TransDEM/MicroDEM

lewisner

OK...briefly my PC crashed 2 days ago (my fault) and my one and only route was wiped from the face of the Earth.It seems as though all my downloaded Content has also gone.The last time I backed up was in September and for reasons I don"t understand yet I can"t access the old version of the Route or the Content as it stood in Sept.So, I"m essentially back to Square One.I"ve seen somewhere on the old Forum that someone is able to do DEM maps to order with OS maps overlaid on top.If so , who is it? I"ve downloaded MicroDEM and an SRTM map of my area but I don"t particularly relish stumbling about trying to learn how to make the whole thing work just for the one area I"m interested in.Free or Pay, its all good.Question 2) I"m working on a mid to lates 60s timeframe, so is it possible to scan and use a 1960s OS map on the DEM ?.Any hints on how to extract the Content from the DVD which was done with NERO Back It Up , would be appreciated .When I attempt to use CMP it tells me "No Content Found" .I"ve installed SP1 , which I hadn"t before the crash.Thanks in advance..:confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your problems, check here for TransDem .
As to your Nero back up, I think you have to reinstall and retrieve the back up with Nero.

Thanks,Among the weird things that happened was that the Microdem programme was on my Data Hard Drive and when I tried opening it I found that my "My Pictures" folder was INSIDE it and so at least they were safe.I"ve ran the old Content through NERO so theoretically it should be OK, but CMP still won"t see it.On the plus side I reinstalled Norton Security and (again bizarrely) it says I am subscribed for a year till next March whereas it should run out in September!!:p

Back-ups and TransDEM

Lewisner: Sorry to hear about your problem. I recently had a similar experience. I had all my stuff backed up on two separate RAID arrays (4 drives ) . I added a new "C" drive and re-installed OS. When asked to format the "new" drive, I said OK. Little did I know at the time that my new drive wasn't configured properly and I was actually formatting my old "raid" drives :eek:. Moral to the story, back-up on CD or DVD and remove from the PC.

As far as TranzDem, I purchased that recently, and it's not as bad as it may look at first glance. I found it much easier than the old "HOG" method. And, I'm an old guy and not particuarly computer savvy ! The neat thing about TranzDEM is that you can overlay the maps and/or images of the area. This is a great help in surveyor. I pondered over the manual for a while and decided to jump right in. The first go round took several hours, the second, only minutes. One thing I noticed about TranzDEM is that the author tries to cover a lot of bases world-wide. (too much information) Once you boil all that info down to the stuff you really need, it's pretty simple.
Good luck, Durff

Hi Hot Box, I also have a RAID drive and what happened was that the Partition on C drive is set at 30 Gb so I kept getting a message saying I was low on disc space.I phoned the helpline and was told to move things like photos and music to D drive.I did but was still short of space so I moved Microdem and (accidentally) NTDetect to D.The next morning it was frozen and the only way to restore it was to erase C drive including Program Files which is where Trainz was.What I don"t get is why my music went since thats surely stored in "My Music" and only "made available" to WMP? My Music is on D so it should have been safe.:eek:

Thanks,Among the weird things that happened was that the Microdem programme was on my Data Hard Drive and when I tried opening it I found that my "My Pictures" folder was INSIDE it and so at least they were safe.I"ve ran the old Content through NERO so theoretically it should be OK, but CMP still won"t see it.On the plus side I reinstalled Norton Security and (again bizarrely) it says I am subscribed for a year till next March whereas it should run out in September!!:p

Hi
with regard to Norton, I also had to reinstall this due to a reassesment of my system, at the time, norton had only 1 month left to go, after reinstall it also told me that I had 1 year, but 2 days later, I notice this had changed and it informed me that it was only running the 3 months trial and I needed to pay again, it is the intention to upgrade norton anyway so its not a problem, I think If you check you will also revert back to the original time line once it has connected to their site und updated its self

Damn! At least another weird thing happened.After writing my last post I reinstalled PowerCinema and as part of its seup it asks if you want to search for music.I said yes and it found..278 files hidden away! So all my Music and Videos are OK.I can"t play the downloaded music yet because of "Usage Rights" but at least its not as bad as it looked.:p

Hot_Box_Detector is right, one of the challenges in TransDEM is to support various geo data sources around the world, with different features and different data formats. It can be confusing for the new user.

For this reason I added the introductory chapter to the manual in version 1.2 which hopefully provides the reader with an overview of the main tasks and which is needed for what. I also rearranged and extended the tutorials for hands-on practice in a more logical order.

I guess Hot_Box_Detector's experience, taking several hours for a first attempt and only minutes for the second is reflecting a typical learning curve. The TransDEM subject is a complex one but I hope the user will agree that he can achieve rewarding results in TransDEM without being a surveyor, geophysicist or mathematician.

@lewisner:
TransDEM fully supports the O/S coordinate grid. O/S topographic maps from the 1960s will not be a problem, the grid system was defined in 1936.

geophil

Thanks for the detailed reply GeoPhil. However , as you can imagine I"m totally disheartened by losing all of my work and I"m questioning whether I shouldn"t simply forget it altogether.So if you or anyone else can do the job for me I"ll pay.I only want to do one area and then I"ll have about 6 months of work just to get back to where I was.In my experience "learning curves" are usually littered with mistakes and I"d rather leave it in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing...:(

Back