TS2010 Thoughts So Far

Thinking it over some more, even a single version with all built-in content will not solve missing dependencies if creators use objects from sources other than the DLS like third party sites. I know of several creators who want more "control" over their objects and don't upload to the DLS on principal.

So Auran needs to have a single version with everything in it and every creator releasing a route publicly must only use built-in and or DLS objects. :eek:

Hav'nt we been over all of your points before ??

Better solution is NO backwards compatibilty and ditch the #$% the DLS ..

I have no problems buying another trainz program. I just want to make sure I can load my 2006 route into it. I spent many hours building my route and to find out I cannot load it in is hard to grasp. Please include something where I can import my route and update objects that wont transfer well.

Hav'nt we been over all of your points before ??
yes, a very popular topic :hehe:
Better solution is NO backwards compatibilty and ditch the #$% the DLS ..
Two separate subjects really. Compatibility is good as long as it doesn't impact new features in future versions. If it does, warn the user that they use it at their own risk or if you want to be really severe, refuse to load incompatible objects.

But without a DLS, how could any new content be distributed? Third party sites are no solution since how is everyone to know where to find a specific item? How would someone even know there is anything new out there? A central registry (aka a DLS without content, just links) would have to be maintained just to find anything. Doesn't it already have this capability? May as well keep the DLS and improve it.

A side benefit of the DLS system is that you have to be a genuine registered user to access the DLS. Legit third party sites might try to do this too but nothing prevents sloppy or other less scrupulous sites from allowing anyone to download. Hello piracy.

yes, a very popular topic :hehe:

Yep .. every time a new release is rolled out ... Ohhh Noooooss , all my leeched content might not work :D Usually from the same bunch of losers that won't spend a few lousy bucks to support the company that provides the means to satisfy the "collector mentality" in so many. :p

Compatibility is good as long as it doesn't impact new features in future versions. If it does, warn the user that they use it at their own risk or if you want to be really severe, refuse to load incompatible objects.

If you have the source files for your work you already have compatibility , provided that you have the means to export. I favour ruthlessness ... refuse to load or refuse to import ;)

But without a DLS, how could any new content be distributed? Third party sites are no solution since how is everyone to know where to find a specific item? How would someone even know there is anything new out there? A central registry (aka a DLS without content, just links) would have to be maintained just to find anything. Doesn't it already have this capability? May as well keep the DLS and improve it.

Yep .. all been said before :sleep: So my opinion once again >> People are free to do as they please with their work . I won't bother to comment further on this other than to say that the time of the DLS has past .

it already have this capability? May as well keep the DLS and improve it.

A side benefit of the DLS system is that you have to be a genuine registered user to access the DLS. Legit third party sites might try to do this too but nothing prevents sloppy or other less scrupulous sites from allowing anyone to download. Hello piracy.

As has this piece of mis-information ... If you think that the DLS stops the " borrowing " of Aurans IP , you're living in a dream ..no offense intended , so sorry for being blunt :) , try a search for .torrent and see what I mean .

Sci

It's a good thing I don't make the boardroom decisions at Auran ,, isn't it :hehe:

I'm trying to find all the bits for a Rail Simulator route (Isle of Wight network). It's a complete nightmare, not even sure the author knows where they all came from. My vote is to keep the DLS even with all its flaws.

Back