To Mount Lowe with Love

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
https://youtu.be/r2yGDEp6zPg

History about the Mt. Lowe railroad and hotel operations with some live footage of the funicular railroad and trolley cars.

It's all gone now of course, but must've been quite an operation to see when it existed.

https://youtu.be/r2yGDEp6zPg

History about the Mt. Lowe railroad and hotel operations with some live footage of the funicular railroad and trolley cars.

It's all gone now of course, but must've been quite an operation to see when it existed.

I live quite near Mount Lowe in Los Angeles, and I hiked the route quite a few years ago now. There were plenty of bits and pieces from the old railway. But since then almost all traces of it have disappeared due to rain and Mother Nature.

Going round the Circular Bridge must have been quite something! I have several books on the railway, it is quite fascinating. Professor Lowe was quite a character.

The Mount Wilson Observatory is nearby, it's an interesting part of the world. When people come to visit LA all they see is Hollywood Boulevard and Venice Beach, and they are disappointed. It takes years to discover the really interesting things that exist here.

Mick

Last edited:
I live quite near Mount Lowe in Los Angeles, and I hiked the route quite a few years ago now. There were plenty of bits and pieces from the old railway. But since then almost all traces of it have disappeared due to rain and Mother Nature.

Going round the Circular Bridge must have been quite something! I have several books on the railway, it is quite fascinating. Professor Lowe was quite a character.

The Mount Wilson Observatory is nearby, it's an interesting part of the world. When people come to visit LA all they see is Hollywood Boulevard and Venice Beach, and they are disappointed. It takes years to discover the really interesting things that exist here.

Mick

That trip must've been "cool", which is an underestimate! The whole infrastructure too was amazing.

I agree. People visiting an area go for the most popular places and don't realize there are other more interesting places there as well.

Back