TurFX Issues with build 121380

Paul_Bert

Train Enthusiast
I am experiencing problems with TurfFX in build 121380. This is the problem. I have a route which was converted from the retail build 119450. It runs fine for the most part, complete with all the TurfFX appearing fine. However, if I try to add some more TurfFX to the route\session some of the existing TurfFX disappears for whole sections of the route. If I exit and re-enter the session everything appears fine again. There is something about adding new TurfFX which is interfering with the existing TurfFX.

Also, I notice that on another route with TurfFX when I first open the route in build 121380 it takes a while for the TurfFX to appear across the entire route. Sometimes up to a minute. This occurs in both the surveyor and driver modes.

Upon further investigation this only seems to happen in the HD Terrain converted route, not in the build 121380 before conversion to HD Terrain. None of this happens in build 119450. Another thing that happens is when I add a new TurfFX layer in the HD Terrain version there is a message that reads 'rebuilding route layer data". This appears to disrupt or alter the existing layers.

Anyone else having a similar issue? Any suggestions or thoughts on what is causing this?

Last edited:
Your first point sounds similar to an issue I reported with TRS 2019 in early 2020 (points 2 and 3 below)...

I see no mention of any TurfFX issues. In my experience there are a number...

1. Areas of TurfFX applied (and visible) in Surveyor do not always display in Driver. The areas that have TurfFX displayed in Driver depends on the direction of travel, and the density of application.

2. TurfFX defined after application of the initially defined set of TurfFX can only be applied to 'untreated' based boards. If you try to apply them to areas with existing TurfFX the existing TurfFX in that area are wiped out. I have seen a couple of threads on this one.

3. Possibly an extension of 2. Once a large area of TurfFX has been applied (hundreds of base boards ?), any new definition wipes out existing TurfFX across the entire route in a seemingly random manor. This one I reported to the Helpdesk, and it was acknowledged as a problem.

4. When merging routes only the TurfFX in the base route survive the merge.

I had hoped these issues might have been addressed with SP1, since the TRS2019 pre-release TurfFX hipe was the main reason I upgraded to TRS2019.

To my knowledge it has never been fixed.

New effect layers are not behaving ok in latest beta build.

-In new routes created from scratch, color tint and water will work as expected (tough color tint will not do anything while brushing if you modify the original parameters). As the information is not updated in trainzwiki, it is unclear to me why do you have to set rgb values in the advanced parameters box, when you have an rgb selector in the layer palette.

-In all my routes with turfx and clutter layers already created, adding new layers before upgrading to hd prompts a rebuilding effect layer process before being able to set the parameters. Color tint will not work.
After upgrading, water layer does not work and any modification of parameters leads to a game freeze. Color tint does work, but a change in parameters leads to an effect layer corruption message

-If I try to add new layers after hd conversion, it is even worse, as random stripes of turfx will appear all over the route.

I do hope N3v will fix this before releasing the official hd build

New effect layers are not behaving ok in latest beta build.

-In new routes created from scratch, color tint and water will work as expected (tough color tint will not do anything while brushing if you modify the original parameters). As the information is not updated in trainzwiki, it is unclear to me why do you have to set rgb values in the advanced parameters box, when you have an rgb selector in the layer palette.

The RGB selector is to set a default blanket effect to the whole route. This allows route creators to create a colour tint to the whole route by setting these values. For example a slight red tinge if use a 0.6 Red value, and Green and Blue left at 0.5. It is recommended that a default mid grey be used (as this will not apply any tint to the route) and then use the color picker to paint the changes desired in a controlled fashion.

You can find more information about Color Effect here: https://docs.trainzsimulator.com/docs/color-effect-layer

-In all my routes with turfx and clutter layers already created, adding new layers before upgrading to hd prompts a rebuilding effect layer process before being able to set the parameters. Color tint will not work.
After upgrading, water layer does not work and any modification of parameters leads to a game freeze. Color tint does work, but a change in parameters leads to an effect layer corruption message

-If I try to add new layers after hd conversion, it is even worse, as random stripes of turfx will appear all over the route.

I do hope N3v will fix this before releasing the official hd build

We are currently investigating TurfFX. We are aware of the rebuilding layer effects layer process during the creation of new Effects Layers.

Color Effect Layer will only work with HD Routes. You are able to create the effect layer in 5M/10M grid, but visually, it will not do anything until the route has been upgraded to HD.

Several Water Effect layer issues have been recently been fixed, if it still freezes in the next update, please submit a bug report so we can investigate further.

Back