Updating the Trainz Asset Database

Snec

Every time I download something everything seems to be OK until I get the message: Updating the Trainz Asset Database. Please wait...

The thing is, no matter how long I wait message does not go away and the next time I open up the program I may get the message again. Sometimes though the item I've downloaded works anyway.

Opening CMP can produce the same message.
There must be something I am doing wrong.

I am using TRS2006

Auto commit seems a tad flaky too since as soon as I press the button it justs goes away without telling me it has commited, or not. Is this usual?

All help appreciated, thanks

Update

You will get the updating asset database message frequently. If you do not want the update at that time just hit your escape key. As for the auto commit you have two choices. Hit ctrl + M or hit the trs icon on the top of the CMP. You will get a small window with "commiting changes" in it. You will know that whatever you downloaded via the FTP is commited. If you download with just the Download command on the DLS the CMP automatically installs the file when it is loading via the asset window.

Hope this helps..

Thanks mkerd261 but I'm having the same problem as cascaderailrod. Is it updating or is it frozen? I have left it updating (?) for two hours but I think it is frozen really. The only way to stop it is via Task Manager. I won't bore anyone with the details but my machine should be well up to it being a fast dual core jobby.

How long should it take to update, say a rail pack for instance? How long for a route? If it is normal to take hours then maybe I'm just being impatient.

Obviously I'm fairly new to all this........ hey, but I'm loving it, except for the content control aspect, which I don't think works properly, for me anyway.

if you close cmp and then open it again, it will only stay for a little bit

it's a bug

edit: seems me and snec posted at the same time. my post was meant for cascaderail

from what i remember from other threads on this subject, cmp's updating really does take forever and a day, and will/does act like its locked up.

personally i have no use for this as i have one computer and one phone line, dial up only and not broadband, and i'm not the only one in the house that needs at times to use the phone.

i simply don't let cmp autoupdate at all. i do this by having a situation on my computer where NOTHING can dail out without my telling it to, and just absolutely never use/invoke download helper at all.

and even then, it STILL tries to, until i reboot, as i do after every time i get off the net, and now that i have and use trainz, after every time i use cmp as well. (especially after using cmp to install and commit previously ftp downloaded cdp's, or opening anything for edit, or recommitting it after doing so. especially BEFORE trying to RUN trains (surveyor, driver or even railyard) after having done so. otherwise cpu lag tells me cmp is STILL trying to run and robbing cpu cycles. which windows manager doesn't show as a running application, but as a running proccess, in the running proccess tab, even though showing no running application in the applications tab)

i really really wish, there were some way, to tell cmp NOT TO DO THIS AT ALL!

that's my one gripe with trainz, is that i haven't found a way to, other then by rebooting and not launching cmp again until i really need to.

=^^=
.../\...

I thought I'd just tell you that I have discovered that if, after installation, Reopen Assets is UNchecked on the pop-up then commiting become instant. No problems at all now.... from download to using within minutes.

Back