Trainz 2022 performance is still so bad

Finally after months of waiting the update for trainz 2022 (SP4) has been released to fix many of the bugs and other stuff that the previous update brought.
but the thing that has me confused is how there hasn't been a big push to fix the performance of trainz 2022.

in the videos below i will be using trainz 22 and trainz 19 to show the difference in performance using the same map, session and graphic settings. Also each session has around 20 AI trains running around doing simple task that i assigned them too.

Trainz 22 (using high graphic settings) can barely pass 60 fps and most of the time the fps is in the mid 40s. the biggest sin of it all is slow rendering of objects such as tracks and trees that require you to pause the game for everything to render in.

Trainz 19 (using high graphic settings) can achieve over 150 Fps and 200 Fps in certain cases. trainz 19 also renders everything way much faster when your moving around or switching locomotives.

Trainz 22 (44fps)

Trainz 19 (199 Fps)

graphical Settings that i used for both Trainz 22 and trainz 19 and my pc specs are 5600x 32 GB ram paired with a RTX 4070. the optimization for trainz truly suck.

Last edited:
Hmm, I have done the same test with same settings on my map's session and I have maybe +/- 3fps difference in favor for TRS22.

+1
Thank You for posting the results!
This is a good way for the Developers to look deeper into these issue's.
Hopefully in my life time, I will experience the awesome TRS-22 updates, and good night lighting.
I truly feel like Trainz is not fully using the pc components to its full potential. since the release of Trainz 2022 i've upgraded my gpu a couple of times. i went from a RTX 2060 to a RTX 3060 TI and now im using a rtx 4070. each time i upgraded my gpu i saw massive improvements in the other games i play on my pc and especially in vr and 4k game play. but i barely saw a improvement in performance in Trainz 22. A RTX 4070 should not be struggling to run Trainz.

26% gpu usage and 31% cpu usage on high settings and low fps for Trainz 22

95% gpu usage and 54% cpu usage on high settings but high fps. it looks like Trainz 19 is actually using my pc components to its full potential compared to Trainz 22.

Don't forget to put into consideration the assets used in 2019 may work great but lag in 2022.
I found out the same way and turns out I had to update or replace assets which eventually fixed the issues...
Dave

Don't forget to put into consideration the assets used in 2019 may work great but lag in 2022.
I found out the same way and turns out I had to update or replace assets which eventually fixed the issues...
Dave
If that is the case do you think that's what's causing Trainz 22 performance to be so bad? and what method did you use to detect that a asset from trainz 19 is causing the bad performance in train 22? i know using the Performance Statistics display is a method to see what asset is killing your performance but most of the time the Performance Statistics shows the "worst index count" and "worst buffer count" as trees or tracks or whatever asset that you have multiple of in the area that you are in. But truly sometimes its not the worst offender. like the Trainz Wiki says "worst buffer count" is The KUID and total buffer count of the single asset which is consuming the largest number of hardware buffers. This does not necessarily indicate a poor performer - it may be that the asset is simply used far more heavily than other assets in the current scene.

Last edited:
If that is the case do you think that's what's causing Trainz 22 performance to be so bad?
The graphics settings have changed in TRS22 compared to what they were in the past. What was once Standard is now called Basic. You may have to adjust your sliders and do other things to ensure decent performance on your laptop or desktop.

TRS22 does in fact use your GPU more than TRS19 ever did. The GPU is used not only for graphics but also for many of the scripting and other calculations which were once handled by the CPU.

Assets can impact performance depending upon how they are made. This is why you see such variability with your FPS. If you are using lots of Sketch-up models, then you are going to see a lot of lugging and stutter due to how they are created. Older, large assets with a high polycount and incorrectly implemented or non-existent LODs will definitely impact performance as they pop into place.

The graphics settings have changed in TRS22 compared to what they were in the past. What was once Standard is now called Basic. You may have to adjust your sliders and do other things to ensure decent performance on your laptop or desktop.
The thing that makes no sense about that is no matter how low you put the graphical settings in Trainz22 you still get bad performance.

As you can see in this photo i have set everything to low in the launcher menu.

I also turned everything set to low in the in-game settings.

In this video you will see that with all settings turned down to low Trainz22 still cant hit over 60fps and is lagging pretty bad. the scenery is pretty basic too . As i mentioned earlier on in this topic that this same map runs perfect in Trainz 19. you mentioned that "You may have to adjust your sliders and do other things to ensure decent performance on your laptop or desktop." and "What was once Standard is now called Basic." but look how low i have the settings and i'm still getting such bad performance on a RTX 4070 :unsure:. and you are right about Sketch-up models with a high polycount can affect performance but i pretty sure if that was the problem for this map i would be seeing bad performance in Trainz19.

someone mentioned the problems that i am showing here in this post (https://forums.auran.com/threads/performance-issues.178306/post-2022505)

Last edited:
The thing that makes no sense about that is no matter how low you put the graphical settings in Trainz22 you still get bad performance.

As you can see in this photo i have set everything to low in the launcher menu.

I also turned everything set to low in the in-game settings.

In this video you will see that with all settings turned down to low Trainz22 still cant hit over 60fps and is lagging pretty bad. the scenery is pretty basic too . As i mentioned earlier on in this topic that this same map runs perfect in Trainz 19. you mentioned that "You may have to adjust your sliders and do other things to ensure decent performance on your laptop or desktop." and "What was once Standard is now called Basic." but look how low i have the settings and i'm still getting such bad performance on a RTX 4070 :unsure:. and you are right about Sketch-up models with a high polycount can affect performance but i pretty sure if that was the problem for this map i would be seeing bad performance in Trainz19.

someone mentioned the problems that i am showing here in this post (https://forums.auran.com/threads/performance-issues.178306/post-2022505)

I don't have those issues and I'm using an RTX3080.

Try changing your V-sync to half instead of none or 60 fps. I find that helps considerably with performance and with heat.

I don't have those issues and I'm using an RTX3080.

Try changing your V-sync to half instead of none or 60 fps. I find that helps considerably with performance and with heat.
My V-sync option is always set to full so that my fps caps at my monitors default refresh rate of 60 and to prevent screen tearing. if i set it to Half it would just cap my fps to 30 instead of 60. the only time i've had V-sync set to none is to show the achievable fps in the performance photos and videos i posted. so i truly don't think it has anything to do with the V-sync options.

Last edited:
My V-sync option is always set to full so that my fps caps at my monitors default refresh rate of 60 and to prevent screen tearing. if i set it to Half it would just cap my fps to 30 instead of 60. the only time i've had V-sync set to none is to show the achievable fps in the performance photos and videos i posted. so i truly don't think it has anything to do do with V-sync options.
Try 30 or half for Trainz. There's a lot of content that loads up that is not optimized and that can cause many of the issues you have. Trust me on this. Give it a try and see what happens.

Unlike other games, Trainz is an open world with the majority of the content made by the users and very rarely by the company. Trainz is also unique in that it can support content made 20 years ago right alongside content made yesterday or today. With this disparity in content comes performance issues. Over time, the content creation requirements have become stricter but these requirements are not enforced for older content. Older content doesn't have LOD, and/or uses double-sided textures. These issues can cause performance issues with any video card.

By setting your V-sync to half, you give your video card a chance to process the content otherwise it's constantly being hammered by data it can't always process.

With that said, these are the settings I use.

Windowed instead of Full screen due to my odd screen size.
V-sync = Half

Shadows: Ultra
Shader quality Basic - I disabled PBR textures because I find them gross. This also helps with performance and heat.

Texture detail: Normal. - I used to run High or Ultra and Normal is fine.
Post processing: High.
Water quality: Ultra
Detail scenery: Clutter + TurfFX
Antialiasing: 8x

No PhysX - it never worked properly
Checked Process objects behind camera

In-game settings:

Draw Distance varies between the routes. For those with distant vistas, I'll increase the draw distance to the max. For those that are urban or have a lot of tree tunnels such as my own very large route, which as a combination of both, I set the draw distance shorter. There's no reason to waste bandwidth for stuff I can't see.

Texture and Post processing settings are set to match the Trainz settings on the Launcher
Tree detail is normal.

With these settings, I have zero stutters and no tearing or lag. The content has a chance to load up fine.

Try 30 or half for Trainz. There's a lot of content that loads up that is not optimized and that can cause many of the issues you have. Trust me on this. Give it a try and see what happens.

Unlike other games, Trainz is an open world with the majority of the content made by the users and very rarely by the company. Trainz is also unique in that it can support content made 20 years ago right alongside content made yesterday or today. With this disparity in content comes performance issues. Over time, the content creation requirements have become stricter but these requirements are not enforced for older content. Older content doesn't have LOD, and/or uses double-sided textures. These issues can cause performance issues with any video card.

By setting your V-sync to half, you give your video card a chance to process the content otherwise it's constantly being hammered by data it can't always process.

With that said, these are the settings I use.

Windowed instead of Full screen due to my odd screen size.
V-sync = Half

Shadows: Ultra
Shader quality Basic - I disabled PBR textures because I find them gross. This also helps with performance and heat.

Texture detail: Normal. - I used to run High or Ultra and Normal is fine.
Post processing: High.
Water quality: Ultra
Detail scenery: Clutter + TurfFX
Antialiasing: 8x

No PhysX - it never worked properly
Checked Process objects behind camera

In-game settings:

Draw Distance varies between the routes. For those with distant vistas, I'll increase the draw distance to the max. For those that are urban or have a lot of tree tunnels such as my own very large route, which as a combination of both, I set the draw distance shorter. There's no reason to waste bandwidth for stuff I can't see.

Texture and Post processing settings are set to match the Trainz settings on the Launcher
Tree detail is normal.

With these settings, I have zero stutters and no tearing or lag. The content has a chance to load up fine.
I agree with the graphical settings you mentioned but i will not be using "V-sync = Half" because like me and you both mentioned it would just cap my fps to 30. I paid almost $1000 for a graphics card that plays everything on my pc flawlessly with high settings. i shouldn't be capping my fps to 30 because Trainz is so poorly optimized. you mentioned that you have a RTX 3080 but your capping your fps at 30? that is ridiculous! A RTX 3080 should be capable of running this game with a frame cap way higher that 30fps. i do understand that a 30fps cap is stable but it seems like its just a lazy way to hide the bad performance of trainz 22.

I agree with the graphical settings you mentioned but i will not be using "V-sync = Half" because like me and you both mentioned it would just cap my fps to 30. I paid almost $1000 for a graphics card that plays everything on my pc flawlessly with high settings. i shouldn't be capping my fps to 30 because Trainz is so poorly optimized. you mentioned that you have a RTX 3080 but your capping your fps at 30? that is ridiculous! A RTX 3080 should be capable of running this game with a frame cap way higher that 30fps. i do understand that a 30fps cap is stable but it seems like its just a lazy way to hide the bad performance of trainz 22.
My card is quite capable of a lot more. I cap it at 30 fps for best performance and for heat mitigation but mostly because it's a matter of performance.

Would you rather have stutters and a headache or smooth running? It's up to you to decide. I gave you my settings that work for me and I don't get a headache and I don't complain.

Back