Trainz Simulator Mobile 3

Robertbc6

Hi,

I'm running TS3 in an iPhone 14. Does anyone know if it is possible to switch out locomotives and/or rolling stock on a pre-made session on a purchased route? It can obviously be done. But my question really is - will the session programming be altered - route, turnouts, speed settings, etc. I'd like to change things like switch cars to Orient Express, and a suitable period locomotive for those cars. If those changes will alter the session programming significantly, I will need to find another way to do that. Thanks for any help.

Bob Morrison

I would say it is not intended to work.
Sometimes I'm lucky and I can put another locomotive or rolling stock into a scenario. And sometimes the objective still works.
But most of the times, the basic free roam scenery is loading instead before putting the new loco/rolling stock and the scenario is gone.

If you have a sure way how it works, please let us know.
I read somewhere that it could work when the switching is done after the first objective of a scenario has been completed, but I have not played around with it, since I rather switch at the beginning of the scenario.

N3V, we need a scenario editor!

So, I tried a little more:
I can replace the loco in a session - I tried it for Tutorial 1 and 2 (KSC).
However, while it was fine for Tutorial 1, in Tutorial 2 the mandatory passenger stop was not recognized with the replaced loco and coaches. As a result I could not complete the session.

It does not seem to make sense to perform this replacement without the proper tools.

Does it work for you? Maybe try it for the same sessions.

I am going to follow your lead on Tutorial 1 and 2, but I think Maxim342 on Discord may have diagnosed the problem. Apparently, changing the rolling stock doesn't cause a problem. But when you change the locomotive, it changes the driver commands. He says that's fixable in TD1 and TD2, but I don't think it is in TS3. If I have a chance, I may try your thought of changing the locomotive after the first objective, but it's not high on my list of priorities. By the way, do you have any idea where you might have seen that?

Last edited:
I think it was in the comments of one of the Trainz 3 route reviews on Youtube.
Not a very detailed description...

Yes, seems to be the loco which breaks the session definition. Rolling stocks work, which is better than nothing, but let's, hope the editor is not too far away. :)

That unfortunately is how Trainz works. The driver's commands are assigned to the driver running the consist instead of just to the driver. If the driver is moved to another train, then the driver's commands are removed and have to be reassigned. It's too bad that in both versions of the program, meaning the full desktop as well as the mobile versions, that the commands weren't assigned to the driver and not to the consist so that the driver can move from train to train regardless of the commands assigned. This situation is how it is in real life. A driver may be driving one train and end up switching to continue the same journey due to a failed locomotive or for some other reason.

John,

I have a quick question. I understand that if I swap locomotives in TS3, I lose whatever driver commands may have been assigned to the original driver, even if I assign the original driver to the new loco. But what commands are involved - are nav points, turnouts or speed settings affected? How about the admittedly primitive AI? Thanks for any help.

Bob Morrison

John,

I have a quick question. I understand that if I swap locomotives in TS3, I lose whatever driver commands may have been assigned to the original driver, even if I assign the original driver to the new loco. But what commands are involved - are nav points, turnouts or speed settings affected? How about the admittedly primitive AI? Thanks for any help.

Bob Morrison

Hi Bob,

I'm not familiar with the Mobile versions except from running the really ancient Android version back in 2013 or so. If there is the standard Driver setup in this version, you can easily substitute the locomotives for each driver there. I do this all the time with various consists when I've decided to upgrade or try something else.

I replace the engine on the route by deleting the current locomotive and putting in a new one. This removes the engine but leaves its reference in the Driver Setup intact.
I will get the properties of the new locomotives I have placed down so I can write down the names. When working with a bunch of locomotives, remembering what they're called in the list can be confusing.

I then go into the Driver Setup (edit session from the menu within the Session editor). In there, the drivers will have a missing locomotive, and the name shows up as red.
I click on the red locomotive name and select the replacement locomotive from the list. With the name written down, I know which one to use, otherwise, that can be confusing.

When I've finished doing this to all the drivers, they now have new locomotives to drive, and the old ones have been removed. What helps too, which I forgot before, is doing this one driver at a time to ensure that the same driver is assigned to the same train with the new locomotive.

Your Nav points, turnouts, speed settings, etc., will remain because all you are doing is replacing the locomotives in the Driver Setup. The commands remain intact.

I hope this will work for you.

Hi John,

Thank you for the explanation.

Indeed, speed, switch settings and nav points are kept.

However, I can not get the loco swap to work. After removing the original loco (while keeping the coaches) and placing the new one, I allocated the original driver to the new locomotive.
This was still not enough to ensure that eaching the last nav point at the station was recognized and thus finishing the Tutorial 2 mission (my test case) was not possible.
So maybe the iPad TS3 has a too limited driver module to recover the driver commands? There is no session editor, just a simple driver allocation menu.
Or I need to try other missions...

Hi John,

Thank you for the explanation.

Indeed, speed, switch settings and nav points are kept.

However, I can not get the loco swap to work. After removing the original loco (while keeping the coaches) and placing the new one, I allocated the original driver to the new locomotive.
This was still not enough to ensure that eaching the last nav point at the station was recognized and thus finishing the Tutorial 2 mission (my test case) was not possible.
So maybe the iPad TS3 has a too limited driver module to recover the driver commands? There is no session editor, just a simple driver allocation menu.
Or I need to try other missions...

I would check other missions or sessions if they're available. The tutorials may very well be locked down. It would be a shame if that version is really locked down as you noted.

@danbun and JCitron,

Danbun, I ran tutorials 1 and 2, and got the same results you did. Everything worked fine except for the scoring at the end of tutorial 2. I'm going to try switching the engine after each turnout change, and see if that changes anything. If not, I will try one of the sessions from the Rocky Mountain route to see if that is different.

John, do you have any idea if the scoring programming is tied to the driver command structure at all?

Bob Morrison

@danbun and JCitron,

Danbun, I ran tutorials 1 and 2, and got the same results you did. Everything worked fine except for the scoring at the end of tutorial 2. I'm going to try switching the engine after each turnout change, and see if that changes anything. If not, I will try one of the sessions from the Rocky Mountain route to see if that is different.

John, do you have any idea if the scoring programming is tied to the driver command structure at all?

Bob Morrison

Hi Bob,

I have no clue about the scoring system per se, but in the main page of the session where the driver setup is located, there are various options that can be added to the session. Using the desktop version as reference, there are start up options, settings for derailed trains, and a way to configure triggers. The scoring system, I'm thinking must be setup similarly.

Is there a way to clone the session you are modifying and work on your own copy? If so, you can remove the parts you don't want such as the scoring section to allow you to just drive the trains using the existing commands without the extra overhead such as scoring. I know this is possible on the desktop version but not sure about mobile.

Is this system tied to a particular consist? It's possible since Trainz tracks the drivers through the consist and not the other way around.

Last edited:
I would say what we are trying to do (replacing the locomotive in a pre-made session) is already out of scope for Trainz 3. In only works with a workaround.

As a result I'm not surprised that it is not working to 100%. The driver management is very simple on mobile and not comparable to the desktop version.

The official N3V website for TS3 (https://info.trainzsimulator.com/ts3) notes for future updates: "More Train Placement & AI Options - Making it even easier to Issue complex sets of commands to your AI Drivers and make your own custom session". So it will come sometime.

Best regards,
Andreas

@danbun,

I thought I had gotten one of the Rocky Mountain sessions to work. At first it was good, but then I noticed that none of the stations worked. I then decided to try recreating the session in free drive. It seemed to be fine, but when I attempted to run it, it attempted to run but then all I got was the alternating squares, and it locked up there. I guess I should have left well-enough alone. Have you had anything like this happen to you, and if it did, how did you resolve it? Thanks for any help.

Bob Morrison

Back