That's what I'm talkin' about!

normhart

Trainz Entry Level
So I woke up this morning wondering... why haven't I seen any wood burning narrow gauge locomotives? I mean, what self-respecting pointy-haired lumber co./railroad owner is going to buy coal or oil when he's got perfectly good (and free) fuel right there in his business as a waste product? But, I can not remember seeing a single one, huh! I laid there thinking, "I don't want to mess with trainz, after two weeks of fighting with SP1 I'm tired of it. But... there has got to be some wood burning narrow gauge locomotives, right?"

So I fired up my old PC with 49922 and checked out North Country and Murchison. Right, no wood burners, huh. OK into the CM (grrrr can't search for category "wood burning locomotives") Hum, togog just got through upgrading his stuff... Ah ha! Three wood burners! Two 2-8-0s and a 4-4-0, an excellent start although rather large engines for a smallish lumber company. Search for Shays, nope all coal or oil, darn! Porter? name=porter, category=locomotive nope, all 30", darn! name=36ng, category=locomotive, nope. name=36ng, woah what's this? 36ng porter by narrowgauge. Outstanding but why no Shays or anything else? hum... check TPR, nope, check Carson Carshops, nope. Hum... I know I have all of bdaneal's stuff but maybe I missed something... Bingo three more engines including a Shay!

Import... hum two out of three have problems, Shay's OK though... spend some time sorting out the other two... Woot!

All right, seven wood burning narrow gauge locomotives pretty close to doubling the total number of wood burners... excellent!

2 x 2-8-0
2 x 4-4-0
1 x 2-6-0
1 x 0-4-0 Porter
1 x 2-2 Shay

Hum... find a route to try them out on... ah, Clearlake Lumber V2. Replace the track cause its ugly... add a roundhouse cause, well, its what I do...

None of them run particularly well, darn! Hum... I've been meaning to learn steam locomotive physics as it is in trainz, maybe now's the time. I mean, I have degrees in math and computer science and two years of college level physics, how hard can it be? ... Check the clock. What? Three PM??? I haven't had breakfast yet!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! To heck with all this SP1 happy horse hockey, that's what I bought trainz to do.

LOL

Last edited:
Back