trs04 V trs06

you're asking a big question!

Both products have their abilities and strengths, as well as weaknesses, but for me, I prefer 2006, because:
  • its quicker to load
  • open trainz directly from CMP for testing
  • Content manager shortens time making content (As to their config files)
  • helpful splash screen
  • larger abilities to script
But it does have its downsides
  • CMP is an absolute pain in the rear at times
  • Little documentation on the new features (CCP and CMP), apart from an overview
  • CMP is very scatty at downloading objects
Yes, most problems are with CMP, unfortuately.

EDIT: Also, if you got a low spec PC and doesn't have 512mb ram, or a Shared memory archetecture (cheaper brand card) video card, don't bother with TRS2006, as CMP will get quite scatty otherwise. Mainly by the fact that it will refuse to start!

Last edited:
For me, TRS2004 is better. It's like comparing EMD to Baldwin. TRS2004 (EMD) works.

TRS2006 (Baldwin) appears, from the hour that I played with it, to be the same animal, only it takes up more disk space, more processor, and more time to get anywhere. In short, it's the gass-guzzling, lower horsepower, slower version of what I already had. It came with more content, but nothing that appealed to my modeling interests.

From the postings I've seen, there are a LOT of complaints about CMP, something I've personally not messed with. But Download Helper was no picnic, either. The biggest pain for me is that DLH seemed to stop working right about the time CMP/TRS2006 came out. Gee...

CMP and the ability to run TRS2006 content are the #1 and #2 reasons for getting TRS2006, according (once more) to what I've read. I have yet to find another reason to run it.

Adam

Some experience sound problems with TRS2006, and Surveyor in '06 sometimes has difficulty with splines.

Back