Time for a new computer

boc61

I've decided to have a new PC built after the Holidays and would like opinions from the geeks out there. My current machine is 4 years old, still runs fine, but 4 years is a long time tech wise.
The current machine:
i5 2500 3.3GHZ on an Intel DZ68DB motherboard
GTX 680 2GB GPU
16GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
128GB Crucial M4 SSD System Drive
256GB Crucial M4 SSD for Trainz
850W Corsair Gold PSU

I do not wish to rebuild this machine, this will be a total ground up new build. My present machine was done by Maingear and they will be doing this one. Trainz is the main use for the machine as well as a few other games. I am giving myself a budget of $3000 to start. Right now I am looking at the"Vybe"
https://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops/vybe/index.php

I'll take each component one at a time.

First off is the processor. I am looking at either the H110, Z170, or X99 configurations, the first 2 being a 4 core processor the 2nd, 6 cores. Is a 6 core necessary or just overkill?

Last edited:
I'm sure a new present desktop PC could be built for a fraction of that

Your present PC could be rebuilt with better innards

It is amazing what PC's are thrown out every year, when they could run 04, 06, 09, 01, 12 perfectly well

I'll be right over to pick up your PC, if you really want to get rid of it

Last edited:
I didn't say I was getting rid of my current PC. I'm giving it to my wife.

If I clean it up REAL nice I might get away with calling it an Anniversary gift next month.

Build your own.

http://easypcbuilder.com/

I plan on doing this after the first of the year and using the money I save to buy several bottles of single malt scotch.

Regards,

If its for TANE then start with a GTX 980 or faster. The CPU is irrelevant well almost, my machine is probably six years old now but runs TANE fine with its new GTX 980.

Tomshardware have recommendations for CPUs and comparison charts. Personally I'd go i7 but that's just me and I wouldn't bother with the faster clock speeds. Currently TANE probably uses a couple of cores in driver so a quad core should do fine. By the way the numbers you quote are not the CPU but the supporting chipset.

Cheerio John

The GTX 980 is definitely in my wheelhouse, maybe even the 980Ti.

We'll go with the i7 6700. Overclocking. Should I bother?

I've decided to have a new PC built after the Holidays and would like opinions from the geeks out there. My current machine is 4 years old, still runs fine, but 4 years is a long time tech wise.
The current machine:
i5 2500 3.3GHZ on an Intel DZ68DB motherboard
GTX 680 2GB GPU
16GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
128GB Crucial M4 SSD System Drive
256GB Crucial M4 SSD for Trainz
850W Corsair Gold PSU

I do not wish to rebuild this machine, this will be a total ground up new build. My present machine was done by Maingear and they will be doing this one. Trainz is the main use for the machine as well as a few other games. I am giving myself a budget of $3000 to start. Right now I am looking at the"Vybe"
https://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops/vybe/index.php

I'll take each component one at a time.

First off is the processor. I am looking at either the H110, Z170, or X99 configurations, the first 2 being a 4 core processor the 2nd, 6 cores. Is a 6 core necessary or just overkill?

My desktop CPU is from 2009...

and still rocks. I would suggest you either upgrade to i7 on that Motherboard, or replace the CPU/MoBo/RAM with updated stuff. The GPU should be fine. SSD is fine. If running T:ANE, 16GB seems enough, I'd think. Don't go overboard on upgrades.

Mine is:
Intel Core i7 975 Extreme CPU (central processing unit)
Asus P6t MoBo (motherboard)
Patriot 24 GB RAM (random access memory)
RAID0 boot comprised of two Corsair Force 3s, total size is 120 GB partition SSDs (solid state drives)
Dedicated PCIe riser with Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB SSD for games including T:ANE (solid state drive)
Sound Blaster Titanium from Creative Labs SPU (sound processing unit)
Cooler Master 1200W Gold series PSU (power supply unit)
EVGA GTX 980 GPU (graphics processing unit)

The issue with this Mb is that it limits upgrades. It only can take DDR3 1333Mhz RAM for example, I don't think it can take much of a video card or processor upgrade either. Plus it's got some USB 2.0 ports, I would prefer all 3.0. . If I do go the rebuild this machine route the only things I would keep are the case and possibly the PSU, which is a Seasonic 850W, not a Corsair as I first noted.

3 Grand buys you a LOT of computing power these days! Go ahead and build a T:ANE-killer machine based on the i7-6700k (don't really need to overclock it, though) with lots of DDR4 RAM and a hefty GPU like the GTX-980Ti.
Make sure you have a couple of decent SSDs for the boot drive and games drives plus a large, high resolution IPS monitor to enjoy your gaming experience.
Pure bliss will be yours this holiday season! :)

That's about how I see it. I have the money so I might as well go for it. I'm at the point in my life where I can indulge myself somewhat. I'm thinking of going with the regular 6700. I don't plan on overclocking and from what I can see otherwise, there is not a big gain in getting the K model and it uses considerably more power. Also I'm leaning towards the standard air cooling since I am not overclocking. I'm definitely going with the 980ti GPU.

RAM is the next question. Kingston Hyper X is what's available for this system, in either 2666 or 3000 speeds. From what I am reading, there is not a big difference in the 2 performance wise. Also, is there any good reason to go above 16MB?

Last edited:
Wow! I've been doing some researching and have come across several geek forums. On one, someone talked about doing pretty much what I am doing, having a machine built for them by a custom builder, they are not interested in doing it themselves, they are fine with paying more to have it done, etc and some of the responses are mind boggling. Insults, attacks on the person's intelligence, bitter comments about wasting one's money and the like. The person specifically said in the beginning that self building was not an option so don't even bring it up and all they want is advice on configurations. Unbelieveable.

then agani, maybe not so unbelievable when you see the garbage that gets posted over YouTube videos. Makes me glad I don't "hang out" much on the internet.

Yeah, there's a lot of unnecessary 'Aggro' out there. We sometimes see glimpses of it here. Very disappointing.

Wonderful that you're in the fortunate position to be able to assemble a powerful gaming machine to indulge your hobby.
So rejoice and make the most of it - and remember the Wise Words of Plautus; 'Nil bastardo carborundum!' (Don't let the B's grind you!)

Regarding DDR4 DRAM - Don't think you'd be able to detect the difference in performance between RAM operations at 2666Mhz vs 3000Mhz. Sure, it's measurable, but only just!
Often a big difference in price, though...

Last edited:
Back