Train shuts toilets to avoid stopping (no kidding!)

There are a few solutions to this problem, namely installing the older toilet systems which simply dumped whatever was put into them on the tracks, and bringing a key with you whenever you take a train anywhere. I have a German universal train key that enables me to open nearly every compartment, toilet, cubbyhole etc on a train, it's very useful for unlocking windows when you want to catch a glimpse of the locomotive.

WileeCoyote:D

A good look at the systems are in order, redesign or beef it up in some way.

As far as dumping it on the tracks, I think that just smells!:hehe:

Lorin

Reminds me of school. "Ok every body flush all of the toilets at once and we get out of school early".
I got to admit something smells fishy about the conductors story.
Hmm... I hope nobody had spicy food before they left.
Kenny

what genius thought that design was a good idea?

Probably the same person who thought it'd be a good idea for the Virgin Pendolinos (IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong) to automatically lock the toilets when they were low on TP or water...what the computer brain didn't know was that it was accidentally locking people in! ;)

Never knew that one on the about the bendowoubles, but wouldn't suprise me. One design floor that I do know all to well about in the virgin bendowoubles and voyagers is in the design layout of the toilet waste system. All that lovely waste you flush down the toilet, gets piped to a tank. The pipes to the tank take it past some lovely hot equipment, which in turn heats said waste. Smell of said hot waste then gets picked up by the air con system and is pumped around the carriage.

Never knew that one on the about the bendowoubles, but wouldn't suprise me. One design floor that I do know all to well about in the virgin bendowoubles and voyagers is in the design layout of the toilet waste system. All that lovely waste you flush down the toilet, gets piped to a tank. The pipes to the tank take it past some lovely hot equipment, which in turn heats said waste. Smell of said hot waste then gets picked up by the air con system and is pumped around the carriage.

Oh no... :eek:

(Cheers from a "fellow Birminghamian" ;) )

Roughly the same thing happens on the trains here in DC, except the tanks leak onto the track rather than get pumped into the A/C. It's rather nasty when the VRE pulls into the station, especially when CSX has the southbound garbage train going through at the same time.

The olfactory sensations are not pleasant at Alexandria Union Station, to say the least.

Oh Dear

Reminds me of a song. When the train is at the Station, Please refrain from
urination,
Have regard for Railway property

better not go on or I'll get banned

it's a sh#tty system though!:)

Funny story about toilets, I was volunteering at the Monticello Railway Museum during a special event last year, and our toilets in those old IC coaches haven't operated in years, till that day. It all stared when a woman HAD to go, she ran in one of the restrooms on the train, took a #2 and flushed it, I walk into the hallway in that coach, and the floor was wet, at the time I did not know what had happened and told the conductor, "Theres water all over the floor in 2920[the coach]" he says" Yeah, I know someone took a dump in there and flushed it" I say,where is it know?' he says " On the tracks somewhere." A day to remember, thats for sure.

Back