Timetable Challenge - the route and schedule

segy

Hi all

Here is the schematic for the route of the challenge:

SOUTH-WEST......................................................................................NORTH
TM--TM--TM--TM--TM--TM--TM-\
............................\
------Portal.Basic-----------\....................................../---TM--TM--TM--TM--TM--TM--TM---
..............................\.........../--Platform2--\........../
------Portal-------------------\---\-/---/---------------\......../-----Portal.Basic-----------------
....................................X....................\....../
------Portal-------------------/---/-\---\----Platform.1---\----/-------Portal-----------------------
............................../...........\
------Portal.Basic-----------/.............\-------------------\
............................/........... ...\-Multiple.Industry-\---
TM--TM--TM--TM--TM--TM--TM-/
SOUTH EAST

--TM--TR--TM--TR--TM--TR--------- Separate timing track ----TM--TR--TM--TR--TM--TR-------------

Please read . (periods) as spaces - the forum wont allow me to put in leading spaces

Here is the schedule:

Train1: From: south west, 8:01 arrive platform 1, 8:03 depart north
Train2: From north, 8:01 arrive platform 2, 8:02 depart south west
Train3: From south east, 8:01-8:02 through fast to north
Train4: From south east, 8:06 arrive platform2, 8:07 depart north
Train5: From south east, 8:08 arrive industry, load, run around train, wait until Train8 departed, depart south west
Train6: From south west, 8:09 arrive platform1, loco runs around train, depart to south west as soon as possible after 8:14 provided departure would not delay other train movements
Train7: Fast south east to north due through 8:11, may be up to 5 minutes late, top priority, no other train movements to impede progress
Train8: From north, 8:13 arrive platform 2 (may be up to 2 minutes late), Train7 must already have passed, wait for at least 2 minutes, depart to south west provided no other train movements are delayed
Train9: From north, 8:16 arrival platform 1 (switch to platform 2 if platform 1 not available). Arrival delayed until at least one platform is available. 8:18 depart south west

This schedule is quite complex to implement as there is contention for arrival and departure paths, paths through the diamond crossing and fast line, platforms and allotted time slots.

Major logic that needs to be timetabled includes:
  • Is there enough time before the express passes to run round the train?
  • Is there a platform free and if so which one?
  • Is the required path free yet with at least 2 minute separation?
  • Which train should depart first when there is contention for paths?
October 5, 17.00hrs - the route has been uploaded and is now available for downloading.

Segy

Last edited:
Segy, the diagram is a bit hard to understand & I'm not really following what you're trying to say. Any chance of uploading the diagram as a small picture instead? The diagram as it now doesn't actually show if it is single, or multiple track, or if the track forms sidings/passing loops.

Hi Red

I agree. The finished route is almost ready for uploading however so would respectfully request waiting for that. If you copy the schematic of the route to Notepad and substitute space for the dots you get a better idea. The dashes are single tracks.

Thanks for your feedback and I hope you will have a go at the challenge.

Cheers
Segy

Hi all

Train6: From south west, 8:09 arrive platform1, loco runs around train, depart to south west as soon as possible after 8:14 provided no other train movements are delayed

Just to clarify, does this mean either
1) No previous train movements have been delayed
or
2) No following train movements will be delayed by this one

Thanks

Hi Red

I agree. The finished route is almost ready for uploading however so would respectfully request waiting for that.
I should also make it a bit clearer, that I didn't mean posting a picture &/or diagram of the layout, just using straight lines representing what you trying to achieve.

If you copy the schematic of the route to Notepad and substitute space for the dots you get a better idea.
Done that, still can't get work out the diagram.

Segy, here is a clickable picture of what I mean:

Last edited:
Just to clarify, does this mean either
1) No previous train movements have been delayed
or
2) No following train movements will be delayed by this one

Thanks

Hi David,

Now you mention it I can see this can be read in two different ways and I will amend the post - thanks.

the layout has been uploaded and is now available for downloading

Cheers
Segy

Last edited:
Hi David,

Now you mention it I can see this can be read in two different ways and I will amend the post - thanks.

the layout has been uploaded and is now available for downloading

Cheers
Segy

I see from the DLS its states trs2006 with SP1
not every one has or can have this SP-1 so those people like me can not use this route as it will not show up ( NO MAP LOADED ) error

I will see if I can get it into TC then I can make it with 06 without the SP and e-mail it to anyone who has problems !!

I have 06+sp1 but download is not possible

Yes Ive tried it with 06 and TC
in cmp its not visible
in the DLS from this web site it showes up as the second item in Layouts
but will not DL ( unknown Location )

so we have to wait for next week until Auran can sort it out :'( :hehe: :wave:

I've also got problems. I have TRS2006 with SP1 installed.
1) CMP does not find the route at all.
2) I find it OK from the DLS website, but when click on "Download with helper", CMP opens up with the name (sometimes) or the kuid number. It has a size shown, so CMP knows about it, but it has "Unknown location" - the big questionmark.
3) When I go through the "Add to Download Cart", it shows up there with message "Content is Invalid" - which explains why I can't download it.
But others can, as there were 11 previous downloads when I first tried, then 27 and now 35 others have downloaded it...

I know what I want to do, but can't make a start without the route to add a session to!!!

Thank's Segy for cmpa.

Why the platforms P1 and P2 aren't industry active stations.For me it will be more suitable.

I'm sorry, once again.

For presentation it would be better to have much stations, two or three.

portalsN----station1(p1,P2)----station2(P1,P2)----station3(P1,P2)----portalsS

So I got the route and it runs OK
so I can now make a copy for 2006 without the SP-1 for anyone who whants it

Problems at moment with TC copy
56 missing items

So I got the route and it runs OK
so I can now make a copy for 2006 without the SP-1 for anyone who whants it

Problems at moment with TC copy
56 missing items

Thanks for doing this. The route is made entirely with built in items for TRS2006. Is it true then that so much TRS2006 built in content has not been carried forward into TC? Can it be transferred?

Furthermore are rules available in TC that might be usable in the challenge?

Segy

Thanks for doing this. The route is made entirely with built in items for TRS2006. Is it true then that so much TRS2006 built in content has not been carried forward into TC? Can it be transferred?

Furthermore are rules available in TC that might be usable in the challenge?

Segy

The main problem with assets and TC from 06 is the scripting
and that TC checks for errors more that 06
some items can be corrected but if its textures that are making the problem then no because you need the textures from the original

a lot of 06 items that are built in start with -1:xxxxxx these items will not DL into 06, if you are only going to use them for yourself then just transfer the .jar files from 06 into TC but then I dont know if they will transfer back to the DLS in the routes/sessions you make

Its a real can of worms

What is SP-1?

Dap

OK
the original issue of 06 had some errors and there was a service pack issued to correct them, but the pack was not produced for all versions and some versions require different packs

Later issues of 06 came with the service pack built in so you dont need to do anything.

pre service pack version is 2.5 post service pack is version 2.6

any route/session made with 2.6 will give problems and most times will not run in 2.5 without some fine tuning, it will DL and you will see it in the program (Serveyor/Driver) but if you try to open it you get (NO MAP LOADED)

when you start 06 on the bottom right you will see the version No if you have 2.6 you already have the service pack installed if its 2.5 then you need to get the service pack (its free) but you have to uninstall 06 completly, then reinstal and then install the service pack before you open 06 again, there are plenty of posts here with instructions, but be sure you follow them to the letter otherwise you will have problems and have to start again

good luck

So I have a question
have just spent a couple of hours with this

now then
is the route layout realy up to this kind of working ( single track)
I would have thought that it would have been double track at least
at the end of the single tracks you have stuck 2 portals and a section of track with markers ( for what reason the markers ) that are too close togeather to serve any purpose ????

the signaling on the track is not good, and needs to be changed, it will not work like this !!!!

what are the 2 tracks with the 3rd snake track and all the triggers for down the side of the layout §§§§§

Last edited:
Hi Kelly88

"is the route layout really up to this kind of working ( single track)"

Is it up to it? - yes - I have it working to the published schedule using 2 different methods.
Is it realistic? - no way - it's just an intensive exercise to discover whether it's possible for Trainz to handle certain scheduling problems.

"2 portals and a section of track with markers ( for what reason the markers ) that are too close together to serve any purpose"

The portals are there to accommodate, if possible, various methods of sourcing/removing trains. Whether these are sufficient for every implementation method I do not know but from the brief descriptions others have posted about how they go about scheduling I put in what I thought might be required and hoped for feedback like yours to confirm their usefulness or not.
The trackmarks close together are part of my implementation method using unportals - each trackmark sources a different train at a specific moment caused by an CPC:emit train on trigger rule. I have used this method to implement the 100 trains scenario for the Crewe route.

"the signaling on the track is not good, and needs to be changed, it will not work like this" The siganalling may not suit every implementation. Again, I do not know and am grateful for your feedback. It's just my design of how it would probably be in a 'route setting' situation and in fact it works fine for the 2 implementations I have created so far.
However if you would like this changed please make your own changes and upload under a related name e.g. Timetable Chall v2 or some such.
I will be uploading a slightly modified version of the route as I have since discovered that the track at the industry is not quite long enough for the run around to work using Trainz AI. If you can list the precise changes you need I could incorporate them.

Segy

Last edited:
Back