The Frisco High Line

dricketts: You have one nice looking RR..Your attention to the details is really good..GREAT JOB..:wave: :wave:

A local St. Clair County farmer waits to meet his neighbor for help at the end of the fence row. He just can't keep his new John Deere tractor running early this morning.

VPiJF.jpg

h6MLC.jpg

7OVja.jpg

Aj5V5.jpg

gjoAz.jpg

Love the choice of ground textures, they all have the same 'tone' (if that's the right term) so they look like they belong together, and the seamless way you've blended them. Interesting use for a corrugated iron fence too!

The tractor could perhaps do with a ground shadow?

Love the choice of ground textures, they all have the same 'tone' (if that's the right term) so they look like they belong together, and the seamless way you've blended them. Interesting use for a corrugated iron fence too!

The tractor could perhaps do with a ground shadow?

I knew I'd forget something. I agree and the thought crossed my mind for a second and then I completely forgot.

Great stuff dricketts! I've been following this thread for awhile and find your sense of realism quite refreshing. Keep going! As far as the shadow thing goes...yeah...I like having shadows on models, but if you can't, its not a deal breaker.

Cheers,
Fred

Last edited:
I disagree, Master.:wave: Does he not then have to add a shadow to every cow and fence and tree? I vote for consistency over accuracy! Make it a overcast day and shadows be damned!:D

The only things you can add shadows to are bridges/tunnels, which are the same thing just built different and rolling stock. So you can't add a shadow to the tractor unless it's built as a train. The only other way would be to put a shadow plane, a flat dark object, under it which may or may not look right, depending on how well it's made.

Yes, adding the shadow through a ground texture or a flat plane is the method I am sure he was suggesting. I merely pointed out that unless the same method was employed for every object, then I don't see the good in it. I understand that it "marries" an object to the ground, but when it's right next to a fence that is casting no shadow, it still isn't believable.:D

Yea I figured you and dino knew, was just pointing it out to others that aren't aware of it.
Nice john deere tractor. Looks just like the model A that I drove as a kid except mine didn't have a starter on it like this one does. Had to hand crank it with the flywheel, after you opened the cylinder pep-cocks of course or you couldn't crank it. Ours had a tricycle front end though.

Thanks everybody for the great comments.

I've been working on trying to isolate an issue with the route crashing at completely random times. Hold my breath and cross my fingers but I think I have it narrowed down to one of pofig's grasses that was used everywhere on the route. I'm looking for a nice replacement for that grass now but just haven't found anything that suits me yet.

I've also been working a some skins. An SLSF heavyweight RPO car and a couple of coaches. They're basically done but I was trying to figure out how to add some visible passengers as loads to the coaches. I'm not for sure but it looks like I have to add quite a few attachment points to the original mesh with one of PEV's tools that I havene't mastered yet. Hopefully I can get back to working on the route this weekend.

@Deane

I'll be traveling near Bolivar, Mo this weekend to see some family. I should be able to get some additional pictures of those buildings we spoke about.

Last edited:
It's 1954 and we catch the daily train from Springfield to Kansas City departing Gerster, Mo. right on time. The fog is stubborn to leave the lowlands along Weaubleau Creek after heavy morning showers.

The F7 pulls its' usual daily consist of a Frisco mail car and one coach.

sc450.jpg

lEgbD.jpg

RKx7n.jpg

Mzumd.jpg

A1ggt.jpg

qkgqi.jpg

Last edited:
Back