Tracing images in Gmax

Not sure if you can or exactly what you mean by tracing but at a guess you would have to do it in line mode. I often make complex walls with many windows and doors from lines rather then making a blank wall and cutting window and door openings using boolean transforms (which will cause problems if overly used). It would help if we knew exactly what you are trying to do.

Ben

I normally start by making a plane and texturing it with the image I want to trace in Line mode. Typically the image would be a photograph of an object taken in profile from the X, Y or maybe Z direction.

The plane is initially centered at the XY origin (0,0) when you create it, but that means you can't see the Lines traced against it because they also form at X or Y = 0 (depending on what direction you're placing them) by default. So before I start tracing, I move the plane back slightly (even 0.01m is enough) so the Lines will now be visible in front of the plane.

Another tip, is to make sure (in gmax) that you select 'corner' mode before making the lines - 'bezier' or curved mode is likely to create lots of unwanted vertices in an attempt to give a smooth curved line.

Back