TurfFX deleting itself

kenneth18278

Having a problem with TurfFx and Clutter. My WIP has grown to be quite large. I put TurfFX and Clutter on half of the route, ran it in Driver and all was fine. When I went to complete the other half of the route all appeared well - I got part of the way through the second half of the route, no problem, or so I thought. Then I checked the first half of the route and large areas of the previously installed TurfFX and Clutter had just vanished, approximately the same amount had vanished as I had just painted.

My question is, is there a limit on how much each route will accept?

Shouldn't be, sounds more like a layer issue, check any sessions and see if the missing TurfFx is on a session and not the route?

Is there a limit as to how much can be painted?

I noticed as I was working on my rather large route, it took longer and longer to load up as I added the grass to it, and I did not add grass everywhere and only within a strip along the grass like I had placed grass splines.

I gave up in part due to this and because it was a pain and a daunting task due to the size of the route. I sure hope it isn't a memory issue and the program hit the limits.

@ Malc - no, just checked and it isn't a layer issue. Only what is painted on the route shows in the session.

@ John - I'm with you on this, I'll just give up on it. I'm tempted just to delete those layers and revert to doing without. However, what is there is better than nothing I suppose, so I'll probably just leave it as it is, otherwise all that time and effort has been wasted. I won't be doing any more until I can figure out what is going on.

I'm running a GTX1060 6GB, is it possible that it may be a memory issue. I'm not sure of the overhead on these effects.

Last edited:
You may want to look at the thread on TurfFX Scene Budget that I started last week regarding some questions I had on TurfFX. My assessment at this time is that the programs will not let you exceed the screen budget and it does that by refusing to add additional layers. But once you have the layers there does not seem to be a limit to how much you can paint with each layer. It is also apparently true that the more you paint the longer the program takes to load, but once loaded it does not affect the frame rates very much.

I am testing a new route/session for a friend who has 6 layers in use. There are well over 500 baseboards with a great amount of TurfFX applied. The route/session takes several minutes to load, compared to my average of about 30 seconds, but once loaded I see no frame rate issues with the route. At one point this route builder did experience some layers disappearing but it may be that his scene budget had been exceeded. I have been testing his route and several of my own for a while and have not experience any disappearing turf. I do not use any clutter layers. Your issue might be an interaction between the turf and clutter layers and this mysterious thing called the "scene budget". The scene budget seems to be a limit that is hard wired into the program and is not a function of the computer RAM or the graphics card memory.

I think we need to keep pressing N3V for more transparency and insight into these two new features, because they really do add a whole new dimension to the realism of route building.

I am running the session/routes on two different computers: the laptop is an Alienware and my desktop is a custom made with an nVidia 1080Ti graphics card.

Back