There has to be an easier method of grading a route created with TransDem

There are many problems with using Google Earths rulers and paths to measure track distances - the most obvious being the use of straight line path segments to measure the distance around a curved track. There have been threads in these forums on the issues of measuring distances across 2D maps and aerial photos that represent the surface of a 3D spheroid.

The best method I have come across for placing mile or kilometre markers along a track is to create a consist that is exactly 1 mile or 1 kilometre long and use that as your yard stick.

There are many problems with using Google Earths rulers and paths to measure track distances - the most obvious being the use of straight line path segments to measure the distance around a curved track. There have been threads in these forums on the issues of measuring distances across 2D maps and aerial photos that represent the surface of a 3D spheroid.

The best method I have come across for placing mile or kilometre markers along a track is to create a consist that is exactly 1 mile or 1 kilometre long and use that as your yard stick.
My method of placing Path lines in Google Earth seems to have worked quite well. These are not straight lines, as they contain many 'spline' points. I used these to create track splines for my TransDem created route. I am able to check the accuracy using known trackside objects such as HBD-DED and CP signals (listed in the ETT with distance). Of course some of those have changed over the years, but others have not. I doubt that GE path lines take elevation change into consideration, but with normal mainline grade being not more than 1%, the inaccuracy isn't too bad.

Once I get the route graded and all junctions working properly, I will build a consist of exactly 1 mile.

Back