trying to get more fps by free up space on computer

brakemen

hello to all: I know this been asked soo many times but would like to know for myself anyway.

I'm trying to get more fps by freeing up space in my computer. already did a disk defrag, disk clean up. would cleaning out the registry of old files do any good which it has not been done since the I got the computer 2 years ago. and how about trainz assets and trainz cache can that be cleaned out also if so I do not know how because I have not looked in there since I got trs06 and also I would not know which files to cleanup or delete. one more thing how about programs running in the backgound? maybe increasing memory from 3 gigs to 4 gigs might help also. do I have to do anything with bios maybe clean it up also to get rid of old files what not or just leave it alone. whats your idea on this one also.

anything else you can think of let me know

Last edited:
Partitioning a hard drive and putting say 2006 on 1 and 2010 on another may decrease seek time but cant see it improving fps. I think that is mainly down to the CPU, graphics card and to a lessor extent RAM.
Personally I would leave the registry alone, one mistake could be your O/S down the pan.
If you use vista or win 7 64 bit 4 gig+ will speed things up a tad.
Depending on the route, Clovis 2 for one will drag fps down by half of what you can get on a simpler route.

hello to all: I know this been asked soo many times but would like to know for myself anyway.

I'm trying to get more fps by freeing up space in my computer. already did a disk defrag, disk clean up. would cleaning out the registry of old files do any good which it has not been done since the I got the computer 2 years ago. and how about trainz assets and trainz cache can that be cleaned out also if so I do not know how because I have not looked in there since I got trs06 and also I would not know which files to cleanup or delete. one more thing how about programs running in the backgound? maybe increasing memory from 3 gigs to 4 gigs might help also. do I have to do anything with bios maybe clean it up also to get rid of old files what not or just leave it alone. whats your idea on this one also.

anything else you can think of let me know

What's your hardware? If its dual or quad core TS2010 might be a good choice. Memory 2.5 gigs if you have 32 bit operating system such as XP is good enough TRS2006 can only use 2 gigs, with a 64 bit operating system TS2009/10 can use 4 gigs plus a bit for the operating system.

Basically cleaning up the hard drive will not get you higher frames per second.

Cheerio John

Doing a cleanup (as JohnW said) won't improve FPS, but it won't do any harm either....

Try running this:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

It's a Microsoft free tuneup and will get rid of (at least some) stuff that's not needed. It takes a few hours to run depending on how much stuff is on your HDD. Note - there is one version for XP and another for Vista and Windows 7.

To check if programs running in the background are eating up CPU cycles start Windows Task Manager (right click on the taskbar - normally at the bottom of the screen - and select Task Manager) in Task Manager select the "Processes" tab and then click TWICE on the column header "CPU". This will sort the running processes by CPU usage. The "System Idle Process" is how much "Free" CPU time there is and this should be running about 98 to 99 if nothing else is running. If other processes are using CPU cycles all the time then post back here with the "Image Name" and "CPU" figures. - N.B. do all this after the machine has been on for say 5-10 minutes.

reply to itareus, johnwhelan, fran1

hello to all of you:

I was thinking that there might be something out there to check the o/s like system mechanic or something and check out all of my hardware my hard drive, cpu, gpu, memory, see if there are any errors or files I do not use lately. how about graphics drivers would that do that bring the fps down.

as for the programs running in the background I checked on that and there are no programs running in the background and the system idle process is 99.

my hardware is :
graphics gforce nvidia 9800gt; cpu core 2 duo e8500; memory 3 gigs; 1tb hard drive motherboard gigabyte dd2 1333+ p45 chipset

High poly track, large freight yards, grass, trees, buildings, lots of freight cars and high poly locos will often bring things to a slide show, and lock up trainz...requiring shut down

hello to all of you:

I was thinking that there might be something out there to check the o/s like system mechanic or something and check out all of my hardware my hard drive, cpu, gpu, memory, see if there are any errors or files I do not use lately. how about graphics drivers would that do that bring the fps down.

as for the programs running in the background I checked on that and there are no programs running in the background and the system idle process is 99.

my hardware is :
graphics gforce nvidia 9800gt; cpu core 2 duo e8500; memory 3 gigs; 1tb hard drive motherboard gigabyte dd2 1333+ p45 chipset

I'd up the memory to 4/6 gigs www.crucial.com to see if you can do it, drop on Win 7 64 bit, and TS2010 running TS2010 in native mode the default.

TS2010 can identify assets that are frame rate killers and that can help as well.

Cheerio John

reply to cascaderailroad

hello there:

all of my engines comes from world of trainz and rrmods I do not know if they are high poly count or not but I do use them in my layouts. I got all most all rolling stock from makear (kuid 56063) when I said almost I mean about 95% of his trainz cars I have and all in my layouts and my layouts are about 200 base boards big . not too many trees for the size of the layouts, maybe 1 or 2 buildings for every 2 and a base boards. side track I have 6 tracks for each industry. its ok when nothing is on the tracks with the factories with them but when I add trainz cars and engines and test run with them on it my fps decreases . mountains I like to make for my whole layouts I figure nothing can go wrong by makeing moutains in surveor. I'm thinking is cannot slow down the fps fps just made for trainz rolling stock and engines moveing on the track. I guess I have to live with low fps but I can still play the game ok.

I forgot to say I have windows xp but maybe increase to 4 gigs insead of 3 gigs I have now might be a good idea.

Last edited:
hello there:

all of my engines comes from world of trainz and rrmods I do not know if they are high poly count or not but I do use them in my layouts. I got all most all rolling stock from makear (kuid 56063) when I said almost I mean about 95% of his trainz cars I have and all in my layouts and my layouts are about 200 base boards big . not too many trees for the size of the layouts, maybe 1 or 2 buildings for every 2 and a base boards. side track I have 6 tracks for each industry. its ok when nothing is on the tracks with the factories with them but when I add trainz cars and engines and test run with them on it my fps decreases . mountains I like to make for my whole layouts I figure nothing can go wrong by makeing moutains in surveor. I'm thinking is cannot slow down the fps fps just made for trainz rolling stock and engines moveing on the track. I guess I have to live with low fps but I can still play the game ok.

I forgot to say I have windows xp but maybe increase to 4 gigs insead of 3 gigs I have now might be a good idea

Basically you need to go to TS2009/10 and a 64 bit operating system to make use of more memory. TRS2006 can only make use of one of your dual cores TS2010 can make use of both of them. There are performance sliders you can use, the distance one often has a major impact.

Look for scenery items that have a big performance impact TS2010 can help you identify them.

Cheerio John

I run TS2010 very well on a bare-minimum spec system using Windows XP 32-bit. Windows 7, and certainly Windows Vista, probably have more overhead than XP.

You computer is substantially better than mine in hardware specs. However, I do a few things you may not: First, as someone else posted, try to run as few background processes and services as possible. I am not in front of my gaming rig right now, but I can post pics of what processes and services I have running. Have a Hewlett-Packard product? Chances are you have four or five background process (none of which are really necessary) eating up memory and CPU time. Pretty much all software and hardware manufacturers are like that these days - installing almost-always-unnecessary crap into the background.

The second thing is your anti-virus software may drag your system down. My machine runs as a completely offline machine (which is not even an option for Vista and, I think Windows 7.) Therefore, I have no need for anti-virus software. AV and Anti-spyware software scans every single byte of data read from and written to your hard disk. That adds quite a bit of overhead, not to mention the memory it eats up. And if you use Norton's or McAfee, which are bloated pieces of junk, you're even more screwed. I don't even need to run a firewall 24/7 either, I run it only when needed. (I have customized my firewall to ONLY allow my computer to contact one IP address on the entire planet - that of the USA DLS.)

It helps to run with a lot of free disk space, too.

brakemans system specs vs mine

Quote Brakeman.
my hardware is :
graphics gforce nvidia 9800gt; cpu core 2 duo e8500; memory 3 gigs; 1tb hard drive motherboard gigabyte dd2 1333+ p45 chipset.

Your system is very similar to mine. 9600 gso; E8500; 3 gig per channel;MSI mobo. The only real difference is the drive.
I have 2006 + 2010 on a raptor on separate partitions.
My O/S xp sp3, plus printer drivers etc on another.
Anthing else on another.
Both 6+10 give me 30+ fps except on a route like Clovis 2 where 2006 will be 15 fps. I've yet to move it to 2010 for comparison.
CPU usage is 50% system idle also 50%.

The raptor drive decreases load/seek time but does not increase fps.

post reply to john whelan,rrsignal,superfudd,fran1

hello to all: and thanks for the time you gave me to sovle this poblem.

john whelan I'v tried to move the sliders left and right but not much is showing I will keep on trying on the sliders.

rrsignal: there is another program to protect the computers I think it is called avg or gva,gav,vag internet security something do you know what I'm talking about. it is suppose to be better than norton and mcaffee. nortion I was told raps itself around the computer if you know what I mean.I have no background programs running and my sys idle process is 99. my disk space has about 98% free space.

superfudd: I was thinking of cleaning my registry since I have not done it since I got this computer 2 yrs. ago.

fran1: yes I would like to see my cpu useage diagram when I run my layouts I built. but the layouts that are built in trs06 does not affect the fps. dont figure. if only I know how to see my cpu useage after running my layouts. then I can determine if its the cpu or my internet security is causing the problem.

this is my solution: increase my memory from 3 gigs to 4 gigs

take a look at my internet security system might need to switch to something else like avg internet antivirus program with less resources or something.

everyone keeps tell me that I have a great computer good computer and so on. my thoughts is if its so great why I'm I haveing low fps should be just other way around high fps. I'm thinking its my internet security system might be the problem do you have any ideas on new internetr security/ anitvirus programs. how about trainz cache or anything that need to to with trainz files does that needs to be cleaned up also?

Last edited:
hello fran1 reply to you

hello fran1:

I have looked up my cpu usage under task manager( and thanks for the info). I see 4 things that you will need to explaine to me if its ok with you. my cpu usage is 50 to 55

1). kernel memory: what is this and what effect does this have in trs06

2). physical memory: what is this I think I know just by reading the line but would like for you to explain it to me also

3).commit charge: I do not under stand this either

4). pf usage: and again I do not know what this means also

see if this helps also: I ran my layout and brought up cpu usage while I was running my layout

under physical memory:
sys cache: 1998728; available:1844856; total 3144108

kernal memory:

total: 177416; paged: 111528; nonpaged: 65868

connect charge:

total 1431988; limit: 6124300; peak: 1809716

handle: 17573; threads: 660; processes: 54;

something called commit charge in lower right hand corner says commit charge 1398m/5

I do not know if these numbers mean anything to you if so please explain them to me.

thanks for your time to answer this post

next time I run my layout I will look at my cpu usage and let you know if it ok with you.

Last edited:
Your cpu usage should be 50% TRS2006 can only make use of one of your two cpu cores. TS2009/10 can use them both.

Cheerio John

hello john whelan reply to you

hello:
I have looked at my cpu usage while running my layout and my cpu usage is from 50 to 55. I hope thats good. heres what I found out I turned off my whole internet security program and ran my alyout and my fps went up to 30 fps.

brakemen

Last edited:
hello:
I have looked at my cpu usage while running my layout and my cpu usage is from 50 to 55. I hope thats good. heres what I found out I turned off my whole internet security program and ran my alyout and my fps went up to 30 fps.

brakemen

Your internet security can easily halve overall performance or worse. You're lucky you have AVG - Norton's and to a slightly lesser extent, McAfee, are much worse. I could go onto a tangent as to why Vista failed in the business marketplace and W7 may very well because they require internet access and, therefore, anti-virus software...(ugh)

High CPU usage by Trainz.exe when it is running is ok. Before running Trainz, look at the task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and click on the Processes tab. Tick the box, "Show all processes." Look at this for a minute or two, first with nothing running, then maybe with your web browser open. The System Idle Process should take up 99% of CPU resources all the time, except maybe when you are just starting up your web browser. If at any time ANY other process consumes a significant amount of CPU time (apart from initially and intentionally starting your web browser or something else,) even if it's only 3 or 4% and shows just briefly, you have a problem.

Some of these "problems" are a fact of life of the OS. But, it's much more common that there is some unnecessary/unwanted garbage eating up your resources.

Trainz itself will eat up resources like I gobble up my girlfriend's awesome cooking. As long as you're not running anything else, that's okay - give Trainz the keys the gun and a full tank of gas and let her roll!

P.S.

Here's a look at the minimum processes you really need in an XP system. This is for XP Service Pack 2; I know SP3 adds a few things. Note that these modifications allow for a fully-functional, networkable, lan-able, wireless-able system - I could have cut things back much more. I have broken this into processes that normally run in the background (viewable via CTRL-ALT-DEL) and services (which do not always run in the background, run on demand, or not all all, and are not necessarily defined by process names. These can be viewed by Start->Control Panel->Performance and Maintenance->Administrative Tools->Services.

Note that wowexec and ntvdm are DOS things. I'm a DOS nut; these probably won't apply to you and won't even run unless you try to start an old DOS program.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48103985@N02/4407404555/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48103985@N02/4408178296/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48103985@N02/4407410101/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48103985@N02/4407414751/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48103985@N02/4407414761/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48103985@N02/4407414791/

Note also the PERSFW.EXE is Kerio Personal Firewall, which is only running because I'm posting to the net.

Back