Trains stuck on inclines

harpo14

Hi folks. I'm new to this game and have been working my way through the tutorials. I've gotten to the last two but am stuck. One tutorial is a diesel loco and the other is steam. When I get to a steep incline, no matter what I do the train slows to a crawl, ultimately stopping. I cannot get either to move and then end up going backwards if I can move at all. What am I doing wrong? How do I keep either a steam or diesel loco to have enough momentum to get up the incline? Once stopped how do I think get them to move forward, also on the incline? Any tips much appreciated!

You may need to increase the throttle and put some sand down on the track to give yourself some traction. It's been ages since I drove the tutorials.

As I recall with the steam, you can get started without backing down, but you have to get a real good head of steam up and apply it slowly. I don't recall wheel slip being the issue, they are trying to get you to realize the hill is approaching, so get a good head of steam up to get you up the hill, you need to watch your water levels. Remember though, if you wait too long, adding more coal and water all of a sudden can actually cool things down while it gets the coal burning and the water heating. So run the tutorial a few times, paying attention to all the suggestions they give you as you approach the hill. For the diesel, I think that is the tutorial on dynamic braking, and again, you have to anticipate the hill and not find yourself on it losing speed. I think I had to experiment a bit with that one, to make sure I made good headway, but if I recall, I had to be careful because it is not that far from the top of the hill to the end of the session, and if you have too much momentum going you will blow right past the stop.

Last edited:
I've just tried the diesel one, I got up it okay although I needed full throttle for part of it. I didn't use any sanding but it might not hurt.

One thing to check, as the tutorial is all about it; did you definitely have the dynamic brake off?

Cheers,

PLP

Back