The Basemap Tutorial.

BAMMARS

Further to the assistance I received in a recent thread, (Using O.S. Maps), I would appreciate more help with "The Basemap Tutorial".

I have completed the first six steps but the seventh step has brought me to a shuddering halt.

I believe I have found the Basemap file in the following location:-
C/Program Files/Auran/TRS 2006/local/content 1t9x3ux/198/1 km square a

When opened it shows a coloured square with "map A" in the middle and a heading of "1 km square a [1:2] (Background).

If I am on the right track so far, could someone please explain the first two lines of step 7, i.e. "Save the new image to your hard disk over the Basemap file 1 km square X.jpg ".

Getting this far has really stretched my knowledge of Trainz and computers to its utter limits, so I would be greatly obliged if anyone being kind enough to reply could do so accordingly.

Thank you for bearing with me. Alan.

Hi Alan,

As it was me who started the thread you stated I'll try and explain what you need to know.

When you have a picture (either scanned, downloaded or created) you need to make sure it is saved as '1km square X.jpg' in the desired folder (where X = baseboard no, ie A, B, C etc). You also need to make sure that the size of the image is 1024x1024 pixels.

Hope this helps.

Napalm

Hi, Napalm.

Thanks for prompt reply. I'll work on that later and come back tomorrow if I'm not making progress. Thanks again. Alan.

If I am on the right track so far, could someone please explain the first two lines of step 7, i.e. "Save the new image to your hard disk over the Basemap file 1 km square X.jpg ".

Thank you for bearing with me. Alan.

You are actually copying & pasting the new image into the 1 km square x basemap folder and choosing 'yes' to the prompt 'replace the existing image' or similar Windows wording :)
Best to have a original copy of all the new basemap images in a separate folder and copy/paste into the basemap folders.

When I save, I just navigate to the image file in the basemap folder and double click on it. When I get the "Do you waant to replace..." window I click yes.
Just make sure it's resized to 1024 by 1024. (Not that I ever forgot, or anything.:D >cough<)

:cool: Claude

I've thought about that for using satellite images, since 1024x1024 is nearly 10 meters per pixel.
Maps are coarse enough the finer resolution doesn't make any difference.

2048 x 2048 also works, and gives more detail (but uses more memory)!
4096 doesn't work!!

Will have to try that resolution, working at 1024 x 1024 is difficult due to lack of detail when using images from Google Earth.

Napalm

Wish I'd come on the forum last night.
Instead I spent 3 or 4 hours playing round with the resolution.
Thanks again to all of you for getting me this far.
Alan

When you have created your own basemap, you need to save it under the name "1km square X.jpg". In other words, replace the existing basemap with your own under the same name - a process known as "saving over" the original.

By doing this, you do not have to download all twenty-six base maps. Three should be enough as you just change the image as you roll along the route.

Thanks Jellicoe.

The "saving over" bit got me initially but that was resolved with previous assistance.

There are 9 basemaps in the kit I downloaded but, as you suggest, I think 3 are going to be enough for me to play with. The thought of 26 brings on a panic attack so I'll steer well clear of that lot.

Cheers. Alan

You will also need to work on the config

If in my case you are working on 2-3 routes using these then a working knoledge of config is of use Although if you are useing 2006 this helps as you have an easy to use interface built in.

my first trick is to clone the asset e.g. (1km basemap A)

then in the open for edit screen right click(RC) on the asset go down to edit>(i tend to use edit in explorer as I can do all I need from there)edit in explorer.

The screen should then open up in which is the config, image, etc.

I then drag and drop the image and rename from my working name (IF im doing alot of images I tend to give them a working name which ends up as the asset name).

then open the config file. replace the user name only with the name you require.

then save and close until you get back to the open for edit screen in 2006 and commit your file by either:

RC edit>commit
or
click on the asset and Ctrl+M

hope this makes sence and helps in using this usefull asset.

ttfn

How big is a kilometre (or kilometer, if you prefer)?

I've thought about that for using satellite images, since 1024x1024 is nearly 10 meters per pixel.
Maps are coarse enough the finer resolution doesn't make any difference.

By definition, a kilometre equals one thousand metres. So 1024 x 1024 is approximately one square metre per pixel.

Hope this is helpful.

Peter

I hate it when people are right.:D Someday you can explain to me how I made such a delightfully obvious mistake stick in my head.:eek:

Kester. Thanks for your contribution, and yes, it did make sense. To my delight (because of my lack of knowledge and experience in these matters) I ran it through with no problems.

Cheers. Alan.

Back