Trainz 2009 FUBAR

Auran could have improved built in rolling stock and locos and buildings, see through windows and interiors for the old passenger cars, wheels that actually move on the bogies, better engine configs etc. This could have been done for TRS2006, but the only improvement we got was adding industry capability to these old stagers.
Regurgitating the same old stuff with out reasonable detail improvement is a bit of a con. Both TC edition included as "extras" several buildings and trees from the original Trainz. Especially in TC3 compared with the new content included this old looks really dreadful. What was the point? For $30 Aus TC3 is better value than TRS2009 IMHO, and is supported by the developers not Auran, far more than Auran ever has.

TS2009 New Content?

Hello,

I've been a Trainz user since UTC version. I've always thought that Trainz looked a little cartoony, the biggest contributor to that being lack of realistic shadows from sunlight. However it's a fun program, and I've enjoyed all of the additional content one could get from the DLS and make a nice looking route. Big kudos go out to all of those who have contributed content, it's been fun to use. (especially USA content!)

I'm looking at purchasing TS2009 WBE, it looks like a bargain at $29 US. From reading various threads on the forum, a major complaint seems to be that there is a lack of TS2009 content included with the program, is that correct? My biggest concern is this: is there enough TS2009 content included or available to build a basic route? Are there TS2009 items available in the DLS? (I tried to do a search for items but I never seem to find anything specific to TS2009.)

I think my expectation is that the program should be usable without having to use 95% legacy content.

Should I purchase now? Or should I wait until a TS2009-specific content update is released by Auran?

Thanks,
kworthington

Hello,

I've been a Trainz user since UTC version. I've always thought that Trainz looked a little cartoony, the biggest contributor to that being lack of realistic shadows from sunlight. However it's a fun program, and I've enjoyed all of the additional content one could get from the DLS and make a nice looking route. Big kudos go out to all of those who have contributed content, it's been fun to use. (especially USA content!)

I'm looking at purchasing TS2009 WBE, it looks like a bargain at $29 US. From reading various threads on the forum, a major complaint seems to be that there is a lack of TS2009 content included with the program, is that correct? My biggest concern is this: is there enough TS2009 content included or available to build a basic route? Are there TS2009 items available in the DLS? (I tried to do a search for items but I never seem to find anything specific to TS2009.)

I think my expectation is that the program should be usable without having to use 95% legacy content.

Should I purchase now? Or should I wait until a TS2009-specific content update is released by Auran?

Thanks,
kworthington

If you want to use only 2009 content then hold off - currently there is only 1 included track, 1 included locomotive and it looks like only 1 ground texture (I really can't tell the difference). I recently broke down and purchased 2009 even though I said I wouldn't because I wanted to test some content I have created. At the current time, there really isn't any other reason to upgrade.

If your are looking for some fantastic content for your personal use (not to be distributed) look at Sir Gibbys amazing content http://trainzone.co.nz/ this is where my next purchase is going to be.

Have Fun

Brian

If you want to use only 2009 content then hold off - currently there is only 1 included track, 1 included locomotive and it looks like only 1 ground texture (I really can't tell the difference). I recently broke down and purchased 2009 even though I said I wouldn't because I wanted to test some content I have created. At the current time, there really isn't any other reason to upgrade.

Thanks for the information. I guess with 3 new items, it isn't really worth it without using the legacy content.

Is there a "content included" version forthcoming?

Another benefit to the new version seems to be increased framerates. Can I use the legacy content (i.e. Trainz 2006 content) in TS2009 and still see better framerates? does TS2009 do anything to even slightly improve the look of the TS2006 (and earlier) content?

Thanks,
K

as Martin said, if you don't like how something is named, just go into CMP and rename them.

I've done that with all the content I have in my TRS2006 install.

Thanks for the information. I guess with 3 new items, it isn't really worth it without using the legacy content.

Is there a "content included" version forthcoming?

Another benefit to the new version seems to be increased framerates. Can I use the legacy content (i.e. Trainz 2006 content) in TS2009 and still see better framerates? does TS2009 do anything to even slightly improve the look of the TS2006 (and earlier) content?

Thanks,
K

Yes in native mode but not everything works in native mode. In compatibility mode you get the benefit of better error checking better CM2 and keeping Auran in the business of Train sims, remember Microsoft just bowed out.

Cheerio John

This thread has been an interesting read and i have a few q's of my own before purchasing 2009, but some of the posts makes me think some guys have shares in the company :hehe: Probably not, but there you go, thats the impression given and i think it better not to ask in case i get fubared :eek:

Regards

Barryg

We don't have shares in Auran but what we do have is an appreciation for what they are doing, together with a long association with the Trainz hobby. 2009 may not be 100% perfect at the present but we know from experience that Auran will do their best to correct the problems.

2009WBE had to be released as soon as possible to allow creators to become accustomed to the requirements of the new features, which in turn will allow TRS2009 EE to be released with the new content.

The advice to hold off until EE is released is mistaken, if you don't have WBE then you will not be able to make your own routes or install any new content as EE does not include Surveyor. The two programs will work together so whether you buy WBE now or wait to later, if you want to create your own maps you will need WBE, may as well fork out for it now and get used to the areas where it is vastly better than 2006, install the frequent patches and end up with exactly the same program that you would have to buy later.

A final personal comment. I have been using Trainz since 2001 and I am amazed at the levels it has reached. If we don't support Auran, it is not a big company, we run the risk of reaching the end of the Trainz development and if that happens, what we have then, we will be stuck with. If Auran close, so does the DLS and the Forum and that would be the end of the game.

Peter

I appreciate your words peter but when Auran say 2009 is the culmination of years of.......... (someone correct me i'm wrong but hopefully you get my drift), they build up everyones hopes of a definitive version (my words), and then i read about the various problems. It does make me think that perhaps Auran are still not on top of things.

Instead of a progressive forward motion, we seem to have 2 steps forward, one step back, just one problem is sound. It worked in 2004 but were faulty in 2006, The sounds came back in TC but now the steam sounds (from what i understand from posts), are broken in 2009.

Yes Auran have to make money, but if each release was progressive, inasmuch as that which previously worked, still worked, then perhaps things on these forums might go a little smoother.

I don't think i'll purchase 2009WBE until the EE release has proven itself because to be honest, i waited (or is that waded), through 4 patch's with 2004. Waited a very long time for an almost re-write for 2006, and still got left with the broken sounds.

Despite Auran's glowing PR machine on the 2009 WBE and upcoming EE release, i doesn't really fill me with wonderlust about how the 'final' product will be. Hopefully it will be the one that everyone has been waiting for, but really i'm thinking perhaps i'll hear, 'it'll be fixed in the next version' :eek:

Regards

Barryg

You wrote...
...and then i read about the various problems.
This is the problem, what you read are the comments of the dissatisfied few but you don't see any comments from the many who find TS2009 a step forward from all the previous versions. Perhaps we should flood the forums with praise but that may lead to us being labelled as 'sunshine blowers', an epithet from the introduction of TS2006 when that program garnered more hate and resistance than TS2009 has.

It is a matter of perception, you perceive it to be full of faults because people keep saying it is, I am using it, enjoying it, and know that the original errors are being fixed, and perceive it as mildly flawed but a real step forward. I moved up from TRS2004 and I would not return. As a Beta tester I have the advantage of seeing the later updates that were not in SP1 and it is obvious that Auran are fully committed to fixing all the problems, including the sound.

However it is your choice, now or in the future you will enjoy TRS2009, I am sure of that.

I will agree that 'Culmination' may not have been the best choice but I think it was correct. The long development of Trainz has culminated in 2004. It does not mean that this is the pinnacle after which Trainz can go no further.

Peter

Last edited:
This is the problem, what you read are the comments of the dissatisfied few but you don't see any comments from the many who find TS2009 a step forward from all the previous versions. ......

Peter
It's not that the positive comments aren't read....they are usually ignored. People who are upset about something are much more likely to post something to vent than are those who are satisfied or optimistic. People don't usually speak up unless something goes wrong....

Last edited:
Back