Trainz on Thinkpad?

DjHammers

Hi everyone i have an 11 inch X61s Lenevo ThinkPad. It is small but it can play OpenBVE (an open source cab view sim) at 30 FPS on many routes after some tweaking with Ready-boost and Task Manager. I was wondering if I can run Trainz 2006 on my laptop. Here are my specs:

88 GB Hard Drive, 56.9 GB Free Space
Intel Mobile 965 Express Chipset 448.00 MB VRAM
Centrino Pro Intel Core 2 Duo L7500 1.60 GHZ 4MB L2 Cache 800 MHZ FSB
1 GB Intel Turbo Memory
2 GB DDR3 RAM (2 1GB Modules)
16GB SDHC card in an integrated reader providing 3.99 GB Ready-boost RAM
Latest Drivers and Updates
Windows Vista Business 32 Bit SP2
I run a full Diskeeper de-fragmentation every night to keep fragmentation almost non-existent too.

My Windows Experience Index Ratings (Scores range from 1 to 5.99):
Processor: 4.7
Memory: 4.8
Graphics: 3.5
Gaming Graphics: 3.5
Primary Hard Disk: 4.9
Base Score: 3.5

My mediocre graphics chip-set is definitely the #1 problem.
I also terminate any unneeded processes and services in task manager to speed things up a little bit.
Ready-Boost is also very effective, it increased my OpenBVE FPS from 20 to 30.

If I can't get TRS2006 on this computer I have 2 choices:
1: Run through Wine at 0.2 FPS on a Ex-Screamer Dell Dimension from 2000 Running Ubuntu 9.10 (Barely)
2: Run it through Cross-Over Games on my Quad Core Nvidia 7300GT First-Gen Mac Pro Desktop.
Cross-Over it costs money though and might not work.

Please Reply!

Last edited:
I suspect it will run. How well?
My daughter can run TRS2004 on her 6 year old HP desktop with main board intergrated graphics with sliders and setting minimized. She tried TRS2006 but it was too jerky. Needless to key she was using fairly simple layouts like those I put on thr DLS.

Hi DjHammers
I will warn you right now that on board graphics is not supported for Trainz. Some people have been able to get it to work, however we do not support it.

Best thing to do is to check that it can run OpenGL (not sure what version, although if I recall right it's around the '2' mark), and that you have the latest drivers for it.

Actually, I just ran it for the first time on my laptop and its GREAT!
I'm talking about running trainz 2006 on 12 inch IBM ultraportable!
I get around 50 FPS, no lag, nothing.
I obviously can't set the sliders to max, but they are all in the middle. By the way, OpenGL doesn't work, only DirectX. It says that I need to update my drivers for openGL but I already have the newest ones. But it doesn't matter anyway because it works without a problem on DirectX10. It is a memory hog though, all of my memory (1GB Turbo Memory, 2GB DDR3, 3.99GB Readyboost) was being hogged. It's like playing it on a desktop!

Back