Trouble smoothing splines on trackwork

slabay

Baseline Content Creator
An annoying problem I'm having with my tracks: I'm using a DEM and trying to smooth out the tracks to eliminate the roller coaster. As I go along the tracks smoothing the splines, everything works as I go, but the spline point behind me keeps getting kinked.

If it makes sense explaining it this way, I smooth point one. Move on to point 2, smooth it, and this kinks point one. When I move on to three, that kinks two. It doesn't seem to matter if I use fixed vertexes or not.:'(

HELP!!!!!

slabay201107100000.jpg
[/URL]%20%20Uploaded%20with%20ImageShack.us[/IMG]

IDK ... I lay the track throughout the route ... then I iron out the gradients ... then at last I hit "Smooth Spline" all togther, at once, progressivly on down the line.

You need to "fix" your spline heights before using the "smooth spline height" tool. You can do this by applying a grade as cascade railroad said, which is the way I usually do it too, or by using the "adjust spline height tool". If you click on the spline point, but don't drag the mouse, the spline point will be fixed where it is currently. Then use the smooth spline tool to adjust the grade to the now fixed track.

That seems like it did the trick.....I've got a lot of things to do this week, so I guess it will be next weekend before I can really get into working on it again. The little part I tested it out on seems OK though. Thanks!

Back