Totally new to TrainZ

koenk

Hello,

After my X-Plane simulator period and buying a new Mac, I wanted to explore train simulation.
And so I came to Trainz and got myself a Trainz Plus membership.
After playing a bit with it I have to say that I like Trainz a lot.
The introductions and lessons how to operate a train are very useful.

But I'm also a bit puzzled.
First of all is there some instruction video of some sort that takes me by the hand and explains the interface of the menu system of Trainz where every step is explained?
I ask this because I see al lot of stuff in the library which is already downloaded or can be downloaded, but some the locomotives or objects don't have download button.
For instance I wanted to download the steam locomotive called 'tornado, green apple'
When I type this in the search field, sometimes I get 2 versions and sometimes one but both can't be downloaded.
I'm also a little puzzled about routes and sessions. Because it's possible to save both of them during playing? Or am I wrong?

I suspect the download options has to do with the membership of some kind, but I don't know how or what and when I can or can't.
And there are also things called tickets. What are these for?
Or is the golden class membership the solution for this?

And is it possible to download routes or locomotives or trains not using the download option in the game itself?\

I know, a lot of questions, sorry for that.

Cheers

Koen

hi hoi Koen , welcome
go slow, explore what the game gives out of the box first
a lot of info in the wiki TrainzOnline (ts2009.com)
there are many vids on youtube also
don't hesitate to ask anything here, but try to be detailed when you ask
have fun with Trainz :)

You could be given 5000 things to know.. here's one or two..

There's plently of great Freeware.
Download from the in game "Content Manager" also known as and referred to "DLS" (Download Station on MyTrainz). Learn how to set "filters" in CM so you can see Routes only, Loco's only, etc. Sort by upload date for newest. Build Version is important for compatibility reasons. For example, a Tane (Trainz a New Era, an older version of game) routes MAY work in TRS19 but TRS19 routes will not work in Tane. Here's a list of build numbers as relates to the apps. https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"trainz-build"_number

There's some great Payware (DLC, or Download Content). See the in game Store. Anything you are entitled to or have purchased will show under "Purchased" filer (icon at top right of store page.)

Summary: Source of new content will be CM (Freeware), Content Store (DLS), or 3rd party sites (freeware and payware, download cdp files and drop the CDP files onto CM window to install.)

The functions of "Saved Routes" vs "Saved Sessions" vs "Saved Games" was "recently changed" and many people are having issue understanding just what is happening. Adding to the problem is that many "saved games" do not work properly when re-loaded. There are many, many, many, threads on this issue in the forums. Also see the WIKI page about "UDS" (Unified Driver/Surveyor).

This is merely my personal view but I think all new Trainzer's could benefit from buying Tane (only $7.00) just to learn the "old" concept of "Route" "Session" and "Saved Game" (Saved session). In TRS19 or 22 it "clear as mud." Owning Tane also has the benefits of this: Many Tane routes don't work properly in TRS19 and I recommend running Tane routes in Tane itself. (Not TRS19) There are some great routes and assets, see 3rd party routes also - jointedrail.com for example, just one of many. So for $7 (cost of Tane) you get a more straight forward version of the game for learning plus the proper engine for some great routes. After you know what you are doing in Tane then venture to TRS19 and Unifed Driver/Serveyor.

Again, that's my view only. Others will likely disagree. I just think jumping in to TRS19 with UDS is very confusing for the new user and they will also be dissappointed when that Tane route they bought doesn't run properly in '19.

Here's a wiki page on UDS - It "explains" Routes, Sessions, Saves in '19 with UDS.
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_the_UDS_Interface

The benefit of UDS varies depending whether you are primarily 1.) running sessions, 2.) creating sessions, or 3.) creating Routes. It is most beneficial for Route creators. Not so much for those who just want to run sessions and drive trains.
Welcome.... Above all... enjoy!

Last edited:
Hoi, and Hi,

Thanks for the answer. Maybe I have to calm down. :D
Was a bit enthusiastic. I'll try to slow down.

Good to see there is a dutch community on Trainz. (was hoping for that)
I found a lot of videos on Youtube, but mostly they where explanations about the routes, but not much about how routes and it's sessions or how to find and download extra data.

To ask one thing at the time ;)
When I see an image of a locomotive or route in the Trainz application (with the orange marking around it) but without a download button does that mean that I need a different or additional membership to get access to that data?

Koen

Welcome Koenk, I highly recommend you work through the tutorials. They start with simple go and stop and work up to complex control of steam engines. In between you have signals, braking, and a lot more! Most of all, Enjoy!

Back