Trainz Classics 3rd Edition "Settle-Carlisle"

Of course, we already have a class 101, but I wonder if there's any chance of 'improving it', ie. custom cab and interior, custom engine sound, reskin, other bells and whistles?

Seven! DMUs got to be the most neglected part of BR History whether in model or simulator form. While , like another contributor, I'd love a Swindon 120 (actually a Swindon Ayrshire 126 would be better!)these did not run on S&C. What is needed are Class 101 and Class 108s.

What Classes do people want to see out of the ones that operated on the S&C line and when did these units start working on the lines? I know they were built earlier than the Class 37s, by 3 years, but as for when they operated....!

I am not suggesting I'll make one on behalf of the group, but what could happen if it doesn't make the final cut, is for the unit to be a third party add-on, along with a session. (although, due to a lack of research, I wish to avoid this as much as possible.)

WEN! Of all the lines that I can think off in the North of England the Settle and Carlisle in the period we are on about probably had the least amount of DMU traffic. When I was at school our school bought the old school building at Helwith Bridge to use as an outdoor pursuit centre. Despite no health and safety:p regulations back then, most of us survived and indeed kept our limbs.

I am talking 1970s now, and can remember hearing endless freights with class 40s or 25s, the odd Brush 4 (47) or peak (45/6) on passenger. Now and again we were very pleased to see class 50s on diverted WCML trains (usually double headed)-diverted because of electrification on the main line). As for DMUs, not a single occasion springs to mind, although I am sure that the odd one must have made it.

John

WEN! Of all the lines that I can think off in the North of England the Settle and Carlisle in the period we are on about probably had the least amount of DMU traffic....
As for DMUs, not a single occasion springs to mind, although I am sure that the odd one must have made it.

You may be right, DMU's must of been very rare to go across that line, but they became more common in the 1980s.

I had a look at some classes of what might be allocated nearby, now it would be a 101/4/8, as all 3 types were either based at Carlisle depot, Leeds depot, or both.
http://www.railcar.co.uk/his100-109/101ops.htm
http://www.railcar.co.uk/his100-109/104ops.htm
http://www.railcar.co.uk/his100-109/108ops.htm

The earliest photo I could find of one transversing the line, is linked below, around 1982, so we are both not completely wrong, we just got different periods in our minds.
http://peter-cooper.fotopic.net/p29153414.html

WEN , we are both correct but the one that you linked to is on a Leeds to Morecambe service which leaves the line at Settle Junction, at the point where the Settle Carlisle actually starts! If you look between the train and the signal box you can see the junction signal. Settle Junction is still in a fairly old (but very well maintained) state. And I can't find a single shot of the signalbox.:confused:

This is the Morecambe line just past the junction, (on the left). Carlisle straight ahead.

carlisetripon8f19070002nb7.jpg

and here is a house, which is for sale, that Craig wants his Mum and I to buy, I wonder why? (Think Mike Banfields' railway and you might get a clue!) Morecambe line (to Carnforth) at the lower level.

carlisetripon8f19070009pq4.jpg

if I win a million pounds you WILL be invited to the housewarming!

John
John

A million quid? I presume that includes all the Ribble Valley water meadows visible in the photo. :)

In that location? Probably not... but I'd expect it to be slightly less expensive than £1m. Not much less though. The rest is probably beer allowance ;)

I'm sure Auran's answer to compete with Kuju and MSTS2 will come soon:p :cool:

Tom

Hows this all Aussie route

TC4 Crossing The [SIZE=-1]Nullarbor

Will run on any PC Low Poly Route high frame rates hours of fun

1 train
1 track
1 texture
1 backdrop

Dave
[/SIZE]

By coincidence, the October issue of Model Rail has an article on the types of train seen on the Settle & Carlisle. Haven't read it yet but thought it might be of use

Russell

Look forward to this – used to spot in the Garsdale area in the 70’s (mostly on WCML diversion days), by which time the line was in serious decline and local services had all (but) stopped.

There were a number of private sidings along the line that produced a variety of produce and in the 60's stopping goods services were provided to the local stations. Would really like to see scenarios with stopping freight as well as through and naturally local/express passenger services.

Modern PCs should be able to run a fair number of trains consecutively and with 90 odd miles of track, there’s hopefully space to utilise passing loops and the like properly.

Hello everybody, I think this is my first post so my greeting is genuine! :D

Personally I'm really excited about TC3. I'm still in my teens (albeit late teens) so just youngin' but when I saw that the whole game was the SnC I could hardly contain my joy! With a terribly english grandmother I've always considered myself a bit of a 'son of the empire' and ever since I saw my grandfathers "Smoke and Steam on the Settle and Carlisle" video I've been in love with the route, albeit from afar.

I got Trainz SP3 first, then quickly to UTC, then on to TRS2004 fairly quickly upon its realease and then I skipped 06 as I played a mates copy. I'm rather a picky little bugger and I only like the (what I consider to be) high quality stuff, and, although this is in no way meant to be a slight against the many awesome content creators out there, I didn't really like much of the 3rd party content bundled with 04 or 06, much of which (being British-empire to the bone) I didn't look at twice. I.e. most European, American and even my native Australian stuff didn't stand a chance.

I think the TC system is absolulty brilliant as has been pointed out no one HAS to buy, and for those who want to it's a 'lite' version of trains containing (for me) all the perfect stuff. From what I've seen of the screenshots the route, stock and locomotives look absolultey gorgeous and everybody on the team deserves a very big well done. I eagerly anticipate it's release, and based on Hawes Junction the Jinty and the 04, I know I won't be disapointed! :p

Hi toby2 - Welcome to Trainz Forum and glad that you are (with me) very excited about TC3. When I was a "youngin", I spent all my waking hours alongside the East Coast main line (London - Edinburgh) and so while TC3 has concentrated on the opposite coast (?) ....... it is really exciting to see how Auran have improved the trains experience. To be totally honest, as long as I can "smell" the smoke, steam, hot metal, and diesel fumes, I can forgive Auran for not hitting on my railway territory. A rebuilt Royal Scot thundering up an incline is just as impressive to me as an A3, and a "Peak" Type 4 diesel is just as awesome under power as an English Electric Type 4. I had better finish before I get totally carried away!
:udrool:
Colin.

You TC enthusiasts that have your hopes up for the Settle and Whatever route, to you I pose a question: Have you purchased TC 1 & 2?

Just curious.

Ed

You TC enthusiasts that have your hopes up for the Settle and Whatever route, to you I pose a question: Have you purchased TC 1 & 2?

Just curious.

Ed

Nope....... still in TRS2004 world! TRS2006 was a disappointment, and on that basis I was not prepared to gamble on TC1. TC2 aroused my interest but not my wallet! Based on my belief that Auran would really like the TC series to work, I am going to assume that a lot of initial TC problems have now been fixed and that TC3 will be quite wonderful.

Regards. Colin.

For your sake....I hope so too.

The Harlem line was ......... a disappointment. I have documented my reasons for labeling it so in other forums here. The UK route is not being made "in house" (so I believe), and those chaps may do a better job.

For your sake....I hope so.

Ed

For your sake....I hope so too.

The Harlem line was ......... a disappointment. I have documented my reasons for labeling it so in other forums here. The UK route is not being made "in house" (so I believe), and those chaps may do a better job.

For your sake....I hope so.

Ed

With the greatest respect, you seem to be taking this too seriously. The worst case scenario (I always play worse case scenarios) .... is that I revert to TRS2004. I absolutely love TRS2004 so would have no regrets. I am just hoping that TC3 is a little better!

Keep smiling ............. 'cos I certainly will.:)

Regards. Colin.

Back