UK Sugar Factory?

lewisner

Part of the route I"m working on at the moment had Sugar Factories at Bardney and Newark and I"d like to find out (hopefully) a) What wagons would be used to transport Sugarbeets into the factories in the late 60s - 1970s. b) What wagons would be used to take the Sugar out? I have the Pioneer Sugar Hoppers but being American they are hopelessly out of scale for the UK loading gauge..Thanks in advance,,:confused:

AE_1945.jpg

These wooden wagons were used to take the beet into the works, but I haven`t got a pic of the tanks they took the sugar away in.

Part of the route I"m working on at the moment had Sugar Factories at Bardney and Newark and I"d like to find out (hopefully) a) What wagons would be used to transport Sugarbeets into the factories in the late 60s - 1970s. b) What wagons would be used to take the Sugar out? I have the Pioneer Sugar Hoppers but being American they are hopelessly out of scale for the UK loading gauge..Thanks in advance,,:confused:

well not sure about the 2 places you mentioned but at Selby most of it used to come in by road from local farms, any I did see was on open 8plank wagons, with just netting over the top, as for outbound it would depend on the type of output, sack/bags on pallets/bulk, (sacks & bags would be in vans, bulk I dont know , most likly in hoppers like the 20T grain hoppers, there would also be the Molasses in liquid tankers
This was around 64/67 when we used to load out from there in a smal ship for export to the Netherlands
we used to load it in jute sacks, 280 ton at a time, used to come down shoots from a conveyor and the dockes would catch them on the sholder and stow them in the ship bag by bag, ( 3 days work )

Thanks for the info everybody-the consensus seems to be 8 or 12 plankers for the sugarbeets and possibly grain hoppers for the sugar.The ironic thing is that the Bardney branch was only kept open for the sugar factory and although I visited Bardney in 1982 to walk the line down to Tattershall I never took any notice of the factory or any wagons which might have been there.I"ll have a look at whether any TRS 12 plankers can carry beet after I"ve had a pint!:)

Just out of interest, there were a couple of factories at the other side conected prior to the Louth platform. I think there was a spur for these. Any idea what was produced/delivered there?

The other factory in Bardney was on the opposite side of the main road to the BSC plant & the station, it was "MORRELLS"

They used to cook & can vegetables, pet food etc.

I`ve cobbled this together from 2 seperate photo`s, so that those who don`t know Bardney, can see where we are on about. :D

Bard3.jpg

Great stuff.Any idea when that phot was taken?I"ll have to dig out my photo of Bardney station which even in 1982 was festooned in Great Northern Railway cast iron trespass signs..:)..BTW the York BSC factory has closed after 70 years production.Apparently local farmers will simply cease farming sugarbeet rather than take it to Newark,

Last edited:
That is a great photo but either I have got my scales wrong and made a bit of a mess of things or the perspective from above alters things.

I suppose there would be quite a mix of traffic then at Morrels?

I"ve experimented a bit with the wagons I have and found that only the BR MCO and (bizarrely) the Conflat will load Sugarbeets.Only the Conflat and the 12T Fitted Van will take sugar so I"m having to use that.Presumably they would take it in sacks? The only UK Grain Hoppers are not industry enabled.So as ever its a compromise.

I"ve experimented a bit with the wagons I have and found that only the BR MCO and (bizarrely) the Conflat will load Sugarbeets.Only the Conflat and the 12T Fitted Van will take sugar so I"m having to use that.Presumably they would take it in sacks? The only UK Grain Hoppers are not industry enabled.So as ever its a compromise.

The UK LMS Grain wagons can be made active by changing the config file, I have done this on my route, only problem is unless you ask & recive permission for this they can only be for your own use, you coud do the same with the open wagon to load the beet, problem with the open is that the comodity would not look correct, but I think that there is a possibility to hust put a tarp over the wagon when loaded, this way the acual load mesh is not importand, of corse you could make a new load texture and replace this with one in the wagons file ?

That is a great photo but either I have got my scales wrong and made a bit of a mess of things or the perspective from above alters things.

I suppose there would be quite a mix of traffic then at Morrels?

It`s 2 pics cobbled together, if you look at the middle, you can see the mismatch.
I should think your layout is more accurate. :)

"Kelly88" Its interesting to know that you can alter the config of the Grain Hopper to load up but it sounds like it might be Rocket Science to me.I"ll have a look though.One thing I definitely wasn"t going to do was to load Sugar in a Conflat (!) as Lincolnshire has its fair share of rain!..

Strangely enough, we have a wooden bodied sugar-beet wagon down the East Kent Railway at the moment. Might be a good idea to pay a visit before the ruddy thing falls apart on us!

The last time we tried to move it, it gave an ominous groan, hit the first set of points, let out a nasty sounding crack. we gave up trying to move it and put it back exactly where it had come from...

regards

Harry

Not realy complicated
I use these wagons a lot as I tend to run BR Steam 40/70s

I have these supplying the flour mill thats built in with 06
I looked in one of the activated grain wagons to see how it was done and copyed the bit concerning load/unload and comodities,

then cloned the LMS Grain Hopper and pasted the bit I saved in the config file
the wagon will now load or unload as required and the comodity in the industry is decreased or increased accordingly

there is no mesh involved as its a covered closed in wagon and the loading hatches do not open but the you wont see that unless you sit ontop the wagon,

but it goes through the prosess and the sound of grain coming from the shoots is there, , I have even repainted some of these and relettered them some are southern stock and some private stock, but like I said they are for my own use as I never asked permission.

as for the open wagon I have not tried this but there is a wood plank wagon ( clay I think ) that has a cover on in the loaded state and open in the empty state, I am sure the cover is just a mesh comodity so could be used on any open wagon just by playing with the config file,

I am a bit tied up at the moment on another project with some other guys but if I get time I will have a look,

"Kelly88" Its interesting to know that you can alter the config of the Grain Hopper to load up but it sounds like it might be Rocket Science to me.I"ll have a look though.One thing I definitely wasn"t going to do was to load Sugar in a Conflat (!) as Lincolnshire has its fair share of rain!..

Thanks for that - I"ll have a look at it today.I"ve altered the configs of static objects such as Signals so I guess the worst thing that can happen is the wheels fall off."HJP" your wagon sounds like a standard preserved railway jobby.I used to volunteer for Peak Rail and whe any new wreck was delivered the chorus would go up "Get it int" skip!

Heres a shot of two Brushes powering a loaded Sugarbeet train through the centre roads at Lincoln Central.Unfortunately Multiple Industry New won"t unload the MCO wagons at Bardney - I think it doesn"t "recognise" them - but MIN is a fiddly thing and I"ll get it sorted..:cool:
31sAtLincolnCentral.jpg

Lewisner, that footbridge at the western end of the platforms is wrong, have a look at "LBSCR Overbridge" KUID:84609:32175

Strange as it may be, they bear a very near likeness.

(Or did until it was demolished.)

Last edited:
Back