Uploading a route

stouthm

Get over it
If I remember correctly years ago it was suggested that you NOT include rolling stock with the route. Is that true for today? I will be uploading my route, "Port Tillamook RR", from TRS12 to TANE. I've been working on it for awhile now and I'm almost ready. Thanks.

Technically, an uploaded route contains only the terrain and the location and identities (kuids)of all the assets (including track and track objects, scenery, textures, etc) but not those assets themselves. This also applies to rolling stock if you have included it in the route. I normally put all rolling stock in sessions.

When a user downloads the route their CM will then search for and download from the DLS all the assets (including rolling stock) that have identified as being part of the route that they do not already have installed in their local Trainz/TANE folder.

If I remember correctly years ago it was suggested that you NOT include rolling stock with the route. Is that true for today? I will be uploading my route, "Port Tillamook RR", from TRS12 to TANE. I've been working on it for awhile now and I'm almost ready. Thanks.

It has been recommended in the past that rolling stock should be in a session, not in the route, but I don't think that advice is still current. Usually, rolling stock is only there for some functional reason, so a session makes sense. But if you feel it is particularly appropriate that the rolling stock should be part of the route, I think it is OK to include it.

But note that including the rolling stock in the route means that CM will download it as a dependency if the user doesn't already have it installed. That makes the download for your route larger, and may discourage people from trying it out. And, of course, if the user can't get that item of rolling stock for some reason, your route will have missing dependencies. A better idea is probably to refer to the recommended rolling stock in the route description. Or, create some sessions.

Back