Transferring to Hard Drive

SETXRailfan

Trainz Glitch Receiver
Hi guys!

I am finally going to get a new computer, and I have an external hard drive to back things up. However, I am not sure what all to put up on the hard drive. Do I do just the N3V Games folder in Program Files? Is there something else I have to put in? It would be nice if I could get a serious response please as I have until tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Hi guys!

I am finally going to get a new computer, and I have an external hard drive to back things up. However, I am not sure what all to put up on the hard drive. Do I do just the N3V Games folder in Program Files? Is there something else I have to put in? It would be nice if I could get a serious response please as I have until tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Back up your complete N3V/TS12 directory. - Just copy and paste to your external drive. It'll take a lot of time as the files copy so you might want to do this overnight, or while you're off doing something else.

When your new computer is setup:

Copy the complete N3V/TS12 directory to your hard drive.

Create a short cut to the Launcher in the bin directory (Use the send to when your right-click on the exe to send a short cut to your desktop).

Create a short cut to Content Manager, which is also in the bin directory.

You can now run TS12 just like you did before.

You will need to associate .cdp files with Content Manager, but that's about it.

I've done this going from Vista to Windows 7, then Windows 7 to Windows 8 on up through Windows 10 Tech Preview, all with out any problem.

Hope this helps.

John

Okay, thanks! I put the folder into Dropbox as it turns out that the hard drive is buggy. Refundable indeed. You were right, it took about 5 hours to get it in there. Making the jump from Vista to 8.1.

You don't have to worry about registry entries at all? I was wondering about this too, if you could just copy or did it need registry.

Okay, thanks! I put the folder into Dropbox as it turns out that the hard drive is buggy. Refundable indeed. You were right, it took about 5 hours to get it in there. Making the jump from Vista to 8.1.

That'll be a shock. When you get there, eventually, post and we can help. I've been using Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 since they came out and now testing Windows 10, which will be an awesome replacement.

You are not having content manager lockups in 8.1? If not then why the heck was I having them all the time, I mean all the time. Sometimes as soon as I clicked on a tab it would lock it solid. I went back to 7 but don't like it compared to 8.1.

You are not having content manager lockups in 8.1? If not then why the heck was I having them all the time, I mean all the time. Sometimes as soon as I clicked on a tab it would lock it solid. I went back to 7 but don't like it compared to 8.1.

Did you turn off antivirus scanning from the TS12 folders? The a/v will constantly scan any file or folder when it's accessed. By disabling the realtime scanning of the Trainz install path and subfolders, the program can work without interruption.

Keep in mind too that Windows 8.1 also has a higher file security level so the a/v scanning, combined with the higher security may have been messing things up.

Did you turn off antivirus scanning from the TS12 folders? The a/v will constantly scan any file or folder when it's accessed. By disabling the realtime scanning of the Trainz install path and subfolders, the program can work without interruption.

Keep in mind too that Windows 8.1 also has a higher file security level so the a/v scanning, combined with the higher security may have been messing things up.

I didn't know this was possible for single programs, not sure how to do it in Panda, will have to check. Thanks.

Back