ugly trains

:eek:
WHAT is that?
Looks like a friggin spider nose on it, with all those windows. Geez, couldnt have enough windows could ya.
thats one Messed up RS3...

Okay, I found something that might be described as *unattractive*

It looks sort of like a RDC/Budd car but...more like a pimped out RV on bogies or something. I'm not sure why, but the more I look at it, the more I like it! At least it had been repainted somewhat recently, before the tagger punks got to it.

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Okay, I found something that might be described as *unattractive*

It looks sort of like a RDC/Budd car but...more like a pimped out RV on bogies or something. I'm not sure why, but the more I look at it, the more I like it! At least it had been repainted somewhat recently, before the tagger punks got to it.

Gisa ^^
Hi gisa
That rail detector car made me think of this hideous beast.
pictures_14172_5-7-073.jpg

For being so hideous it sure does generate a lot of cash flow...

For one, it cost $35 million new (IIRC) and the FRA was put on a 6 year wait list for it. Then, they had to ship it from Austria over here.

For another, Not 6 months after delivery, they went and ran it into a hi-rail. That sure must have made whoever is fixing it happy! :p

That is interesting, although it seems like there is a point to the front leaning windows. They both serve a purpose though. :)

Gisa ^^

Hmm i actually like that RS-3, just because of how weathered it looks. Also because, like what was posted before, it looks like a post accident rebuild. Would anyone be willing to make one for Trainz04 or 06?

Came across this oddity the other day on railpictures.net...

Apparently, they use it to test out the catenary. Maybe it wouldn't look so bad if they gave it a fresh coat (in the same scheme of course ;) ).

Gisa ^^

A self propelled caboose! What will they think of next.
I think the RS-3 was rebuilt to give better visibility over the front. They didn't need a steam boiler for train heat, so they lowered the entire section.

:cool: Claude

Last edited:
Came across this oddity the other day on railpictures.net...

Apparently, they use it to test out the catenary. Maybe it wouldn't look so bad if they gave it a fresh coat (in the same scheme of course ;) ).

Gisa ^^

Hehe, I quoted myself. :hehe:

They use it to test the catenary (BC rail has some catenary on their routes). You can also tell by the slanted windows facing the stationary pantograph I guess in theory that it could propel itself...but I'm no electrical expert.

Gisa ^^

for locos, i'd say the dl-109 or something like that, alco offered as a passinger unit before they started making the pa's. also emd's bl-2 unit.

for trains, there was the m-10000, the u.p. had in the early days of diesel passinger service, when most everything else was still steam.

of course a lot of people love all of these, precisely BECAUSE of their odd 'aesthetics'.

i could say the ugliest train was the automobile and the freeways tearing up the countryside so all the lemming can drive their own, but i guess that would be cheating and of course ugly precisely, well partially, because it isn't a train.

the first city busses, the first mass produced ones with the little tiney windows that started replacing the trolleys were pretty ugly too.

the ones BEFORE the flexibles, that those replaced.

i forget what they were called too.

that picture of that caboose with the odd angled cab reminded me of another, the rotary snow plow the u.p. appearantly kitbashed out of an alco pa. not exactly, but looks kind of like that but with the nose chopped off to put the snow blower.

=^^=
.../\...

Last edited:
for locos, i'd say the dl-109 or something like that, alco offered as a passinger unit before they started making the pa's. also emd's bl-2 unit...
=^^=
.../\...
Blasphemy!! The DL-109 is the epitome of Art Deco design!
I'll grant you the BL-2, however, as one of the oddest looking road switchers. And throw in the Green Goat for funny looking yard switchers.

:cool: Claude

Mphm, perhaps, this is the only locomotive that I don´t like from USA. The most ones that I like are the F40PH, the Genesis ones,...

up_eng_37_U50_a.jpg

Regards :wave:

Sorry bout the picture quote but this is from the second page. I actually found two of these on the DLS. And yes they are ugly but i had to have them.

I love the BL2 btw. I actually got to work on one of the 2 remaining working ones this summer. They are beautiful engines. (much better than an F7 or a PA)

Last edited:
Well you cant really see behind you too well, and your going to have problems with your brakeman so... yeah. lol.

For everyone who doesnt know what a BL2 is here is the one that I worked on. Engine 54.
IMG_2205.jpg

Back