The Present Day Keddie Wye

torino72

For anyone with current knowledge of operations over the Keddie Wye, I have a couple of questions:

1. The wye was built with three legs, two of which are over the trestles and the 3d was through a tunnel connecting the Reno (EB) leg to the Biebler/Klamath Falls (NB) leg. Is his 3d leg still in service? I've never seen any discussion or photos of trains operating over this leg.

2. I know this Feather River Route's train density has declined with the UP double stacks now traveling the Donner Pass route. Does anyone have any recent info of the number and types of trains operating daily between Reno-Klamath Falls, Sacramento-Reno, and/or Klamath Falls-Sacramento? Does the BNSF still routinely use this route for through traffic?

If the tunnel leg isn't tall enough for double stacks they might no longer be using it.

Ben

Last edited:
I know there's at least 3-4 trains each way run by BNSF Over the old inside gateway, but other than that I'm not sure.

Fortunately in Trainz ... Double stacks can go through low clearance tunnels, and not scrape ... and the old tunnels were great ... and in Trainz, if you don't like them you can replace them with higher tunnels, or daylight the hillsides.

If I were creating a Horseshoe Curve route ... I would put in all 4 tracks ... and anyone who wants present day, can strip it of 2 of the 4 tracks (which is a crying shame, as RR's are destroying their past trackage).

I hear that there is a small motel B&B right below the Kedie Wye, which is a fantastic vacation site

The tunnel leg of the Keddie Wye is in service, but is only used for MoW movements and the occasional need to turn equipment. It is the only place that UP can turn around equipment between Oroville and Portola *(the museum's balloon track is off-limits for normal UP ops).

Back