Driving On The Right?

boleyd

By rule does Trainz try to keep trains on the righthand track in a double track area?
I have a train that leaves a yard and takes the left track of a double. There is an X Crossover but it ignores it. Is there an instruction to direct a train to the right?
Perhaps either a clarification of the rule or a reference to an explanation.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did not know about that one. I need another PC with AI to analyze Trainz conditional info and tell me what to do. Note: not trying to replace you..
THANKS

By default, the AI driver will take the shortest distance between points. If it so happens to be that the lefthand track creates the shorter path, the AI will take that track instead.

My less than complicated work around has been to either put in a direction marker to prevent the AI from taking the wrong track and doing the slalom thing and run back and forth between lines, or to use track marks place before and or after a crossover to ensure the AI drives or navigates via those track marks.

Normally at the beginning of a doubled track section, directional markers will need to be placed, this would tell the AI trains to drive via 'UP' or 'DOWN' main respectively.
DO not place direction markers on loop lines, loops are generally bidirectional unless otherwise specified as 'UP' or 'DOWN' loop. Sidings the direction marker must be placed at the end of the siding near the buffer in the opposite direction leading back to the main line/loop

You can also use the red track markers, just place it at the start of the loop 'both ends, preferred' giving each end a meaningful name. And use the drive via command, the red track markers can also used on double track sections instead of the directional markers, again give the track marker a meaningful name but do take note that AI tracks will approach the track marker slowly, to trick the AI train not to slow down. In the track markers properties, change the distances default from 20 meters to 0.01 meters ;)

Hopefully this all makes sense, and useful :)

If you place track marks on the passing sidings (loop lines), also place one or two in the middle depending upon the length of the passing track. The reason is AI will hit the one closes to the first end, back up continue down the incorrect track and then backup to hit the one at the other end! I witnessed this with a Wye I had on a route! With the track marks placed in the middle and directing the AI to travel via those track marks, this forces the AI to go beyond the point where backing up is no longer an option and they will continue to travel along the correct track until they reach the track mark at the end.

If you place track marks on the passing sidings (loop lines), also place one or two in the middle depending upon the length of the passing track. The reason is AI will hit the one closes to the first end, back up continue down the incorrect track and then backup to hit the one at the other end! I witnessed this with a Wye I had on a route! With the track marks placed in the middle and directing the AI to travel via those track marks, this forces the AI to go beyond the point where backing up is no longer an option and they will continue to travel along the correct track until they reach the track mark at the end.
Interesting! Thanks mate :D I never knew that.. ;)

Interesting! Thanks mate :D I never knew that.. ;)
You're welcome!

It turned out to be something I found out the hard way. I had a Wye off of a mainline. The AI drivers were supposed to go straight through and not take any of the legs at all. Instead of going straight, they would hit the track mark before the Wye, take a leg, turn around, and then hit the other leg on the way as they were now running backwards! By putting a mark in the middle, this forced them to take the mainline and not do the stupid dance which always ended up being a knot as other AI drivers got stuck behind the one that did the fancy move on the Wye.

A similar thing occurs with yards. The AI seeking the shortest distance between two points will aways end up taking the slowest track as luck usually goes. Instead of staying on the mainline, they'll crawl through the 2 kph bumpy yard track instead and usually get stuck as they flip junctions along the way. By setting up an entry, middle and exit track markers on the mainline, this prevents that from happening by forcing the AI drivers to take the proper tracks.

As you gain experience, you'll begin to literally smell what the AI are going to do and set up your track marks and sometime signaling to herd them in the right direction.

Back