ugly trains

This... thing was at the CT Trolley Museum. I have no clue what it is or why it is there, but it runs on rails.
IM000238.jpg

I'll refer to it as "failtram" for now.

This... thing was at the CT Trolley Museum. I have no clue what it is or why it is there, but it runs on rails.
IM000238.jpg

It looks like a Leyland railbus, we have things like this running in Britian today , they call them Pacers & yes they are awful :confused:

While browsing around a database of geared locomotives, I found this:

robb_engineering.jpg

The strangest thing is it's not an inclined locomotive.

Cheerio,
John
So what is it? If it's not built to back up the hill pushing a couple of tourist cars, what possible excuse is there for it to exist?

:cool: Claude

So what is it? If it's not built to back up the hill pushing a couple of tourist cars, what possible excuse is there for it to exist?

:cool: Claude

Apparently the tilted boiler improved the draft from the smokebox. :eek: I guess blowers were too expensive.

Cheerio,
John

The Ol' Leyland Railbus

That was the first Cheat Mtn Salamander for the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley before the more reliable Edwards M-20 replica came along. It was apparently unreliable and plagued by mechanical problems. D&GV traded it for the Moore-Keppel Climax that was at the CT Trolley Museum. I think it was a perfect trade. A former West Virginia logger goes back home and a railbus to a trolley museum.

IM000238.jpg

That is actually LEV2, a railbus from the UK. Built on a Leyland National 2 bus, modify to suit a freight chassis and then exported to the USA, where it has resided since.

There was also Lev1 (Based on a Leyland National 1), Lev3, RB002 and RB004. All of which still survive (and yes, I am making one for Trainz).

Lev 2 was built in 1980/1 (I can't remember the exact year), then it was tested on Old Dalby in the UK, sent to the USA on trials and then brought by Amtrak. When Amtrak used it on a shuttle service, they found it was too light for proper operation and was then donated to a preserved railroad. Later, after a failure with the torque converter (automatic gearbox), a "fitter" tried repairing it and got it wrong, to which, it got withdrawn from service and sold to a scrap merchant.
It was then brought by another preserved railroad, who used it up until 2004 when it went to the Connecticut Trolley Museum, where it has resided since.

However, LEV2 does have a sister, LEV3, that is now in ireland, despite operating in the UK.

For info, look here
http://www.nashuacitystation.com/bostonmaine.php?content=railbus
and here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Railbuses

This is the power unit of a Baltimore & Ohio Railroad streamliner. I don't think this is so bad. It resembles a doodlebug (gas-electric.)

boxcabb0.jpg

Thats not ugly, thats functional!

sry bout the image quote. i did it for comparison

OK the pictures that follow are of an unmodified RS3. The loco below seems to have the same lowered hood as the one above, minus the steps. It has its number boards where the top middle windows are in the one above. It seem that there were some variations on the RS3 body.
19881009_22.jpg

1510822520_18cca937cc.jpg

Edit:the steps are a bit further back in engine 506/1776. (they are the same engine btw. the bottom one is its current home on the Tioga Central RR)

Back