The railroad yard: track laying, a daunting task.

JonMyrlennBailey

In all of choo-choodom, the yard seems to be the most troublesome to get geometrically perfect. I've even heard of templates for precise placement of spline points.

Yesterday, I improved the small yard of my grandest model train Trainz layout to date. I spent about eight hours. The original ladder tracks were a series of s-curves that looked junky. I converted this to straight ladders which most American railroads seem to employ. I didn't have a template so I had to use my Surveyor ruler and the wireframe grids as references. I used the BN speeder as a test vehicle. It took a lot of trial, error and adjustments. I had to use spline points to pin down the track where junctions were placed along the ladder to keep the ladder track from bending. I had to use the track straightening tool strategically. If the track is bent ever so slightly, so as not to even be detectable to the human eye, near the junction the train will still yaw abruptly as it passes the switch. Using the test speeder allowed me to see if the ladder could be negotiated smoothly. Small vehicles (powered units, as opposed to train locomotives) like the MOW truck or speeder give a good cab view to the track to help spot flaws easily. Of course, you want to use long locomotives and railcars to check for loading gauge clearances in tight places. Will a 65-foot-long engine negotiate a 70-meter curve?

My yard does not have dedicated lead tracks for drilling operations. The main line must be used for this operation and holds up mainline traffic in the process. There is a ladder at each opposing end of the yard which connects directly to the main line. The mainline runs smack along side the yard and is in a 25 mph zone. 10 mph is yard speed limit. I always keep one of my yard sidings clear of parked rolling stock and use this as a runaround to avoid using the main line for this purpose. The smartest railroad architects are yard designers, I think.

There is no special departure/arrival tracks also. Again, there is the main line or one of the long yard sidings near the mainline for this purpose. There are mainline crossovers at either end of this yard so mainline traffic can access the yard from either track of the two-track mainline system.

I finally got my cute little yard right and it looks nice. I planted a few shade trees inside the yard where there was some spare space too so as to give the railroad a more civilized, cultured, image. Railroads aren't all diesel smoke and iron, you know. Even American military installations have neatly manicured green lawns and hedges so outside people visiting don't get the impression that the service is nothing but blood and guts. There is no greasy, junky-looking stuff lying around my yard. It looks neat and fit for a military-style white glove inspection.

It is a very small yard in a rural layout setting. It has only five parallel tracks in the body for a total of only about 6,700 feet of combined rolling stock capacity. In other words, this little yard only holds up to about a mile and a quarter of broken-up train. The yard also has a couple of extra sidings to park several cabooses and the Big Boy engine. There is also a large round house in the corner of the yard that holds about 30 engines or so. My yard also has locomotive service facilities as diesel fuel pumps, diesel storage tanks, coaling tower, sanding tower and water tank.

Last edited:
Don't underestimate junky track in yards:

ZlQD27s.jpg

Are American railroads this groty looking usually? The five-mile-long yard in Roseville, California looks much nicer than this as I used to live by it and train-watch there regularly. The mainline ran smack thru the middle of this yard and trains would creep thru grandma speed. Roseville is America's railroad hub for the west.

Are American railroads this groty looking usually? The five-mile-long yard in Roseville, California looks much nicer than this as I used to live by it and train-watch there regularly. The mainline ran smack thru the middle of this yard and trains would creep thru grandma speed. Roseville is America's railroad hub for the west.

This is the famous East Deerfield MA yard, which used to be the pride and joy yard of the Boston and Maine until David Fink and son took over as part of their Guilford Transportation Industries in 1982. Guilford ran things into the ground then changed their name to Pan Am Railways who as continued the practice today.

East Deerfield once had electric switches and sits on the crisscross of two mainlines - the north-south Connecticut River Line and the East West Boston to Rotterdam, Jct. NY - the mainline which runs through the Hoosac Tunnel. In its heyday, the mainline was 45 mph or better for freights except for the tunnel area, and 60 mph for passenger. Today the freights see 20 mph at best west of Deerfield, and there's no passenger service. The speed didn't rise to 20 mph until Norfolk Southern invested a large sum through their partnership with PAR called the Pan Am Southern. The north-south line once ran to Berlin, NH, where it interchanged with the Grand Trunk, but that track came up shortly after GTI took over in the 1980s along with the Maine Central Mountain Division, and the famous track under the Starrucca Viaduct in Pennsyvania on the former D&H. Yup a great company.

I've seen yards like the one you mentioned. They are neat, clean, and safe looking. I have one of Lawrence, MA somewhere which would make your toes curl. There were, and probably still are, standing derailments where freight cars topple over as the track collapses under their weight. Great stuff huh!

Allot of old yards had plenty of derailments, sun kinks, shifting from decades of freeze and thaw, slipshod MOW repairs, sinking and tilting tracks in mud, and 2 bit trackage ... Some just do enough maintenance to get a train through, and make as much money as possible in the shortest amount of time, living life for the short haul, not knowing how long the RR Company will exist before abandonment or bankruptcy

Last edited:
When I was laying out a yard in Trainz, I used google earth and a protractor on real yards I could think of and I came to the conclusion that the angle was about 10 degrees for the junctions. Using a protractor in Trainz, it worked out to be something roughly like 1:8 squares, so I tried to make the ladder on that basis. IT came out looking pretty good.

Hopefully there will be a train renaissance in America someday soon. Hopefully the industry will one day shine.

:D I do too, but one thing, or Things I know for a fact, is the Corp Mindset, Profit and more Profit at the cost of maintenance, jobs etc, and the other is they want simple routes, such as intermodal from one coast to another, and don't care too be bothered with small shunting routes, etc, Intermodal was thought to be the best Golden Egg, that is not necessarily so when figure that multiple streams of income is better than one major stream in lean times. ( This is not inclusive of all Railroads) but I would think you know which ones I'm referring too?

:( Add to that, Coal has been villianized as a major polluter, hence, less coal is mined, and Coal Power Plants have been shut down, that is big loss of revenue,,due to the Green Movement for Clean Energy conversion at any cost.......We don't build as many houses as we use too? There is a severe housing shortage in parts of USA, but again the mindset, or Greed if you will, Want to push it, the Larger Homes, are worth it, anything else, just isn't, again I have spoken to home builders in the past in my area and this has been confirmed......

We also need more Railroad Connections to Canada and Mexico, which would facilitate lots of Carload Trades..........

I spoke to different level RR managers over time, and it was noted, they didn't care to run these little Branches like in the old days, just long trains from one end to another in USA......

:( And one Railroad I came across, has a site on the Web, where Employees talk about lack of proper Training and pressure to do more with less, and loss of jobs if you don't tow the Company line to the limit your fired.........Pretty sad if you ask me............Your foot soldiers in the field is what keeps you afloat, and this was duly noted by these depressed, and overworked employees.......Says a lot about what goes on........And not only in the Railroads..........

So you have to ask yourself, and does this work for us, with increased Population and needs of goods and services........

:eek: And finally you have to add Red TAPE, environmental issues that drive businesses insane with paperwork, and idiotic things that make bureaucratic nightmares for large Projects, too the point some Businesses with put down their heads in disgust, and we simply don't have the time nor means to make this work for us........

Try building something in your area and see what you go thru to get it approved....We simply red tape ourselves to death with Paper Work, and some pretty stupid regulations........

Sorry for my Rant, I have come across many in the Railroad and other fields of Transportation, and have gotten an ear load of the problems they face and the mindset of today........

I'm others will have different points of View here..........

Hopefully there will be a train renaissance in America someday soon. Hopefully the industry will one day shine.
Really ? ... Are you dreaming ?

The railroads have always been a cut-throat, money making business ... They are not in the business of looking pretty, and running fun looking trains, for railfans

Back