time out!!!!!!!

AB80135

FORMER SHUNTER
anyone got any ideas on this one:
have been running trainz09 on xp no problem but recently decided to spend a few quid and build a new pc so i did ,i also bought trainz10 to go with it to use the 64 bit version and the xtra memory,all 8gb,the problem is both 2009 and 2010 only work for 5mins and 35 secs exactly,i know this cos i have timed it 5 times and its always the same:any bright ideas.

pc specs:
windows 7 64 bit
quad core cpu
8gb ram
nvidea gforce 8800gt graphics card

Try running another high end game for a while and see what happens. What PSU do you have?
Is there warm air blowing out from the back or top fans?
Check the temperature of your video card, look for dust buildup on it.

You put heat sink compound between the cpu and the fan base didn't you. I agree with tom above.
Apart from a new cpu and some ram, all else the same or is it new from scratch.

everything brand new,got more fans than liverpool....lol,this is the third p.c i have built,all important little jobs done,just been thinking maybe should have bought bigger graphics card?

everything brand new,got more fans than liverpool....lol,this is the third p.c i have built,all important little jobs done,just been thinking maybe should have bought bigger graphics card?

I was thinking the card was a bit old but that's not what's causing the shut downs, what size/watts psu did you put in ?

It does sound like a thermal problem. Check that video card fan is still working, as mentioned try several taxing games, if still does it then either graphics card or CPU heatsink/fan and/or thermal paste. Also, setting the graphics card fan to 60-70 percent will often help keep the graphics chip cool enough. If all this is fine, then possibly a power supply problem. But most likely a heat issue. Also do a blow-out of built-up dust if there's any.

Back