Train only runs at half speed

craigdon

I have created the route Test 1 as per the instructions on the Help pages. I have loaded a loco and some wagons and I have added another loco. This second loco is for AI driver when I tell it to drive it goes but I have no other control over it, what has happened.?? It ramps up to 100% and only goes at a maximum of 21MPH ??When I try and control the loco/consist the direction knob is working in reverse what is happening. Please anyone
craigdon

Hi,
Trainz AI will drive a train at 1/2 speed limit if:-
A) there is as signal ahead at amber or red
or
B) there is no signal within a given distance of the consist
or
C) there is a junction not aligned with the set route

a non-exclusive list!

Slange!

Colin

B) there is no signal within a given distance of the consist

I have been recently informed, in these forums, that the "look ahead" distance for the AI is 32km (or 20 miles). That is how far ahead the AI will check the track. So if there is an amber or red signal (or no signal) or a switch set against the route within that distance then it will drop to half the posted line speed. If no line speed has been posted then 40mph will be assumed to be the line speed so it will drop to about 20mph.

It is rare in most railroads to have more than 20 miles between passing loops, junctions, mainline signals, etc. So the trick is to place signals, even invisible signals, at those locations no more than 20 miles apart.

I have been recently informed, in these forums, that the "look ahead" distance for the AI is 32km (or 20 miles). That is how far ahead the AI will check the track. So if there is an amber or red signal (or no signal) or a switch set against the route within that distance then it will drop to half the posted line speed. If no line speed has been posted then 40mph will be assumed to be the line speed so it will drop to about 20mph.

It is rare in most railroads to have more than 20 miles between passing loops, junctions, mainline signals, etc. So the trick is to place signals, even invisible signals, at those locations no more than 20 miles apart.

In addition, there are a few trains that are set to drive at some percentage slower than the speed limit. Very annoying, but I suppose it made sense to the creator. Fortunately, these deliberately cautious locomotives go considerably faster than half speed unless they perceive danger.

Thanks for the info, I will have a go at sorting something out.
@Colin, I reckon it must be B) as I have no signals on this fairly large loop.
@pware, I will be adding various loops, sidings etc as my skills progress so I will keep this in mind.
@rhban, thanks for those comments.
I will continue to update my learning by following the Help Tutorial and Cretion files. Thanks again
craigdon

Back