DirectX12 Performance Issues

AFdude06

Hello Trainzers!
I was looking for advice on fixing issues with DX12 in Trainz Plus b123794. I attempted to run the game with DX12, but it either crashed, opened a blank screen, or made it to the main menu (albeit at 10 fps and the menu route wouldn’t load). I can run Fortnite with DX12 and ray-tracing, but Trainz is unplayable.
My specs are:
CPU-Intel i9-9900K
GPU-Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti 12GB
32GB RAM
WD_Black SN770 M.2 1TB SSD
Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Tony

Talking about DX12. In the panel of my NVIDIA RTX 3050 TI, at the right down bottom where it says system information, i open this tab and it also says in there DirectX Runtime 12.0. What does this mean? That i run DX12?

Talking about DX12. In the panel of my NVIDIA RTX 3050 TI, at the right down bottom where it says system information, i open this tab and it also says in there DirectX Runtime 12.0. What does this mean? That i run DX12?
It means that your RTX 3050 TI is using DX12. Many programs still use DX11 and that code is in the DX12 as well so it's backwards compatible, but native support is only for those programs that support DX12 directly.

It means that your RTX 3050 TI is using DX12. Many programs still use DX11 and that code is in the DX12 as well so it's backwards compatible, but native support is only for those programs that support DX12 directly.
Ok however i face no issues at all so actually i suppose from what you are saying that Trainz 22 uses at current time DX11.

That's correct.
Ok John since we start this about DX12 lets close this subject with some suggestions about NVIDIA Panel settings and Trainz 22. a) In NVidia panel, quality or performance is best for Trainz 22? b) Graphic processor is in auto select , 2 more options are available, better to be in auto select? c) Adjust video image settings, what is the super resolution option box in the last tab RTX video enhancement? Better to leave it unticked for Trainz 22 as it is?

Ok John since we start this about DX12 lets close this subject with some suggestions about NVIDIA Panel settings and Trainz 22. a) In NVidia panel, quality or performance is best for Trainz 22? b) Graphic processor is in auto select , 2 more options are available, better to be in auto select? c) Adjust video image settings, what is the super resolution option box in the last tab RTX video enhancement? Better to leave it unticked for Trainz 22 as it is?
I keep most of the settings at default and only change the power mode to performance. After playing around with other settings, I found they actually impacted the performance rather than helped in any way. Sometimes, things are best left alone. ;-)

I keep most of the settings at default and only change the power mode to performance. After playing around with other settings, I found they actually impacted the performance rather than helped in any way. Sometimes, things are best left alone. ;-)
I agree totally with you since the game runs fine as it is. Much appreciated your time and suggestions!

Thanks @JCitron and @SirGreg! The fact that DX12 for Trainz is unusable on the whole is a little disappointing, I did want those basic collision boxes they talked about on the live stream. Oh well. 😁 As far as NVidia control panel, I leave everything at default (quality) and Trainz runs well. I get over 150 fps unless I use heavy assets, i.e. RRMods’ AC4400’s. My cousin built my PC a few years ago and recently gave it to me, and he does want to put a newer CPU in it because I get some bottlenecking on certain routes.

Back