Sessions VS prestocking, which do you prefer on your TRS2018 route?

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
As you all already know I have committed to migrating my 14 routes to TRS2018 with all the new bells and whistles, assuming that is possible for each route.

In the past all my routes were devoid of any rolling stock and engines of any type and left that up to the user to decide what he/she wanted. Sessions I developed contained pre-defined rolling stock for those routes I did it for.

After reading all the comments over the years I am beginning to believe that sessions might not be the way to go any more and that pre-stocking of rolling stock and engines on the BASE route might be a better way to go for most users. Pre-stocking would allow you to have a route that you can immediately plunge into and use, although you will still have to determine how you want to do things and when (ie; service industries, pickup and drop off passengers, scheduling, etc). Keep in mind that even with pre-stocking you can still edit the route to add or delete what you like or don't like.

What do you users think about this. Would you prefer pre-stocking or do you want a bare route devoid of any rolling stock and engines?

Bob

I like my routes without any rolling stock on it.

Especially your work is interesting for those wanting to create multiplayer sessions as you always manage to only use built in or DLS content. If you need to edit a route to remove the trains you don’t like, it immediately is no longer usable for multiplayer (as that doesn’t allow any content used to be locally modified).

Funny enough I also like it when people supply a “base” session with some fitting trains on it, but that is just a bonus. Your sessions usually qualified as that bonus.

Used your routes a lot. I prefer a bare route with a session either with or without stock. Really do enjoy your routes and session. I've run the Catt sessions many time and in different seasons.

Thanks
Rob

They both have value. After so many Trainz versions and downloading, placing rolling stock has the issue of picking vehicles in surveyor that will load and operate with the layout. A session (or even prestocking solves this). For example, which gondola should I place on the layout to accept visible loads from industry xxx?

Also, it would be nice to know which industries the creator intends to be operable (especially with visible loads and/or animation). Just opening a blank route cold can take a lot of time and dedication to figure out what to do with it.

Prestocked sessions . But as for stocked routes , it would depend on the route . Lets say as an historic recreation of an specific time , then most definitely . But if intended for a greater overall time . Then no .

Matt

I prefer a bare route without any prestocking. A "Free Roam" session with all the rolling stock is far more useful and eliminates the need to go around the route deleting unwanted prestocked consists.

With all the "old stuff" floating around, a pre-stocked SESSION would be nice if it avoided stock less than a few years old. The session should demo the operation of all industries, stations, etc. The session would prove that most signals, crossings, etc. do function. I other-words a baseline ,which the user can return to, if their latest change or asset addon does not work.
Dick

I like my routes without any rolling stock on it.

Especially your work is interesting for those wanting to create multiplayer sessions as you always manage to only use built in or DLS content. If you need to edit a route to remove the trains you don’t like, it immediately is no longer usable for multiplayer (as that doesn’t allow any content used to be locally modified).

Funny enough I also like it when people supply a “base” session with some fitting trains on it, but that is just a bonus. Your sessions usually qualified as that bonus.

I hadn't considered the impact this might have on multiplayer as I never use multiplayer myself. Thanks for the comments!

At this point the consensus among those who replied seems to be against pre-stocking....

Bob

My two (Euro)cents:

A pre-stocked route prevents the development of sessions by other users, since they could have to remove the existing rolling stock and, in so doing, will have to save a new route.

A "base" session containing the pre-stocked rolling stock would be a much more flexible option.

Thanks for your routes, anyway!

Back