted single rail (<kuid:61119:38801> Rusty 1 Track).

Grass has been added to give it a more "overgrown" look. At the end of the siding, just past the closest telegraph pole, I have used a section track bed without rails (<kuid2:124017:25000:1> Overgrown Track Bed for Industrial Area) where the original siding would have joined onto the running line. I sometimes add a small ballast pile on the abandoned siding track.

Interesting to read about the different practices in different places. Here, in the state of NSW, most (virtually) all of the rail infrastructure was historically built and paid for by the state government. A new rail line could only be built by an act of parliament (this was to stop lines being built by private operators who would then go bankrupt leaving the taxpayer to pick up the pieces - that was how the state government was forced into the business of running railways in the first place).

Consequently, lines could only be removed by another act of parliament - not an easy process. Lines could be closed but the tracks could not be removed or the ROW sold off. This has left many abandoned lines, particularly in regional and rural areas, with the track still in place. In many cases this has proven to be a great advantage when economic conditions have changed and there was a demand for the line to be reopened. In other cases the preservation has allowed the creation of "rail trails", walking and cycling paths, along the old railway. Some train preservation groups have also benefited by being able to take over and run tourist and historical railways on the original working lines.

A good post John with interesting pictures. A lot of the old lines in Britain have been turned over to pedestrians. As they are relatively level then they are cycle ways and good for people to walk with prams and wheelchairs. A good Sunday walk and a chance to get back to nature. Some effort has been made to turn them into nature walks and a lot of the original wild flowers still thrive. There was a documentary a few years ago that looked at the flora and wildlife alongside railways and motorways where people cannot interfere.

Totally agree with you that putting the track back again and a bit of a tidy up certainly makes everything blend better and looks more aged and normal. maybe we have honed the skills a bit from when the track was first laid. Don't know.

Doug

I like the idea of a single rusty rail. I have that asset in my collection as I have seen it and must use it. :)

The US has finally caught on somewhat to rail banking where the government, in our case our state governments, will take ownership of closed rail lines and ROWs and keep them for future use. Recently in my area, within the past 15 years, a few lines have been restored back for commuter use, or are currently under study for restoring them to active lines. Located mostly on the South Shore near Cape Cod, the line to Plymouth, Scituate, and from Braintree to Middleboro have been restored. There was much fanfare as well as NIMBY fighting when the Greenbush line was restored. The NIMBYs fought tooth and nail against service through Hingham was restored, which resulted in the tracks being forced into a tunnel instead of stopping at the old in-town station. There are other lines currently in the restoration process to New Bedford via Stoughton and Easton, as well as Fall River via the same line/

The Rail-to-Trail activity is busy here as well. There have been a number of lines which were sadly sold off that should have been restored, however, the rail trail preserves the ROW for future use. Though not included in my pictures, I have such a trail in place on my route. This is shown as a short branch that comes up from the right side near the wye, which can be seen via the overhead view. The Stratham branch is now a trail with a stuffed steam locomotive and some freight cars with a caboose sitting on a short track stub.

This route right now is in the midst of a restoration project so the tree cover and texturing is odd. I imported this particular portion from TS12 long after I uninstalled TS12 so I never updated the trees. The result is lots of bare ground and other things which need fixing, and because this area wasn't restored I never included a pic of the rail trail. The textures have some kind of corruption for some reason and ended up as blocks or missing in some locations. This may not be related to the import as my system did have some issues when I worked on this section previously.

I will say, Doug you are spot on regarding the wildlife. I've walked one of the shorter trails in Central Massachusetts near Princeton. This short trail is surrounded by wetlands and forests and during the walk we saw turtles, frogs, ducks, and lots of other birds.
There were a lot of mosquitos too, which had us walking more than enjoying the outdoors. And I think you're spot on about that regarding the better texturing. :) Things seem to get better the second time around, or they should be anyway.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

John

Great Pics and Story, I'll write more in this MSG. spot ASAP, when I get a chance, got a Church Party today so have to get dressed up for Black Tie event.

The Mr's Bleu is all excited........

Thanks for sharing a wonderful idea with us.

Update, Had a grand time at the Party, so now to the Rail Conservation, It's about time someone gets some smarts on how to manage our Fallen Rails, I have seen a lot of Rails torn up in California, I have also seen the huge cost of bringing back new Rail Lines, the Nimby's and the Millions, or Billions in Cost for reinventing the wheel out here, when we had a perfectly good system to start with before I was born!

And as everyone probably knows, once you rip out the Rails, it's like playing with Fire to ever get them back in. We simply don't have the Money, take for example the California High Speed Rail, we have 3 Large Cities out here, San Francisco, San Diego and oh yes Los Angeles, now check and see where this High speed Rail is going too? You'll be shocked.

And they don't have enough money for it either, hell of a Boondoggle in the making.

I for one love the Railroads, I also believe they are great way to move public transit when the Politicians get it right!

Just ask the folks across the Pond, in England and Ireland how they feel about their Mgt of Train Building and Service?

I'm glad to see the Rails for Trails and Government keeping the old Tracks and Right away violable for Rehab in the future, because if you look at our clogged highways in the Nation, we are going to need several types of Transit to move our People around.

Good night all.

Last edited:
When I was in Scranton, PA, just on 5 years ago, there was talk of restoring the original line from New York to Scranton via the Lackawanna Cutoff. The first phase of the project was to be built to Andover. It seems that little,if any progress, has occurred since.

It seemed very ironic to me that Scranton was the location of the US National Railways Museum (and a very good one it is) but the one mode of transport you could not use to reach it was rail.

When I was in Scranton, PA, just on 5 years ago, there was talk of restoring the original line from New York to Scranton via the Lackawanna Cutoff. The first phase of the project was to be built to Andover. It seems that little,if any progress, has occurred since.

It seemed very ironic to me that Scranton was the location of the US National Railways Museum (and a very good one it is) but the one mode of transport you could not use to reach it was rail.

There has been some work on the restoration, though it's moving pretty slow. There has been some work on the New Jersey side of the line to restore the service to Andover but is put on hold due to environmental issues with work to be completed on that sometime this year with service starting after that.

Here's the Wiki article on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lackawanna_Cut-Off_Restoration_Project

This sadly was one of the victims of stupid cuts by management and now we're paying for the work to be done all over again.

Back