UP purchasing new steam locos

simulatortrain

jointed freaking rails
Omaha, NE-
APRIL 1, 2010

Union Pacific Railroad has announced intentions to purchase up to 50 new steam locomotives. These locomotives are only in the preliminary stages of planning, but at this time a 4-10-4 configuration is planned. The fuel for these locomotives is not yet decided, but the UP is currently looking into clean coal, bio-diesel, or biomass. The date when these locomotives will enter service is unknown, but fall 2016 was given as an estimate. Much new technology needs to be designed or applied as these will be a new design from the ground up. The builder is not yet known, but UP has inquired about several firms, which it declined to name. It is accepting bids for the design and construction of them now.

Last edited:
Is that an April Fools joke? Also, is what you said about moving to MSTS a joke? Because Trainz is actually much more up to date graphics-wise.

Last edited:
Gotta love April 1st! If it was real, more than likely there would be some sort of article on it somewhere. One can certainly dream though...

actually, it could be real. you never know when they will come out with something new. so i hope this is not a april fools joke, as it would be cool

this is fake, as there is nothing on the up website which is found here: http://www.up.com/

Last edited:
It's a shame something like that isn't being pursued seriously, especially with the whole eco-friendly/renewable fuel craze. I mean, why not have some old surviving SP oil burners converted to burn frying grease (a stretch, I know, but still it's a thought...).

A oddly related UP factoid: UP is the only U.S. Class I railroad never to have fully dieselized. No. 844 has been kept on their active loco roster up to this very day. :D

It's a shame something like that isn't being pursued seriously, especially with the whole eco-friendly/renewable fuel craze. I mean, why not have some old surviving SP oil burners converted to burn frying grease (a stretch, I know, but still it's a thought...).

A oddly related UP factoid: UP is the only U.S. Class I railroad never to have fully dieselized. No. 844 has been kept on their active loco roster up to this very day. :D

As a snow melter, no less.

oh really if up was buy more steam locmotives the baldwin locmotive works should reopen to build steam locmotives.

Tip it's april second time to put April Fools in the title and in the original post.

I'm glad I get off the internet April 1st I find it to be the worst day ever. Especially to those who are looking for real news. April Fools day has, while sometimes funny, lost it's touch in the last few years due to jokes going a step too far or a step not far enough. This would of been much better if there had been an actually article.

Back