Trainz 22 Platinum Edition

stouthm

Get over it
Just one question and to me it's a important one. If I purchase this edition with my 40% discount will I have to pay a renewal fee each year? In other words, is it a subscription?

No, not if you are just buying 22 Platinum. You have to buy plus, silver or gold to get a subscription. They were offering a year of plus along with 22PE, but I think you can just by 22PE.

Yes, you get a forever license for TRS22 Platinum Edition. At the moment only Trains Plus is offered via a subscription either as Trainz Plus Standard or Trainz Plus Gold. They dropped the Silver plan a while back.

What does platinum offer?
Trainz Plus, a monthly or annual subscription is required, offers the most features. You get Surveyor 2.0 (as well as Surveyor 1.0 or Surveyor Classic), full HD Terrain, Multiplayer Surveyor and, in the next update, Trainz Living Railroad. Trainz Plus Gold adds free access to all DLC content while you maintain your subscription. The subscription gives you regular updates with new features (Trainz Living Railroad, currently in beta testing, will be in the next update).

TRS22 Platinum, which is an outright purchase with no monthly or annual subscriptions, comes with Surveyor 2.0 and Surveyor Classic. You have the ability to load and use routes with HD terrain but cannot edit the terrain at the HD level (but there is some "discussion" about this in the forums).

You don't install anything, the platinum features are already built in to the code of TRS22 SP2. You just pay the update fee and once your username status is updated on N3V's servers to include TRS22 Platinum then the features are activated when you login.

For me I assumed that I was purchasing the latest Surveyor 2, which I assumed was an update to the Surveyor Classic already included in my install.
I do not need any other platinum assets as I only work on my own route, in progress for years now.
So what are the surveyor 2 improvements please.

You get Surveyor 2.0 as well surveyor classic, you can switch back and forth freely with just a menu choice. Here is the documentation for Surveyor 2.0.

There are also numerous videos on YouTube showing the features in action. Just look on the N3V Games channel.

Be aware that Surveyor 2.0 in TRS22 PE does NOT include HD Terrain or the Color Effect layer tool. But other than those two features it is exactly the same was what is available in Trainz Plus. Surveyor 2.0 is the bulk of the what is included in the Platinum update. Now take your time with it and read Peter Ware's fantastic documentation in the Wiki to understand all the new tools and you will be fine. As I mentioned above, you can switch back and forth between Surveyor 2.0 and Surveyor Classic while working on your route so you get the best of both worlds.

Just one question and to me it's a important one. If I purchase this edition with my 40% discount will I have to pay a renewal fee each year? In other words, is it a subscription?
It isn't, but be aware that most DLC is bundled with Plus so you won't be able to use it with the freestanding (ie. not rental) version of TRS22.

Paul

About Platinum did I remember a news letter saying it's free with membership renewal for plus members ?

What is Scrapbook? It is a "copy and paste" for scenery, effect layers, ground textures and terrain heights that you can also save as an asset.

See the Trainz Wiki Page at Scrapbook Data or the various YouTube Trainz videos for more details.

The video is a nearly two hour livestream tutorial on the features of Surveyor 2.o by Approach Medium. I posted it in response to JackDownUnder's question on the what are the features of Surveyor 2.o. Approach Medium is the new manager of social media for N3V as well as a very skilled route builder.

Back